Four Schools In Keene Locked Down During Search For Armed Man
KEENE, N.H. (CBS/AP) — A lockdown at four schools in Keene, N.H., brought on by a police search for a man with a gun has ended after the man turned himself in.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz
Superintendent William Gurney said the schools were under lockdown at about 6 a.m. Tuesday as police searched for “someone with a shotgun who was distraught” following a domestic dispute.
Gurney said police had been searching a swamp area behind the school administrative building and Keene Middle School.
The man identified as 21-year-old Adam Martz was in custody at about 10 a.m. Martz is charged with simple assault and resisting arrest.
Cheshire County Assistant Attorney Chris McLaughlin says Martz struck his girlfriend in the face in their apartment, and when police responded to her 911 call, he fled into the woods with a gun.
The schools involved in the lockdown were Keene High School, the middle school, Jonathan Daniels and Symonds elementary schools.
Gurney said a school lockdown last week in nearby Walpole was in his mind as the decision was made to secure schools, although the situation was different.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)