Keller @ Large: Missing The Snow? No Way!

BOSTON (CBS) – If I hadn’t heard it with my own ears, I wouldn’t have believed it. But yesterday, as we all basked in the glow of yet another unseasonably warm winter day, a friend of mine said, and I quote: “Gee, I miss the snow.”

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

“I miss the snow?”

Are you kidding me?

Let’s stipulate that we all want to see our fellow citizens prosper, and thus are not unsympathetic to the plight of ski areas and other snow-related businesses that are taking a hit from our unusually mild winter.

Most ski area do have snow-making equipment, and even though there may be no snow in your backyard to inspire you, if you enjoy skiing or other winter sports you should definitely take advantage of what they’re offering on the slopes.

But I’m afraid that’s the end of my sympathy for the snow-deprived.

The rest of us are absolutely loving this winter, and wish every winter could be just like it.

You can walk the dog or take your tot out in a stroller without fear of falling or encountering unnavigable snow banks.

You can drive somewhere without having to chip away at the ice to get into your car and worrying about getting stuck or spinning out on the way.

When you get there, available parking is not constrained by huge piles of plowed or unplowed snow.

The streets have remained relatively clean as Bostonians are apparently less likely to chuck their trash just anywhere when there is no snowbank to hide the evidence.

And the best part of all – I’ve been able to keep the mega-parka, the one that makes me look like the Michelin Man on steroids, in the closet, where it belongs.

Meanwhile, our heating costs are down, snow removal expenses have been negligible, and almost everyone is in a much better mood.

So far, that is.

Experience tells us this winter could still turn nasty.

But missing the snow, ice, and relentless bitter cold?

Not me, friend, no way.

And I bet my allies on this outnumber yours 10,000 to one.

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. tsalnew says:

Jon, may I request that you speak for yourself and not the rest of us. I am a snow lover. Well, I love anything weather. I live in new england for the seasons – one of which is winter and winter means snow. I have a pair of snowman socks a few people here could tell you about and would gladly burn. I got them last winter from a friend and we all remember last winter. I have worn them once this season – just prior to halloween.

Don’t make me put them on again ;)

1. gramps says:

How many Deaths, Maiming’s, Broken Bones, & Heart Attacks have been avoided by the ‘soft hand’ of Mother Nature this year?

Back in the day, your ancestors must have had ‘season tickets’ @ the Coliseum….

gramps

1. tsalnew says:

My husband lived in Rome for a number of years – does that count? Maybe not – he doesn’t like snow.

If snow storms are the worst New England has to offer, I’d still take a snow storm to earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, mud slides, hurricanes.

2. Italo says:

One thing that we should all remember, though, especially for any of us who have lived here all our lives, is that at least Boston proper is not an area of New England that has ever been statistically guaranteed big snowstorms, including one after another, each winter. It has never been like that around Boston and the east coast surrounding it, where the relatively milder ocean air often influences us receiving less steadily heavy snows and frigid temperatures. There have been lots of winters around here that didn’t see much snow — or that received big snows very early and then again very late in the winter season.

For all my fellow bloggers who love snow, even though I dislike it I would be glad for them if it happens, because this is the time of the year when snow happens. I feel the same way in the summer, which I love, because that is when I’d more expect regularly sunny, precipitation-free, and warm weather. But as far as I’m concerned, for what my two cents might be worth, I stopped loving snow when I became old enough to be expected to help clean it up and to have to commute to college and work through it. Unless you give me a sleigh and a weekend at a ski resort with a fireplace and cognac, I am feeling no reason at age 49 to care about needing or loving snow! :)

3. Italo says:

2. aquamane says:

Keller hit the nail on the head here….we all get it, it usually snows here during winter months and some rely (perhaps too much?) on it for income. But New England is a fickle and often unreasonable place to live. Take last year’s harsh winter and roof collapse mania this time of year….don’t forget the “100” year floods that occurred just a couple of years ago in March….this winter is fine with me, we know that they won’t all be like this one. So what?, we get a bit of a pass, so far, this winter….let’s hope for a more “normal” Spring, because we may just get another surprise we didn’t expect this year!

3. Stephen Stein says:

My wife totally agrees with you, Jon.
    But now you have to show off that Michelin Man parka on the air! Please?

4. Bob Muise says:

You may love the way that this winter is going so far but like many things, there are + &- to some things, such as winter/snow. What do you think is going to happen w/o or little snow this season? Water Shortage. As a general rule of thumb, w/ little to no snow melt during the spring, what’s going to replenish thes/ rivers/streams in the spring-rain does help but even the rain that we received so far is only a bandaid-not enough. Also, what do you think that may be in store for us for the summer-I see a more hotter & stormy summer possible. How many tornados were there for 1 day last summer (Springfield/Worcester) iinwhich 1 of them was an F3. Fasten your seatbelts people, its gonna be a rough one.

1. tsalnew says:

maybe yes and maybe no – however, I’m inclined to think when we have one very quiet season that there will be a problem down the road as you have said. Either way – not a thing we can do about it.

