Dropkick Murphys Wont Let Papelbon Use Their Song As Entrance Music Anymore

BOSTON (CBS) — Granted, it wouldn’t make much sense for Jonathan Papelbon to use “Shipping Up To Boston” as his entrance music, now that he’ll be pitching in the City of Brotherly Love, but the Dropkick Murphys are taking a proactive approach to the 2012 season. They won’t let Papelbon use their song anymore.

“He can’t use ‘Shipping Up To Boston,'” lead singer Ken Casey told ESPN Music. “That’s a Boston song.”

Casey told ESPN that he’s already moved on to the Andrew Bailey era in Boston.

“And I have to get with the new Sox closer to let him know he can use ‘Shipping Up To Boston,'” Casey told ESPN. “That’s not Pap’s song. That’s the closer’s song.”

Papelbon served as the Red Sox’ closer from 2006-11, recording 219 saves and winning a World Series along the way. He began using “Shipping Up To Boston” beginning in the 2007 season and he rode along with the band during the rolling rally through Boston.

Comments

1. Frank Davis says:

Now if the Sox will get rid of “Sweet Caroline” and replace it with “Tessie” we all can be happy.

1. Rich says:

For the love of everything that is Red Sox . . . .Please get rid of “Sweet Caroline”!

2. Kristian Svindland says:

Replace Caroline with anything…ANYTHING!!!! My most uncomfortable moment in the past few years was this December when I had an MRI. Not only did I find out I was a bit claustrophobic, but that rancid song came in over the headphones about midway through the procedure. SERENITY NOW!

3. Rob Cleary says:

How about Dead Babies by Alice Cooper?

4. Jim Nicholson says:

Must be a slow ass sports day around here. LOL I am sure Pap is seriously upset that he cannot use that song. I bet he is crying on his $50M pillow and Dropkick Murphy’s are trying desperately to stay relevant…

1. Sean says:

Yeah, their completely sold out St Patrick’s Day tour has them really hurting for attention.

5. Todd says:

Papelbon did not want “shipping off” to be his walkout music anymore. He had asked for it to be changed three years ago and theo told him tough luck. wouldn’t surprise me to learn that one of the reasons he wanted out was that he was sick of that freaking song.

6. Andrew says:

Tessie is the worst song ever, any real dropkick fan hates that song.

7. Stephen Stein says:

Awwwww. I was hoping Pap would insist the Phillies keep the music. His entrance won’t be the same without it!

8. TomH says:

With Pap gone, his choice of entrance music is a non issue. I have to agree with previous poster, please stop playing that awful Sweet Caroline.
    How about The Red Sox Song by Pine Tree Hohn and the Designated Hitters, aka, the late John Lincoiln Wright

9. Geo says:

Good luck PAP…I hope the Red Sox face you in the 2012 World Series and beat you like a rented mule.