Filed underBIDMC Archive
Putting one foot in front of the other. It’s something most of us do without even thinking about it. But walking – at a brisk pace for an extended period of time – can have many health benefits. Not only benefits for our hearts, bones, and overall physical health, but for our mind and spiritual health as well.
That’s why Beth Israel Deaconess created The Walking Club. It’s a “virtual club.” It’s a compilation of online tools, articles, videos, kits and motivational materials to help you, your family, your neighbors, your coworkers and even your classmates get involved in a walking program. To date, there are dozens of local companies involved in the Beth Israel Deaconess Walking Club as well as twelve Boston Public Middle Schools.
On this website, you will find tools, many created by the clinicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and our affiliate institutions and presented by our CardioVascular Institute which cares about keeping the heart and vascular system of each person in our community strong. Here is some of what this free club offers:
- Free “kits” for download and print out for companies and schools
describing how to start a walking program
- How to access our free pedometer app for iPhone and Android to keep track of
your daily steps
- A personalized “prescription” pad calculator – find out how much YOU should walk
to better your health
- Create an ecard and email it to a friend, inviting them to go for a walk
- Watch videos on the importance of proper walking technique
So grab your sneakers and a friend and get ready to walk! We’ll be with you every step of the way.
Above content provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
For advice about your medical care, consult your doctor.
Posted May 2012