Resident Escapes Burning Apartment Building, Documents It On Facebook

MANCHESTER, NH (CBS) – Several people, including an infant, were saved from a burning apartment building in Manchester early Thursday morning.

The fire at the three-story complex on Eastern Avenue started around 1 a.m. on the outside porch of a first floor apartment, investigators said, apparently from a cigarette.

The flames quickly spread to the third floor and engulfed the building.  There were no sprinklers, because they were not required when the complex was built.

Listen To Trapped Resident’s 911 Call:

There were no reports of any serious injuries, but seven people were rescued.

Two were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

About 40 people were forced out of their homes because of the fire.

One resident, Nate Burdick, shot video of the fire and posted it on his Facebook page.

He also shared his account of what happened:

“I was literally walking out of my apartment with my luggage and the alarm went off as im in the hallway…i thought it was a drill so i went outside and as soon as i opened the door to the lot, BAM. Heat. Craazy. Ran inside to tell my roomie it wasnt a drill and to grab the dog. People screaming like you see in movies. 8 different NH towns fire departments here. I only moved to manchester for a 6 month sublet….this vacation couldnt have come at a better time…ill be on a beach in the bahamas 12 hours from now…”want to get away?”

WBZ-TV’s Lauren Leamanczyk reports

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

WheelMobile
Download Our App

Listen Live