Police: Fall River Crash Driver Was Drunk, Not Road Rage Victim

BOSTON (CBS) – The driver in a fiery truck crash in Fall River last month who claimed he was a road rage victim is now charged with drunk driving.

Forty-two-year-old Luis Cotto of Taunton was charged Thursday with operating under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and a marked lanes violation in the crash on Route 79 under the Braga Bridge back on February 19.

State police said his story about being a victim of road rage was a lie.

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports

Cotto told WBZ’s Bill Shields the day after the crash that a car cut him off, both vehicles pulled over, a group of men got out, beat him up and took off.

“I got hit from behind, and fell down,” Cotto said. “Then, they were all kicking me in the head.”

Cotto claimed he then crawled back to his truck and started to drive away, but said he saw flashes from a gun, heard several shots and crashed.

“I heard three or four shots, and I ducked under the dashboard,” Cotto told WBZ. That’s when he claimed he struck a guardrail, and his truck burst into flames. “The explosion hit me right in my chest,” he said.

State Trooper Allyson Powell found Cotto unconscious and hanging over a jersey barrier near his truck, which was engulfed in flames.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

Powell was later part of a team of investigators who looked into Cotto’s claims and found them to be false.

“After troopers completed that part of the investigation, they confronted Cotto with their findings. At that point, Cotto recanted his statement suggesting the crash was a case of road rage and made further statements about the crash. He was notified at that time that he was being charged,” State Police said in a statement Thursday.

Comments

1. 1stackmack says:

l hope this bozo never drives again.he has made all of us drivers look bad.

1. 1stackmack says:

l to was on the fence about his story.there is alot of road rage out there.but his story.something wasn’t quit realistic.

2. Matt says:

I believe that I said this guys story was bs from the moment he started talking and several people on this site jumped down my neck.

The apology line can start forming to the left at any time.

1. Julie the Jarhead says:

Anonymous comment posting means never having to say you’re sorry.

3. Dave_D says:

He is charged with OUI, marked lane violation and negligent operation. Errr… how about charges arising from making false statements to the police.

4. sean says:

I’m with you Matt, the minute I read it I called BS. Who gets back into their car after being a victim and drives away without calling 911.

1. paul says:

Liars, Illegal aliens, and drunk truck drivers…evidently

2. Bill says:

And a President’s uncle !!!!!