Bag Odor Makes TSA Workers At Logan Airport Sick

BOSTON (CBS) – A luggage room at one of Logan Airport’s terminals was evacuated Monday morning after a strange odor was detected in a bag.

Authorities cleared out the screening room at terminal A, which serves Delta and Continental Airlines, after security searched the piece of luggage and found a chemical around 8:30 a.m.

It turned out to be camphor, which can be used for a number of things.

The owner of the bag was taken off his flight and questioned.  He told investigators he was
flying to Beijing, China and was going to use the camphor as rat repellent.

A hazardous material team was called in, along with state police and the fire department, as a precaution.

MassPort spokesman Phil Orlandella told WBZ-TV four TSA employees were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Several had complained about eye irritation, headaches and scratchy throats.

Orlandella said luggage was hand-checked until the bag room re-opened.

The man who had the bag was allowed to continue on his trip, but without the camphor.

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields contributed to this report.

Comments

1. docrambo says:

Wimps, wussies, and total overreaction on the part of incompetents. I do not believe camphor is on any proscribed list.

1. Daisy says:

Correct. Not only that, but camphor smells Good not Bad.

1. StateRunMediaTakesOver says:

Give me a break. Unelected officials took over Washington and the media after the coup and cover up. Even most of the comments online are financed with your tax dollars. Big brother is trying to create the perception of public opinion while burying the truth. They think you can’t handle the truth. Fact of the matter is we have no democracy, president, and freedom of press is an illusion.

Our next election is shaping up to be as big of a sham as the last. Do you know why Sarah Palin’s bus tour was really canceled? Do you know why she stayed 30 miles away from the second debate and chose the death of Steve Jobs to announce that she’s not running? Know what leaked out? Sarah Palin and Cain aren’t in the race for the same reason, the truth leaked out.

Search PalinsDirtyLittleSecret for the biggest cover up in world history before it disappears forever much like me.

2. David says:

StateRunMediaTakesOver Go back to daily kos or whatever sick leftist site your from troll.

3. Heather Thompson says:

“StateRunMedia” you’re absolutely right. The amount of disinformation posted here and the ridiculous stories in the news have reached epic proportions.

4. p3orion says:

David, I don’t think “StateRunMedia” is a liberal troll, nor is he a conservative (although he may think he is.) If you go to the blog he mentions, you’ll find that he’s actually a certifiable tinfoil-hat nutcase named Aaron, who’s convinced that aliens and dead people have taken over the government, leaving crafty clues hidden in people’s names and online photos. (Of course, only he has figured all this out.) He has about 50 online names, and posts that same message all over the place, without regard to what the story might be (he may not have even read this one before posting, Heather.)

That being said, I recommend his blog highly, as some of the funniest reading you’ll see all day.

5. p3orion says:

If anyone doubts what I say I’ll personally twist your nipples off. I’ve had it with this tin clown tin man.

2. Lloyd says:

There should be a law prohibiting packing dirty laundry in your bagage. It is very offensive.

1. oroaster says:

What? Throw your laundry away? Leave your clothes behind? Its OUR luggage. Dont get me going

2. Anne says:

Yes, and think of what a boost it would be to the economy when people had to replace all the dirty clothes they didn’t have time to wash. Or the businesses that could start that would offer low-cost, disposable clothing for business travelers. You have just solved the economic crisis!

3. SailorV says:

We’ve got enough laws already.

4. dingles says:

There should be a law against Lloyd.

5. Ivan says:

There should be a Federal Department of Laundry dealing with these matters. its ruling should be final. How dare you have your own opinion?!

3. Terry Rohan says:

right-i-o I worked at the post office for 32 years, and those bastages would evacuate the building if a lunch burned in the microwave. its the caliber of the people, and unfortunately, they have taken over. Pod People

4. DirtyDave says:

Well it did work! It chased off those TSA Rats!

2. Donald Trump says:

Were the TSA workers genitals lightly patted down, touched and x-rayed to determine if they were allowed to be sick?

1. Obama Fraud Odor Makes USA Sick says:

2. jockomofo says:

The camphor was actually TSA repellant, and it worked.

1. Rujholla says:

he said it was to be used as rat repellant.

2. RT says:

@Rujholla
        Same difference.

3. Sunshine Connie says:

TSA like many other teat suckers will do anything to get paid time away from work.

4. NoflyI says:

Doesnt matter if its on a list. if the TSA says No…then thats good enough for the Sheeple. People need to wake up!!

