Keller @ Large: Cheer Up – Future Still Looks Bright For Patriots

BOSTON (CBS) – Am I disappointed with the outcome of last night’s game?

Of course I am, just like everyone else.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

But unless you’re completely inconsolable, bear with me for a minute and I’ll try my best to help you look on the bright side.

First of all, let’s put the fact that we lost another close one in some context.

You may recall that the three Super Bowls we’ve won, in 2002, 2004 and 2005, were all won by three points, two of them on last second field goals.

So while losing a close one is tough because of all the what-ifs, let’s remember that we’ve won more of those than we’ve lost, and be grateful for that fact.

If we can do that, then it’ll be easier to put whatever disappointment we have in some of our favorite Pats behind us.

Do we wish Tom Brady had not thrown that interception, and that Wes Welker had not dropped that late pass that would have all but sealed the win?

Yes, we do.

But we also realize that we wouldn’t have been anywhere near this game without the heroics of Brady and Welker.

If you are a true Pats fan, you still love both of them, and look forward to watching them lead us back to the big game again next year.

I’m sure some of the talk radio crowd will be wallowing in negativity today, speculating about what our players and our Hall of Fame coach did and didn’t do.

But that’s silly.

Coach Belichick, Mr. Kraft and everyone else involved with the team did everything within their control to win.

But in football, things happen that are out of your control.

The injury to Gronkowski and the circus catch by Manningham come to mind.

Compare that with the performance of those who put together the horrendous Madonna halftime show.

They had everything within their control, and still failed miserably.

So while I’m not exactly whistling a happy tune today, I refuse to get down on our Pats.

I love their effort, and the fact that they’re a young team on the rise.

Wait ‘til next year.

The Pats will do better, and hopefully, the Super Bowl halftime show producers will, too.

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Annie Bresnahan says:

i completely disagree with your opinion of the halftime show. i thought madonna put on a great performance. it was entertaining, upbeat and fun to watch. i am sorry that you did not appreciate the effort.

1. gramps says:

Annie,

You missed……a ‘Janet Jackson’ moment!

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – For all the pomp and excess of Madonna’s Super Bowl halftime extravaganza a single extended middle finger by guest singer M.I.A. is likely to be the most remembered piece of the show.

The gesture, accompanied by a barely disguised expletive, came during a performance of Madonna’s new single, “Give Me All Your Luvin.’” At the end of her lines, M.I.A. appeared to sing “I don’t give a …k.”

Your feel for last nights hakftime is equaled only by your lake of knowledge of the ‘UPPER CASE’

gramps

1. gramps says:

& my miss spellings!

gramps

2. tsalnew says:

hahahahahahaha – I needed a laugh this morning :)

3. gramps says:

Thank Annie, I’m glad she gave you a smile.

gramps

2. tsalnew says:

Jon again well said – nothing can get me down on our team. It was a great game and yes there were missed opportunities. I totally agree on the halftime show. It was inappropriate for an audience that included young kids to begin with and gramps you are correct in your post. To add to it, the commercials were horrible. I will never understand paying that kind of money for an ad and having it leave an audience saying “huh?”

3. response says:

That was not a circus catch by Manningham…please…With Victor Cruz being covered all night, Manningham played a great game. The Giants Defense played a huge part in the win last night as well. However, I certainly do not expect anyone in NE to give credit to another team.
    Your team did not fail miserably, the game came down to the wire. Very exciting to watch the entire game.

4. bryncrw says:

WE? and what number are you? I don’t recall seeing you play. Are you a player? coach? Jock handler? What exactly is your job with this team?

5. FireGuyFrank says:

Sorry, Jon, but the future for the Patriots is cloudy at best. They need two receivers and help at defensive back. Let’s not forget that Tom Brady is 34, and the clock is ticking down on his career. That means the Patriots need to have a new QB ready in the wings. Given his performances lately, one has to wonder if Tom is closer to retirement than we want to believe.