The daffodils on the side of my house are up about an inch. I talked to a friend in New Ipswich, NH. Hers typically start to sprout a 3-4 weeks after mine. Some of hers in protected areas are sprouting also.

2. nevermind says:

Huh? Lack opf snow, and resulting Spring meltoff, out west could certainly produce shortages. But here in New England, we rarely experience serious droughts. How long have you lived here Bob Muise? Check the records and you’ll find that most rainfall average above normal for the full year but may certainly vary seasonally. It almost always balances out in the Northeast….don’t forget where we live, it’s a FOREST, not a desert here. We get lots of precipitation and while droughts do occur, they are usually of short duration. What really matters more is what effects we have during transitional seasonal periods, like winter to spring, etc. You seem a bit like an alarmist and Lord knows the media provides us with plenty of the “fear factor”….no worries yet about drought in 2012!

1. tsalnew says:

nevermind – Not sure what you are referring to; however, many of the communities just outside of Boston as well as into Worcester county has water bans last year.

3. nevermind says:

Huh? Lack of snow, and resulting Spring meltoff, out west could certainly produce shortages. But here in New England, we rarely experience serious droughts. How long have you lived here Bob Muise? Check the records and you’ll find that most rainfall average above normal for the full year but may certainly vary seasonally. It almost always balances out in the Northeast….don’t forget where we live, it’s a FOREST, not a desert here. We get lots of precipitation and while droughts do occur, they are usually of short duration. What really matters more is what effects we have during transitional seasonal periods, like winter to spring, etc. You seem a bit like an alarmist and Lord knows the media provides us with plenty of the “fear factor”….no worries yet about drought in 2012!

5. mikey says:

Today’s ski report for northern New England: one to three inch rocks.

6. John O'Brien says:

Perhaps I’m on the losing side, but if this “fake” winter is a sign of global warming, I’m voting “yes” for it. I am not a driver, so everywhere I go is either public transportation or one foot after another. And since I’m pushing 85, that’s not easy in the snow and ice.

7. Stephen says:

You said it.

8. Jerry says:

Good Morning Jon:
    Being a snowlover may I offer this advice to you.
    Stick to Politics.
    All those filthy rich and out of touch baffoons should keep you busy enough.
    Not one of them are worthy of our vote so that should give you alot to write about.

1. BostonIrish says:

I’m sure Jon will take your advice under consideration.

Last I checked I enjoy politics and I have preferences regarding the weather.
      I’m pretty sure that your opinion doesn’t matter either way. I think Jon has his opinions on both as well. Do you own all that matters regarding the thoughts and opinions of others that you can advise them to not speak theirs? No.

9. Scott says:

We get alot more bad winters than we do good winters. We’ll take this one in a heartbeat! Wasn’t yesterday real nice – don’t wont snow . Bring on spring!

10. I wonder.. says:

…why home heating oil prices haven’t dropped?

1. TheLessWeUseTheMorePrices says:

………will continue to go up. The less consumers use, the higher the price needs to be in order for the oil companies to make their tidy profit.

11. emom says:

Jon, so agree, Yes its far easy to get around.. I don’t miss the snow this year not even a little.. OK maybe a little. Last year was horrible for me, all that snow , storm after storm. No rest from it and then ICE. So much ice, Had a spin out on a country road last year. NOT FUN. Ice under a snowy road is always a bad mix. And shoveling the snow was even worse had issues with my elbow for a very long time. this year I hurt that same elbow in the summer time so very glad I did not have to shovel , well at least so far. Driving was horrible last year, You know those snow piles at the corners where so high and seeing around them was no fun.
    MISSING THE SNOW, well only a bit but not missing the clean up and the never ending cost of ice melt. HUGE SAVINGS THERE.
    As for the weather for the rest of the year, I feel we could see more rain in the future, Hurricanes well maybe but I think thunder storms might be a thing this year. We haven’t had many in a while.. Lets just thank our lucky stars that it has been a mild winter and that town costs are not up and kids have not missed any school around some areas. But we still have a few months to go and then we can relax. Till then My ice melt is ready, the shovel is by the front door and the snow plow is ready.. Now wear are those gloves, I did have a few pairs around a few weeks ago.. LOL,, MICHELIN MAN PARKER. I bet it keeps you warm, but can you move in it….
    Well enjoy the weather as we all know just wait a bit it will change,,,,,,,,

12. Stanley11 says:

As long as the Bruins are winning, I am happy with winter (which right now, they are not……Grrrrrrrrr).

13. 4 season lover says:

For those people that do not like snow, consider moving to a warmer climate. Many people rely on the winter money to survive. They do not have a choice on what job to work. W inter activities bring in Hundreds of millions of dollars to NE. In a down economy, every winter dollar means stability for a family. My wife and I love snow and the winter activities it brings. Every year we hear the same news people say they hate snow and wish winter would never arrive. They want the temperature to be always warm to hot. MOVE!!

1. tsalnew says:

4 season lover – I never do understand why people say they do not like this area yet they stay. Odds are, however, the same people complaining about the snow will also complain about the summer heat and humidity.

14. andyme says: