Thomas Pleads The Fifth When It Comes To Facebook Post

By Matt Kalman, CBSBoston

WILMINGTON (CBS) – “I’m out. Peace.”

That’s how Tim Thomas ended his media availability Thursday after the Bruins practiced at Ristuccia Arena.

After two or three questions about the Bruins’ recent struggles, including their embarrassing 6-0 loss in Buffalo Wednesday night, the conversation shifted to Thomas’ Facebook posting from Wednesday afternoon. In it, Thomas used a poem from an anti-Nazi philosopher to sum up his position on a contraception requirement included in an Obama administration healthcare policy.

While this isn’t the first time Thomas has taken to Facebook to air his views – no one will ever forget his decision to skip the Bruins’ visit to the White House and post his opinions about “Big Government” on his page – this time around the two-time Vezina Trophy winner took a specific stance on a hot-button issue.

However, the activist side of Thomas that’s so boisterous on Facebook quickly returned to its turtle-like shell when he was confronted in person by media requesting more information on his opinions and philosophies.

“I say that that’s my personal life, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Bruins or hockey. And I’m going to use my right to remain silent,” said Thomas in response to the first question about his Facebook post.

Thomas used pretty much the same response when asked about whether he’d consider a career in politics after hockey, and when asked whether he thinks his teammates are being impacted by his suddenly attention-grabbing public opinions.

Then Thomas decided to give a lesson in the difference between life and hockey.

“This is my job. Facebook is my personal life. That’s why,” said Thomas about the decision to post things where all the public can read them. “If you guys don’t understand the difference between an individual and what they do as a job, or an athlete and his personal life, then I think there’s a problem.”

Obviously, no one has taught Thomas about the privacy features of Facebook, where he could actually limit who gets to read his proclamations and pronouncements. Or he knows and is just trying to call attention to the matters he deems important without having to actually expand upon his views.

Regardless of the questioning of Thomas, and the fact that many of his teammates were asked about Thomas being a distraction, head coach Claude Julien doesn’t think there’s any dissension in the ranks nor does he blame anything dealing with Thomas’ politics on Boston’s current 5-6-1 run.

“I don’t think I’ve heard anybody, starting from our owner to management to coaches and players, I don’t think I’ve heard anybody support his opinion. But I’ve heard everybody say that we support him as a player, and we do,” said Julien. “We’ve got good team chemistry in that dressing room. Guys certainly don’t, I’ve said that before, we don’t mix politics with our hockey team. And that continues to happen.

“It’s probably something that people would think [is affecting us] because of how poorly we’ve played lately. But I can assure you that there’s no issues in the dressing room, there never will be and that’s where, we’ve got a really good group of players in there that don’t let those kind of things bog them down. And it hasn’t. If it had, I’m telling you right now, I’d feel it. There’s absolutely nothing going on. The guys are just going about their business. So certainly it’s not a distraction and never will be used as an excuse because it isn’t one.”

Thomas, who earlier had explained that the media has a right to ask questions about his Facebook posting but he also has a right to decline to answer, made it clear toward the end of his time in the dressing room that from now on he would end any media discussion once he gets a question about politics. When asked if he regrets making Wednesday’s posting, he put his head down and made a bee line through the crowd toward the Bruins players’ lounge.

“I’m out. Peace.”

The Bruins can only hope that things continue to be peaceful now that Thomas has discovered the power of Facebook.

Matt Kalman covers the Bruins for CBSBoston.com. He operatesTheBruinsBlog.net and also contributes coverage to NHL.com and several other media outlets. Follow him on twitter@TheBruinsBlog.

Comments

1. Dick Mac Donald says:

I agree with Tim Thomas 110%. He has a right to his opinion. The worse part of his remarks he is in the public spotlight and the press will speard his remarks for the news.

2. gramps says:

Tim took & passed with flying colors….Bill Belichick’s

“Dealing with the press ‘101’”

Good job Tim!

gramps

3. ronrico says:

why is what Tim Thomas said controversial . Is it acceptible to say he supoports killing of babies .Does everyone have their heads on wrong these days ????? We are forced to accept all kinds of perversion but its ok to offend Catholics and other Religions ….

1. donny says:

ronrico,

YES! And in keeping with the law and personal accountability you agree that those who are involved with the “killing of babies” (pregnant women, doctors) should be tried for 1st degree murder. Possibly executed in those states with capital punishment.

Correct?…

2. donny says:

ronrico,

C’mon pal. Support me on this. “Killing of babies” requires death to all the guilty parties! We’re talking first-degree murder! PRE-meditated murder of a baby!!

Where’ you go?… You said it. “killing of babies” – now follow it to its logical conclusion…don’t disappear now!

Unless…

…you really don’t think it’s “killing of babies” but you just like the way that sounds, as its get the other ‘righteous’ people all riled up….ronrico?…. WHERE ARE YOU?…

4. Madlyn Peterson says:

Tim Thomas is my hero!!

5. Joanne says:

Tim Thomas doesn’t owe the media or anyone else an “explanation” for his comment. What’s to explain?? He doesn’t like the fact that the federal government is shoving socialized medicine down our throats and forcing religious institutions to against their beliefs!

How about moving on to a story that matters!

1. YaKnow says:

Totally agree Joanne.
      Love ya Tim…

2. donny says:

Joanne,

By responding here, contrary to your statement, you show the ‘media’ that this story DOES matter.

Mr. Thomas needs to realize he’s paid handsomely to stop pucks BECAUSE of the media’s attention. He’s decided to grab the spotlight by airing his views publicly. More power to him – but please stop with the ‘hey! look at me’ but ‘don’t look at me’ BS.

Go Bruins!

6. GreenMonster says:

Tell it like it is Tim…..keep it up

7. msw says:

Why did this religious zealot post his views publicly on Facebook if he doesn’t have the nerve or perhaps it’s the lack of intelligence to be able to talk about it when asked by the press?

1. Pat says:

Every one has a right to their opinions, not just Barbara Streisand, etal…. Nor, does anyone have to feel compelled to defend thier opinion. A religious zealot, lack of intelligence? I don’t think so but hey, that’s your opinion! What a country!

8. firemanmark says:

2 United States Border patrol agents were murdered with weapons that were sold to Mexican drug cartels by the United States Government! Now how come all the Liberals don’t have their panties in an uproar over this? I’ll tell you why.Because then Obummer and his criminally responsible Attorney General would have “a lot of splainin’ to do”.Eric Holder should be indicted for conspiracy to sell weapons to criminals and treason.The Idiot in the white box should be impeached and jailed! Bring it on Barry! NOW THAT’S NEWS!

9. Bridgeman says:

Tim Thomas is a public figure because he plays hockey. Although he and everyone has a right to their opinion, but when he places his “extreme” opinions, in a public forum, comparing our gov’t to Nazis, he should not be surprise and ready to respond. He should have put his team before his politics and went to D.C. He created this mix of sports and politics when he chose what was more important to him. He put himself in the hot seat that day. Anyone who chooses his politics over his team is selfish, then continues his platform in the public, invited him self into the media spotlight. If he chooses to do what he does best, play hockey, then he remains part of a team, stops the political questions, and we can all move on.

10. posicionamiento web en buscadores says:

Tremendous things here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks so much and I am looking ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

11. Latest Movie News says:

Fantastic website. Lots of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you in your sweat!