5. James Woods says:

What ashame; I know the tsa workers never made anyone sick with their creepyness and sexual harassment.

These tsa workers really are the best of the best and how lucky we are to have them out there doing those 4th amendment smashing jobs.

Where can I get some of this stuff for if I have to encounter these animals?

1. Not Disclosed says:

Any supermarket or drug store.

6. LTCB says:

TSA makes me sick. I refuse to fly until they’re ALL gone.

1. NoflyI says:

Same here. I’ve been making my biz trips via Amtrak.

1. Locke says:

Checkpoints are going in at all bus and train stations.
        They are even going to be on highways. They will also be in all courthouses and will be put in at schools, hospitals, malls, sports stadiums, and so on.
        And it’s going to be the same gropedowns and radiation bakers. Except the x-ray scanners on the highways are so powerful they see through metal.
        It’s called the VIPR program.

2. oroaster says:

I am not flying either, and for some time. It is a sacrifice. I have property in Central America and I havnt been there for years. Not going to be TSAed, TSAd, TSA’d, whatever. Another reason is, Im not sure I wont be in jail by the time its all over. Not ready to make that kind of statement right now.
      But, I have said this enough times that they may be waiting for me. You just dont know anymore.

3. jockomofo says:

If you have to fly, wear a t-shirt that says, “TUCK FSA”. Only those waiting in line will get it. The TSA are too stupid and think it’s a foreign cheer for the USA Olympic team.

4. Spanky says:

Checkpoints not only on roads but the voting booths as well. I’m sure there are plenty of Black Panther members and occupy terds who would happily play ENFORCER to ensure the DNC can fraud the vote this time around.
      It’s imperative to get out and vote this time for A.B.O!

7. Bob Ingersoll says:

Well camphor seems to work on government rats.

1. poorhardworker says:

Love the comment!

8. pred3000 says:

He made the TSA agents sick? Give the man free flights for life

9. Boylston says:

RT @LTCB TSA makes me sick. I refuse to fly until they’re ALL gone.

10. Big jimmy says:

Very few people have to fly. We stupid americans can’t just get it together and say TSA be damned. and the administration be damned as well. LOVE our country. Love its constitution. Hate the administrations that have screwed us in the past and especially the one in power now. Harass the hell out them… Make it impossible for them to see the light of day after they have left office. No broken laws here to the best of my knowlege. No overthrow of government necessary. Not a new style of government, just some honest people running the show for a change.

1. Daisy says:

Very few people have to fly? Really?! The reason most infrequent flyers fly as inexpensively as they do is because so many … so very many … people need to fly. The vast majority of flyers are flying for work related reasons. And the TSA effectively increases the flying time, therefore expenses, of business people. Which costs everyone money. And yes, we do need new people in Government. We need actual Conservatives who will dismantle the TSA.

1. Jim Sherer says:

Actual conservatives have fled, too scared to run against Obambi. No balls at all.

11. Titainiumman says:

It’s about time the TSA got sick they make travelers sick each and every day

12. Garr Obo says:

TSA workers at Logan airport make ME sick.

13. Andy314159 says:

Time for all airports to privatize security!

These TSA guys are sandbagging union whimps. You can buy camphor formulations for medicinal use at any drugstore – just look for Campho-phenique or similar brands.

NORMAL people use it to get well – only TSA slackers pretend to get sick from it!

1. alex says:

I’m going to start packing dirty diapers in my carry on.

2. metalman says:

come on over to my next steelworkers local Union meeting and spout that crap buddy. What do Union workers have to do with this story?

14. Gary says:

“… eye irritation, headaches and scratchy throats”

Guess it was a good opportunity to claim sick dayS; or maybe even workers comp?

1. Daisy says:

Yup. I’m surprised they haven’t staged a walk out, a la public school students, in solidarity w/Trayvon Martin. Overtime.

15. Susan says:

A product long used in home healthcare. How ignorant Americans have become of what has always been used in homes for decades.

Kinda like Doctors who have no idea what prid salve is.

1. oroaster says:

I know, If we have to fly we make sure we have a woolen sweater filled with moth balls (camphor) in our luggage.

16. Barry bin Inhalin says:

The TSA workers give off an odor that makes me sick too.

17. Dan Brown says:

HA HA HA!!! Thanks for the good news!

Too bad it didn’t kill them.

18. Wlider Napalm says:

Honestly, has anyone heard of the TSA stopping a terrorist from attacking? The only thing I have ever heard is they stick their hands of little kids and cop a feel.

