BOSTON (CBS/AP) — NStar says power has been restored to the last of the customers who lost electricity after a smoky electrical transformer fire in Boston’s Back Bay earlier this week.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Karen Twomey reports
An NStar spokesman says the last 1,500 powerless customers were back online at about 2 a.m. Friday.
However, several people called WBZ-TV Friday morning to report they still have no power in their homes and businesses.
If you, or someone you know, is still without power, NStar urges you to call them at 1-800-592-2000.
About 21,000 customers lost power after the fire Tuesday evening.
NStar chief executive Tom May said at a news conference Thursday the fire was caused by an unusual “catastrophic” connector failure between a substation housing the transformer and the transmission system.
He said cables and generators are a temporary solution, and it’s hoped an undamaged second transformer at the substation can be reconnected.
State utility regulators said they’ll require a full report from NStar.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said NStar shareholders should bear the outage costs.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)