Report: Tom Brady’s ‘Arrogance’ Fueled Giants In Super Bowl XLII

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Hey, who are you scoffing at?

That was the feeling four years ago among a handful of Giants defenders when Tom Brady pooh-poohed Plaxico Burress’ Super Bowl XLII prediction.

Justin Tuck told the New York Post that when Brady disrespected Burress’ 23-17 pick in favor of the Giants, the whole room “turned red.”

“I remember the arrogance of the whole way he scoffed,” defensive end Osi Umenyiora told the paper. “I remember that making us particularly angry.”

Osi added: “We just knew then that we were gonna take his head off. We just knew that right then. I mean, come on, man. There’s levels of arrogance, you understand what I mean? In the interview, like psssshhh, ‘We’re only gonna score 17 points?’ ”

The Giants, of course, went on to beat the then-undefeated Patriots 17-14 thanks to “The Catch” from Eli Manning to David Tyree — and excellent play on defense.

This season, the Patriots have won 10 in a row (two in the playoffs on top of eight in the regular season). With another win on Feb. 5 in Indianapolis, Brady and company would give New England their fourth Lombardi Trophy.

Beware, Giants. This time it’ll be Brady out for revenge.

“I still can’t watch highlights of that (Super Bowl XLII) game, I think that’s just the way it is,” Brady told Boston’s WEEI radio on Monday. “You get to the end, and we had a great opportunity there and really squandered it because we didn’t play our very best.”

The key might be to rattle the Patriots quarterback.

According to the New York Daily News, one assistant coach in the NFL found a glaring weakness when dissecting game tape from last year’s Jets playoff win over New England.

“There’s not a doubt in my mind that they rattled him. He started seeing things that weren’t even there,” the unnamed coach told the paper. “He’s human. He literally ducked down one time and there was no one there. Nobody was close to him. He thought he saw something and it wasn’t there. He literally ducked. We were literally like, ‘Did you see that? Is that really Tom Brady?’ ”

Will Brady get his revenge next Sunday, or will the Giants make it 2 for 2 in the Super Bowl against the quarterback? Sound off below…

Comments

1. Vince R. Johnson says:

They beat the Pats the last 3 meetings… I dont see it happening a 4th time!

2. Paul says:

I do see it happening again…..THAT is why it won’t.

3. Barry Beaupre says:

I am not sure I understand what got them upset. If you play for a team and someone on the other team predicts a score, are you supposed to agree with them?

4. James says:

That’s a bogus story. You mean to tell me that the Giants were just gonna sit back and let Brady play QB, until they heard him disrespect Buress’ prediction. Also, some phantom NFL coach is the only person in the world to notice a flaw in Brady’s play.

5. Joseph Jordan says:

The big mistake was going deep to Randy Moss twice in a row with double coverage. Welker, Watson, and Stallworth were wide open. If the Patriots are smart, they won’t make any mistakes. Mistakes are how the Giants beat them in the regular season and how they beat the 49ers last weekend. True, a BIG mistake is how they beat the Ravens last weekend. The plan should be to have the Giants 28-3 at half-time and make them force Eli to show his so-called “eliteness.”

6. Thank You Soldiers says:

I sure hope the Patriots make it through this and come out on top. I do have the feeling it will come down to a late game strip sack and lead to either a short field for a winning score or it will put a nail in the coffin and hold a small lead. Just not sure what team. I like to think it will be a Patriots offensive flurry and win big but I see a close game coming down to a turnover. I bet Brady doesn’t scoff at any predictions this year though.

7. Frank Defelice says:

If Brady stays focused, the Pats will win. If his concentration weakens, they will lose.

8. BCHBUM258 says:

60 mins of patriot football! that will get us another lombardi trophy! `DO UR JOB!’

9. bchbum258 says:

vince it was last 2x! pats beat em to go undefeated regular season! can’t make mistakes or turn ball over,need tom on top of his game no give aways!

10. ck says:

Giants are a more balanced team than the Pats. Focused or not ,they can’t beat the Giants. If it comes to a last drive, i’ll put my money on Eli and those good receivers to once again expose that weak secondary of the Pats

11. bob says:

if the giants throw 58 passes again they will win….the patriots defense still isn’t any good against passes… they will leave guys uncovered or get pass interference calls for long yard or touchdowns…..I HOPE I’M WRONG

12. FD says:

More nonsense about motivation and how we were dissed and blah, blah, blah. Brady’s comment didn’t mean squat. Why was it okay for Brady to scoff at the score but it was okay for Tuck to make the arrogant prediction???
    Brady’s response had no impact on the game, nor did Tuck’s prediction have any impact. As many NFL vets will tell you, all the hooplah, and anger, and excitement, and bulletin board material means nothing afte rthe first couple of minutes on the field. Then everybody settles into the gameplan. And that’s what wins — gameplan, talent, one-on-one matchups. And the Giants game plan was better, whereas BB did not make adjustments until it was much too late. In fact, Tuck’s D blew it by letting Brady score with a couple minutes left. Then the Pats D imploded against the final drive.
    “Brady’s arrogance…” “The Giants wearing the black suits…” Tuck predicting the score…. all rubbish and nonsense. The Gmen won because on gameday their plan and execution was better than the Pats.

13. Tim says:

Well, what did they think Brady would say – “Yeah, you guys are better, you will most certainly win”? This is all BS. My feeling is that Brady is more than highly motivated this time for a bunch of reasons; doesn’t mean he will win, but it does mean that he will not make the mistake that causes them to lose.

14. WHAT says:

So let me get this straight, Brady’s arrogant , but Buress is the one that is making predictions ? REALLY ! WHAT A CROCK ! I HOPE THE PATS DESTROY THOSE ARROGANT S O B’s

15. Jim MacLean says:

Brady, BB, Defense, Offense, EVERYBODY will be totally focused next Sunday. Brady hates to lose more intensely than he likes to win. Both teams will be prepared like any other SB or game. Brady is not arrogant. He’s a true professional in every sense of the word and a class act. That doesn’t take anything away from Manning. He’s a great quarterback. This game is well matched where Pats are strong in areas where Giants are not and visa versa for the Giants. It’s going to be all about who wants it bad enough to take to the next level and win.

16. David A Keedwell says:

the giants say it will be different this time cause they had alot of injures,hello we had alot of guys out of that game too.and we lost with 11 seconds after 5 turnovers our offensive line is healthy again so bring it on you N.Y.LOSERS

17. Kent says:

The Giants are better on defense and just as good on offense. Giants were able to beat the Pats without Bradshaw and Nicks in the regular season so now with them playing is going to make it that much harder on the Pats and it doesn’t look good for them. And that pass rush of the Giants is playing like a bunch of animals,every single player on their line can get at the QB! Bellicheat is going to have to have a perfect game plan to beat the Giants.

18. James says:

‘Belicheat’ How clever. Wonder if he was cheating when he was w/the Giants?

19. R L says:

Why is WFAN on a Boston TV network blog dissing the patriots. they should fire the sports editor along with Burton who makes a living off of his fathers name. Get the hell out of my my city.
    The only reason the Giants won was a phantom pass interference call.
    Mike Lynch you their?? I’m switching stations . Should have when they fired the genius Lobel