19. woody says:

The TSA is just a Federally funded Adult Daycare Program…

20. J says:

The only offensive thing I see in the article are the TSA jackbooted thugs. Get rid of the TSA completely and forever!!!

21. exbobbie says:

‘ was going to use the camphor as rat repellant’

Well at least now he knows that it works on rats.

22. Ferrell Aepps says:

actually, the luggage had a broken bottle of work. the stench of doing something productive forced the lazy monkeys to evacuate

1. Cavalryman says:

Hoorah!

23. george says:

This gives me a great idea. The next time I’m ready to board a plane, I’ll take along a bag of smelly dog feces. Anything to make the TSA folks’ day.

1. oroaster says:

that sounds like fun. can you imagine?!

2. Klaus says:

Great idea. We should all do this. Bring a bag or sealed container of dog feces. When the TSA (if they detect it) asks what it is, tell them it is dog feces and that they can keep it. They won’t know what to do. They won’t know how to dispose of it, whether to call a bomb squad or what. The airport will be shut down, and you can’t get in trouble because dog feces is not a prohibited substance to bring on board. Tell them your dog had to go, and you had to rush to the airport to catch your flight, so you packed it and forgot you brought it. We can end the TSA within weeks if we all do this.

24. odirony says:

The bad odor is the smell of liberties rotting away…

25. Ben Dover says:

Are you allowed to eat pinto beans before you fly????

26. i8pikachu says:

Taken to a hospital for smelling camphor?!?

27. walter12 says:

In that today’s TSA are stooges for this monster Obama, it is very difficult to like the TSA people.

28. Bob Stupak says:

Good, I get sick everytime I have to smell the BO an dbad breath of these lowlifes.

29. Contrairian says:

So, if I send a bag of dog sh-t through like ups, WILL DHS/TSA snort the fumes?
    Giving me something to look forward to… should I light the paper bag on fire? Ring the doorbell and run?

30. Titainiumman says:

having had a 900 dollar cpap machine confiscated by the TSA without my knowledge makes me sick

31. cordstreet says:

Heck, if he wants to kill rats, he should go to Washington.

32. icansayitnow says:

Sounds like none of the TSA workers were informed in enough time about members of Obama’s admin making surprise visits to Boston.
    Not a problem. The boss will make sure they get REPARATIONS for their SINUS cavity searches.

33. NoOin2012 says:

.Camphor use to be a common household item under our current dictatorship its an emergency…the terrorist are winning

34. Texasbil says:

I bet my brother in law could leave them a gaseous odor that would really make them sick.

35. fantum says:

53 TSA Agents went on disability… Several from other airports :)

36. fisher1949 says:

It’s interesting that only TSA workers were affected by the rat poison. Is it poetic justice or that are they really are the vermin they seem to be?

37. Alex says:

Serves the TSA goons right!

38. spaceman says:

When I fly I won’t take a bath for six weeks and let the TSA fondlers get sick from my bag odor.

39. tadchem says:

So now Vicks Vapo-Rub (r) is a hazardous material. I use it on sore muscles,
    My wife treats sinus inflammation with it.

40. flameofjudah says:

Rat repellent? Obviously it works.

41. icouldahad says:

There is only ONE preidential candidate who has stated emphtically that he will eliminate the TSA and that is Ron Paul. Wake up, sheeple, turn off your noise machines, vet the candidates and vote wisely.
    Under President Paul there will be no TSA, no unPATRIOT Act, no NDAA, no bailouts, no backroom deals, no lobbyist coersion, no Big Government to spy on you.
    Under President Paul we will return to sound economic policies as his plan cuts $1TRILLION from the budget and balances it in 3 years.
    Vote for Peace, Prosperity and Liberty. Vote President Ron Paul.

42. joseph says:

It worked. Rats were repelled.

43. Snides says:

This attempt lead authorities to the “Three Wise Men” gang, who were found to be in possession of undeclared gold, frankincense, and mirr.

44. Daniel Bryant says:

That’s odd, because TSA makes ALL of us sick.

Don’t fly 4th of July!

Ban the TSA

45. Klaus says:

I thought this article was about another elderly lady with a colostomy bag being degraded by TSA morons while guns go through the scanners.

46. NoVaNick says:

I am taking bets that camphor will soon be banned by Big Sis Napolitano.

47. jorline says:

It was my son’s socks….sorry!

48. cindinator says:

Apparently it worked well as a rat repellent repelling at least 4 TSA workers.

49. JM in San Diego CA says:

Who are the TSA? Who applies for those jobs? Do YOU want a job doing what you know involves treating the public like cr ap?

