Boston University Sorority Suspended For Possible Hazing

BOSTON (CBS) – A popular Boston University sorority is under investigation for possible hazing. Campus police found some members so drunk that they needed an ambulance.

Officers say the young women may have been forced to drink. The sorority, Sigma Delta Tau is now temporarily suspended.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports.

“I’m actually surprised it hasn’t happened more because it’s pretty much what fraternity and sorority life is about,” one student told WBZ. “It’s just like it’s in the culture.”

The alleged hazing incident happened earlier this month, with members of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority and it involved alcohol, but the school won’t say much more.

Police were called to Ashford Street in Allston where they found several young women, at least one of whom had to go to the hospital.

A spokesman tells WBZ-TV, “The University takes these allegations seriously. The sorority is prohibited from holding any programs or activities at this time.”

This news comes on the heels of two different, unrelated, but equally high-profile accusations of sexual assault by players on the school’s championship hockey team.

One was last December, the other just last month. Also last month, reports that a peeping tom was taking lewd pictures of women in the dorms.

Comments

1. blackbear1 says:

Animalette House. Way to go BU. You have had quite a year. Nice campus!

2. gramps says:

Now playing on ‘Bay State Rd & Comm. Ave’, new lyrics, ‘It had to BU’…..

It had to BU, it had to BU
    I applied all around, and finally found, the Sorority who
    Could make me be glued, could make me be blue
    And even be mad, just to be sad thinking of U

Some Sorority’s I’ve seen, might never serve me
    Might never be cross, or try to be boss
    But they wouldn’t do
    For nobody else, gave me my fill, with all your faults, I love U still
    It had to BU, wonderful U

It had to BU

Some Sorority’s I’ve seen, might never serve me
    Might never be cross, or try to be boss
    They just would not do
    For nobody else, gave me a thrill, with all your faults, I love U still
    It had to BU, wonderful U
    It had to BU
    For nobody else, gave me my fill, booze with all it’s faults, I love BU still
    It had to BU, wonderful U
    It had to …..BU!

3. BosMonkey says:

Poor, stupid kids – both the hazers and the kids who are so desperate to “fit in”. Isn’t hazing a crime now?

4. fred says:

I went to college thirty years ago. Nothing has changed except back then the age to drink was 18 and stupidity was generally not made so public as it is now. Why do you think Universities are pushing for the drinking age to be lowered? So it absolves the universities of any responsibility. After all personal responsibility is not part of the typical college curriculum.

5. Steohen Rost says:

Slaves to their own master.

6. Rob Cleary says:

BU is one Hundred percent Democratic Freakazoids. Not unlike Harvard. Their daily behavior would have been considered crimes against nature just a few short years ago.

7. AP says:

This is the sad legacy of BU’s administration trying to compete with the large state schools with a tailgate culture. Pandering to Greek life and sports teams for “community spirit” and pandering to the stereotypical image of college hookups by removing the guest policy took away BU’s uniqueness as a school that encouraged adult behavior. Maybe it increased BU’s selectivity in the US News rankings by drawing more traditional college applicants, but it completely sold out BU’s culture as a place where you’re expected to behave like an adult. It’s sad.

8. Monkey says:

Sadly, fewer college students are actually mature, responsible adults.