Fire Guts Milford Store, Apartments Overnight

MILFORD (CBS) – Firefighters shook off the cold early Thursday morning to put out a three-alarm fire on Central Street.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Karen Twomey reports

It began just after midnight inside a Brazilian convenience store and eventually spread to all three floors where there were apartments and up through the roof.

Everyone inside escaped safely and nearby buildings were evacuated.

But the fire took several hours to put out and authorities were afraid the old building might collapse, so all firefighters were ordered out as a precaution.

There’s no word yet on a cause.

Milford Fire Chief John Touhey said it started in the back of the first first floor and does not appear to be suspicious.

The severe cold was a problem for firefighters.  It froze the water and the street in front of the building ended up covered in a sheet of ice.

They also had to deal with a hydrant that had a bad leak.

WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Summer of Savings
Download Weather App

Listen Live