Before retirement, I had 46 years with the US Navy, in various capacities, including several positions requiring a Top Secret SI clearance. Those mugs at the airport don’t know about me BECAUSE THEY AREN’T ALLOWED TO KNOW. Everyone of us is just the next tu rd in line

1. Dave-O says:

I’m guessing most of them are out of DC, originally.
      Now that DC is borrowing 40+ percent of what it is spending, it won’t be long before they be out of a job, when the dollar collapses!

2. Real Rick says:

Without the TSA, perverts and pedophiles would have no place to work.

50. BGko says:

What’s that I hear? I think it’s the sound of the world’s smallest violin….

51. VPutin54 says:

Well, then the TSA needs to stay out of my pants, and away from my bag…

52. eric lakdjfaldj says:

tsa agents make me sick

53. glad i ain't one of you says:

“four TSA employees were taken to the hospital for treatment”. what?!?!?!
    how do you live with yourselves people?
    unless you were locked up in a room full of the stuff, camphor is about as harmless as Vicks Vaporub. How is it that we let people abuse the system so openly?

54. Crosscut says:

They will be expecting some paid time off and a compensation check. Poor babies. Time to privatize and put the cost on airlines, airports and fliers, not the taxpayers.

55. karl says:

I’m training my dog right now to “sniff and sit” – I’ve got a black vest for her and I’m going to stencil “DRUG DOG” in white letters on it – then I’m taking her for a walk around those uniforms.

56. mallard says:

i refuse to fly while Obamba is president

57. Donald Trump says:

Every time you are being patted down make sure to fart a big one.
    If every American will fart and pass gas while being molested by the TSA, it will have an effect. Juvenile yes…just like the TSA.

Then people can sue over pain caused by the airlines due to their refusal to allow people to process their natural body function.

Always fart on a TSA agents head when they go to check out your bum for weapons. It is the only defense we have.

58. Donald Trump says:

Fart on the TSA in the USA it is the only WAY.
    FREEEEEDOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. Radioman777 says:

Camphor, the primary ingredient in mothballs. How stupid can a group of people be?

1. Sarnas says:

the TSA will claim they cannot work and need to be on disability + get paid for NOT working…

60. Tom says:

These particular rats don’t tolerate being repelled, it seems.

61. John Potts says:

The best news I have read in a long time. Poor TSA rats. My wife and I are going to drive from Florida to Washington State rather than fly to visit family. I don’t fly unless there is a death in my family. Up yours TSA.

62. TMA1 says:

Well he almost killed some rats.

63. Sarnas says:

the TSA who “felt sick” have done this on purpose – think about it: they will be going on PAID disability medical leave…

a bunch of crooks!

64. jeff says:

It Works!!!!
    It found all the rats and made them ill.

65. Mark Hillyard says:

We had a Camphor Tree in our back yard. They smell good! Kinda anticeptic but that may be the problem.

66. iambicpentamaster says:

I was really hoping it would be a colostomy bag.

Grope that, TSA!

67. glenp says:

touch MY bag and sniff you finger

68. glenp says:

TSA agents sick?? must be the insect nature

69. 1stackmack says:

wow look at all the negativity toward the tsa.l’ve got a friend on the tsa at logan.l hope he wasn’t effected.lf your uncomfortable pbeing security checked before you fly.don’ fly.drive.

1. glenp says:

I do drive you buttcheese. Yes TSA is a great idea, frisking a body cast 5 yr old terrorist, stealing wallets, stealing watches, mocking virtual images, leering at saved female scan, ignoring turban wearing islamofascists in the name of PC, frisking a 85 swedish granny in a wheelchair, making someone expose their ostomy bag, humiliating mammectomy prosthetic wearing women yeah I feel safe you footstool.
      You already proved you’re a moron with your “effected” –it’s AFFECTED to all you illiterates out there
      and BTW I DO DRIVE vs fly

70. Stephen Stein says:

Would you like to smell my bag through the material?

71. jesse james woodworking says:

Nice post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed! Very helpful info specifically the final part :) I deal with such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

72. Ancient Mariner says:

The TSA makes me sick.

Tell the administration to withhold funding from TSA until they respect the Constitution and the public:

1. Remove and destroy all imaging machines that potentially can “see” under our clothing.
    2. Cease and desist all invasive patdowns that involve touching genitalia unless there is probable cause to believe that the individual has committed a crime.
    3. Cease immediately harassment of people who assert their constitutional rights during airport screening.

Thanks for signing.