FBI: State Trooper Ran Gambling Ring, Threatened To Kill Informant

BOSTON (CBS) – A Massachusetts State Trooper has been charged with extortion in running a bookmaking ring with an FBI informant whom he allegedly beat and threatened to kill if he didn’t get paid.

Veteran trooper John Analetto was arrested Saturday in Belmont. He will be arraigned Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Boston.

According to a criminal complaint, Analetto became a bettor with the confidential witness last year in an illegal interstate gambling ring.

WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports

Read: The Criminal Complaint (.pdf)

When Analetto learned about the informant’s debts, he loaned the witness $24,000 with an interest rate of 12.5-percent a week, the complaint states.

The FBI said the informant recorded a meeting with the trooper on December 23 and while discussing the debts, Analetto allegedly told the witness “Will I kill you? Ya, I’ll (expletive) kill you.”

Three days later, in a phone call with the informant about another bettor who owed the informant money, the FBI said the trooper “made statements to CW (the cooperating witness) that he (Analetto) would break into the individual’s house and physically harm the bettor and sexually assault (the) bettor’s mother.”

Later in the call, the complaint claims the trooper threatened to kill the informant again, “stating in words or substance that he would buy a ski mask, break into CW’s house during the night and kill CW in his/her sleep and that there would be no witnesses.”

Then, during another meeting December 30, “Analetto became physically violent with CW, head butting him/her and then slapping CW’s face,” the complaint states.

Watch Video of the Arrest

Analetto later placed a call to another bettor who owed them money, according to investigators, saying “We’d appreciate if you contact the right people and start doing the right thing.  Or 2012 isn’t gonna be too good for you.”

Authorities say Analetto convinced five people to make bets with the cooperating witness.

In a statement, State Police Colonel Marian J. McGovern said in part, “Analetto’s actions as alleged in the federal complaint are beneath contempt. They are, as alleged, the actions of a criminal and street thug.”

“I am disgusted by those actions, but more importantly, the 2,000 or so state troopers who serve with integrity and honesty are disgusted by them.”

Comments

1. buddy says:

Ah yet another beloved officer of the fine institution called the Massachusetts State Police being a stand up guy. It’s time that Colonel Marian McGovern resign the position handed to her just because she is a women.

Damn this is starting to remind me of the winter hill day’s of Boston, all the while his fellow officers turn the other cheek. Make no mistake, if no one knew it’s a lie. Come on how could nobody not know.

2. Steve says:

And people wonder why so many don’t trust the police…. They may wear the badge, but they act as though they are above the law. Just recently there was a cop who was arrested for DUI, then there’s the state trooper who shot that woman while hunting (granted, that was an accident), now this (among many other incidents)… Have you ever dealt with the police? I have on a number of occations, after an accident, needing help when lost, never because I have broken the law, and every since cop I’ve dealt with has been a prick and had an attitude. What ever happened to “here to serve and protect” seems like they are just there so they have an excuse to be a jack @ss.

3. fred says:

So lets see, what does he do next. Oh yeah, he retires to protect his pension then argues later that he retired before he was convicted so they can’t take it away from him (just the drunk driving refusing to stop for police state trooper in Saugus). I know this sounds cynical but I am wondering what odds the tropper would give me if I placed that bet with him.

4. P says:

3 troopers arrested and 1 shoots a woman while he hunts,all in 2 months! These are the felons,but there’s many more that abuse the position in smaller ways. Like the lying Trooper that gave me a ticket for no seat belt when he saw me unbuckle it so I could reach the window of the passenger door he was at. Thanks Matthew.

5. emmomm says:

AAAHHHHHH, and so many say its not all,, I have to wonder now. How deep does the brotherhood go… Moral conduct, uphold the law, serve and protect, with honor,,,, Now why is that unbelievable.. Oh I don’t know, Does having them in the news almost every week seem to shatter that belief….. Not to mention we see so much abuse.. Yeah nothing to worry about, RIGHT.

6. emmomm says:

AAAHHHHHH, and so many say its not all,, I have to wonder now. How deep does the brotherhood go… Moral conduct, uphold the law, serve and protect, with honor,,,, Now why is that unbelievable.. Oh I don’t know, Does having them in the news almost every week seem to shatter that belief….. Not to mention we see so much abuse.. Yeah nothing to worry about, RIGHT…

7. P says:

They should be held to a much higher standard,right now they get away with unethical behaviors left and right,never mind crimes