Whitey Bulger Trial Set For November 5
BOSTON (CBS/AP) — The trial for reputed gangster James “Whitey” Bulger will be November 5, it was announced Monday afternoon.
Earlier in the day, lawyers for Bulger told a judge they need at least another year to go through “a tsunami’s worth” of evidence provided by prosecutors, including more than half a million documents and nearly 1,000 tapes.
Bulger’s lawyers said in court documents filed Monday that a suggestion by prosecutors that a trial date should be set soon is “so unreasonable that it is frivolous.”
Bulger is accused of participating in 19 murders.
WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong reports
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Lana Jones reports
The 82-year-old former leader of the Winter Hill Gang was also a top-echelon FBI informant.
He was captured in June in Santa Monica, Calif., after 16 years on the run.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)