1. BostonIrish says:

Frank, I disagree with the Brady assessment. I think he’ll make it to 40 and still be a strong quarterback. They need a better secondary on defense, and a healthy Gronkowski. I don’t think they’re in a hurry for another receiver.

It was a good year, made it to the Super Bowl, and lost to a very good Giants team. The Pats and Giants match-up very well. Manning is very good. So’s Brady.

1. Willow says:

BI, I think your assessment is right on.

2. tsalnew says:

excellent comment BostonIrish and I also disagree with Frank’s assessment of Brady

No one can say it wasn’t an exciting game.

3. BostonIrish says:

Thank you both. I enjoy your opinions.

2. tsalnew says:

Frank – and I take no credit for any of these comments as I was just discussing Brady and the team with my son in law. I tend to like to make sure I have my facts straight :)

39 TDs this season and passed for second most amount of yards in a single season. Only second to Brees who broke record this year. First half of year had interception problems – didn’t second half. I’m not thinking Brady is close to being a has-been.

For Pats – they have the most AFC salary cap room – 20 milliion. They have two first and two second round draft picks (maybe 2 third). All that spells greater chance for improvement. Brady completed 16 passes in a row – super bowl record. Brady also had

Ocho is a has-been with 15 receptions this year.

1. tsalnew says:

well that posted odd – repost that actually can be read – apparently gramps posting is contagious – sorry about that

Frank – and I take no credit for any of these comments as I was just discussing Brady and the team with my son in law. I tend to like to make sure I have at least some of my facts straight :)

Brady completed 16 passes in a row – super bowl record. Brady also had 39 TDs this season and passed for second most amount of yards in a single season. Only second to Brees who broke record this year. Yes, first half of year had interception problems – didn’t second half. I’m not thinking Brady is close to being a has-been.

Ocho is a has-been with 15 receptions this year.

3. gramps says:

F.G. Frank, you state:

‘The Patriots will pick 31st — barring trades. The chances of finding the help they need that deep down in the draft is slim.’

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

“Don’t think so Frank….

FYI: Brady was the PAT’s 6th round draft pick….aka…. the 234th person drafted in the 2000 NFL draft….

The PAT’s are in the ‘cat-bird-seed’!

gramps

6. emom says:

The PATRIOTS got to the super bowl, that’s a HUGE plus. The score was very close. At any point it could have gone either way. Gronkowski’s injury was a HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN. I watched that game and knew it was not good. I saw how the other player grabbed his legs together and twisted him he went down hard. He could have tried to fight that hold and broke his leg, ankle or torn something.. BUT he didn’t. Was he being cautious YOU BET.. if he had re-injured that leg and ankle he would be out all next season,, It was a nail biter game But a good game..
    As for the half time show… it was OK, I mean I have seen better from Madonna, I was not all that impressed with the other singers, There seemed to be to much back ground noise to hear the song, were there mics on . It’s funny I was talking to my kid hours before the game and had mentioned the wardrobe malfunction last time, and hopes there would be none this time… Its funny there almost was one..
    Did anyone see the tuft of HAIR stuck in the zipper of the robe she wore during like a pray… I think she was wearing hair extensions. .
    Again it was Just an OK half time show..
    Now for the commercials.. OK WHAT THE HECK…. I mean,, they were like watching regular commercials every day… I found three I giggled on , the Doritos baby that got me, and Betty White, cant remember the last one. BUT some just left me thinking AHHHHH WHAT. that’s it, is that all you have to offer… For one where was the Budweiser horses, other than one commercial were they brought in the beer,,, THEY ARE THE STARS.. The car commercials well just OK,, Darth Vader stole the show last year. It wasn’t the same this year. The E trade baby,, all I can say is,,, BORING SNOOZE FEST… and finally I am not a fan but were was the Victoria Secrets commercial… Did they forget them. Besides a few chuckling commercials ,, the whole thing well was JUST OK… entertaining at best but not over the top and were was the WOW FACTOR…. Better luck next year.

7. Jeff D. says:

I agree, except on one point. The halftime show was great. Best one in a long time. Madonna at 53 can still rock.