Gronkowski Contained, Feeling New Kind Of Hurt After Super Bowl Loss

INDIANAPOLIS (CBS) – For the last two weeks, most of the talk surrounding the New England Patriots was about the left ankle of tight end Rob Gronkowski.

But the 22-year old is feeling more than just physical pain after New England’s 21-17 Super Bowl XLVI loss to the New York Giants.

“It definitely hurts. Just losing the game hurts so much; how we dedicated ourselves, how much our teammates all went through, just grinding every single day and every single off day all together,” he said.

It was evident the blossoming super star was not his normal self, lacking the ability to make his cuts and get open.

The Giants made sure to get physical with Gronkowski, testing his ankle. He was held to just two catches for 26 yards, 20 of which came on one reception in the second quarter.

That reception seemed to spark the offense, as they marched down the field and put seven points on the board to take a 10-9 lead before the half.

“He still did a great job even though he had that hurt ankle. He played through it and he still had a good game for us,” said fellow tight end Aaron Hernandez, who reaped the benefits of Gronkowski’s being targeted only three times, hauling in a team-leading eight receptions.

Tom Brady did not go back to Gronkowski after that 20-yard reception until the fourth quarter, when he was intercepted by Chase Blackburn on a deep pass.

“You hate to throw those. I wish I would have gotten a little more on it,” Brady said of the interception. “(I always want to give Rob) a chance to make the play. I just came up a little bit short.”

Although he looked hampered by the injury and did not make much of an impact, the tight end said he was A-OK when it came time to take the field.

“I was good. I was 100-percent out there doing everything they asked me to do.”

According to WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche, Gronkowski had a ‘setback’ in practice last Thursday and several teammates were amazed that he was able to play at all.

Gronkowski was not expected to have much of a hand in the offensive attack, other than blocking and serving as a decoy. And the reason for having just the two receptions was pretty simple: the Giants physical defense.

“Just how they defended; they’ve got a good defense. They played well, and Tom hits open men,” he said. “Unfortunately, he was just hitting the guys that were open and that’s how it goes.”

“They’re a good team; hats off to them.”

Comments

1. Steeler Nation says:

It is impossible to win without cheating

1. gramps says:

How about ‘QB’s that rape?

gramps

1. Giant Fan says:

How do you rape a groupie that throws herself at you? Same as Kobe situation, no rape, highly inappropriate, but no rape. Don’t project your pain. Golden Boy’s era is over, it would have been too much to let him walk away with this one as well. If his head swells too much and implodes, what do you do for a QB next season?

I do feel your pain a bit. To get beat twice by the same team, to make five SB appearances and two get spoiled by the same team, this is just too much pain to inflict on Patriot Nation, but I’m sure you can deal.

2. donny says:

Steeler Nation,

So the Giants are cheaters?…

2. 6 Time World Champs says:

Ben wasn’t convicted of anything………..The Pats were fined for cheating

1. donny says:

” This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn’t think it helped us. Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches.

These players don’t know what their coaches are doing, and some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That’s why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn’t make Belichick right, but a lot of teams are doing this.”

-Jimmy Johnson
      FOX analyst and NFL head coach

3. Louie says:

I’m surprised that the Team relied so much on Gronk in the Super Bowl, One of the NFL’s most impressive coaches (Belichick), should have had another option available… it was not an impressive win by the Giants, but a win is a win…