Bobby Brown Bails On Whitney Houston’s Funeral After Seating Dispute

NEWARK, N.J. (CBS/AP) — Whitney Houston’s ex-husband, Bobby Brown left her funeral on Saturday because of a seating dispute.

The Roxbury native was seen arriving as the service began. He walked to the casket, touched it and walked to the back of the New Jersey church Saturday.

Brown was seen leaving a short time later and appeared upset.

Reports said Brown showed up with an entourage of nine people, but was only supposed to bring two other people to the invitation-only funeral.

Brown later said in a statement that he and his children were seated but asked repeatedly to move. Brown says he left because he didn’t want to create a scene:

“My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston. We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions. I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move,” Brown said in statement. ”Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

Brown is scheduled to perform tonight at Mohegan Sun.

Watch: Whitney Houston Funeral (recorded)

View: Photos From Houston’s Funeral

Houston and Brown were married 15 years and have one daughter together. In 2003, police responding to a domestic violence call about Brown found Houston with a cut lip and bruised cheek. Their tumultuous relationship ended in 2007.

Houston died Feb. 11. A cause of death hasn’t been determined.

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Chacha says:

They can blame her drug use on you no matter how false it is but one thing they can’t blame on you is her death because you were not there but in concert.

1. NATASHA says:

their blaming him because “they” say he got her addicted to drugs so if she indeed died from a prescription overdose or a mixture with liquor they’re blaming him by proxy which isn’t right.

2. NATASHA says:

THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL TO WHITNEY’S NAME TO BE SO PETTY. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONSOLE HIS DAUGHTER. SHE PROBABLY DIDN’T EVEN HAVE A SAY TO HAVE THE OPTION OF HER FATHER TO SIT WITH HER. NO MATTER WHAT WENT ON HE IS STILL HER FATHER. HE AND WHITNEY HAD HER. WHOMEVER TOLD SECURITY TO DO THAT IS PETTY AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES. IF HE BROKE THE RULES OF HOW MANY PPL WERE ALLOWED TO COME WITH HIM THEY SHOULD HAVE TURNED THEM AWAY (WHICH THE PROBABLY DID) AND LEFT IT AT THAT. HE PROB BROUGHT THE OTHER 7 PPL FOR PROTECTION FROM HER FAMILY LOL

1. boo says:

she’s 18, and can say who she does & does not want to have in her life.he’ll probably turn on the tears at the concert in ct tonite. he he is selfish, and had 2 court appearances in mass several years ago for failure to pay child support. yep, he’s a fine role model

3. Tricia says:

Showing his true colors once again. Ignorant!

4. Leigh Ann says:

This was about respect for his ex-wife. He should have kept quiet and played whatever game they were playing by moving him around, taken the high road and honored Whitney. Instead he made it about himself. True colors always show.

1. gramps says:

Whitney paid ‘HIS’ child support….What a guy!

gramps

5. James B. Murphy says:

Let her rest in peace. Mr Bobby Brown did the right thing. Why start war with family. God who care about child support that long time ago in 90s. everyone can only remembers all bad things in life that Bobby Brown did.

6. dan says:

just remember james ..a leopard never changes his spots…oh..you have learn to write

7. Edward Ellis says:

Bobby Brown was and is a Dink. Period.

8. edwina r murrow says:

it is time to pull this & the funeral from being news items. there’s far more important stories to cover than the overtelling of entertainment related items in the guise of legitimate news.

9. My_Penny says:

Bobby Brown came to pay his respects. Security guards were wrong. I am sure we shall all find out the truth eventually of what happened. To all the haters, just STOP. The woman is dead and buried, let her rest in peace.

1. gramps says:

My two cents…

Bobby Brown came with ‘9 people’!….Was allowed, like the other morners, only 3….

He tried to make his own rules….again.

He through his teddy bear & left….Went to his ‘gig’ & ended his day @ a gaming table…..Hopefully he continued to be a loser @ the Casino’s tables!

gramps

10. HOPE says:

Rest In Paradise Whitney….You will ALWAYS being a SHINING STAR…. you had it all… some people don’t get to live have the live you did in 100yrs…. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY….

11. HOPE says:

sorry for the typo… live the “LIFE”

12. HOPE says:

sorry for the typo… “LIFE”