Poodle’s Barking Saves Resident From Newton House Fire

NEWTON (CBS) – Everyone inside escaped safely, but a two-alarm fire gutted a duplex in Newton early Friday afternoon.

It started around 12:30 p.m. at the two-family home on Morgan Place.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic reports

Moments later the house was engulfed in flames and thick smoke.

There are no reports of any serious injuries. But all eight people living in the apartment building are now homeless.

According to WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic, one of the residents was sleeping when the fire broke out and was awakened by a barking poodle in time to escape.

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields spoke with a neighbor, whose dog was also barking. She went outside to see what the commotion was about, saw flames, and called 911.

Firefighters had a difficult time getting to the building because it’s on a small, dirt side street.

The fire appears to have started in the basement of the home.

There is no word yet on a cause.

  • Dave_D

    This dog should be named “Lifesaver”! (apologies to Steve Martin, et al)

  • Mark Sergi

    I have photos and footage taken on Watertown St when the fire starterd!
    You could hear sirens, but it took awhile before it was hit with the water hoses.
    Started out small and the wind did the rest.

  • Matthew

    I just returned from this fire. Took multiple photos.

  • http://thisworldaroundyou.wordpress.com Stephanie Rita
  • Matthew
  • Esther

    I have heard and read comments on why it took emergency responders and firefighters so long to respond to this fire. Trust me, I can guarantee that although it may have seemed as if it was a liong time, they were there and actively fighting the blaze within minutes of the 911 calls.. I speak from personal experience. In the early 70’s I, as well as another family, survived a deadly blaze in a three family apartment dwelling in Watertown, unfortunately for the third family, tragic struck with the death of three small children. I commend and praise all emergency responders in a situation as this and would not want to be in there shoes. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victoms of this unfortunate tragedly, but I would like to also stress the fact that material things can be replaced but a life cannot.

  • Stefani

    I want to Thank you Esther. I did not live on the house, but its my family members that lived there. Red Cross, and the Newton city have been a great help. Thank You so much, just continue with your Prayers please. God knows everything, and things happens only if the Lord let it happens. So He is giving us strength, to start everything over again, and putting people in our lives to give donations. Thank You for your Prayers!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live