NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Mike Milbury Will Not Be Charged In Incident With Youth Hockey Player

View Comments
Former Boston Bruin Mike Milbury leaves a hearing in Brookline.

Former Boston Bruin Mike Milbury leaves a hearing in Brookline.

WBZ-TV's Bill Shields Bill Shields
Bill Shields is a general assignment reporter for WBZ-TV News. He...
Read More
Bruins Central
Shop for Bruins Gear
Buy Bruins Tickets

NHL Scoreboard
NHL Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up

BROOKLINE (CBS) – Former Boston Bruin Mike Milbury will not be charged with assaulting a youth hockey player earlier this month.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic reports

That was the ruling Friday afternoon from a clerk magistrate after a hearing in Brookline District Court.

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports

Milbury was accused of verbally and physically assaulting a 12-year-old Pee Wee hockey player while breaking up a fight between the boy and Milbury’s son at a Brookline rink December 9.

EXCLUSIVE: Father Upset Milbury Is Not Charged

Police and Milbury’s attorneys presented their evidence and witness testimony at the closed door hearing, which lasted several hours.

In the end, the magistrate determined there was not enough evidence.

“There will be no criminal action and Mike and his family are happy to move on. Hopefully, Mike will be returning to work on the air very soon,”  Milbury’s attorney, Mark Berthiaume, said.

Milbury took time off from his job as a TV hockey analyst to fight the charges.

He told reporters outside court he just wants to move forward.

“I really will have a lot to say about this down the line. At this point, I’m just thankful the court ruled this way and I’m going to go home and get my voice ready to do some caroling.”

He later released a statement saying:

“My family and I are gratified that the clerk magistrate found no reason to further investigate the incident at Larz Anderson Park two weeks ago when I separated two 12 year old boys in a Pee Wee hockey game, one of whom was my son. I was a coach and supervisor on the ice that day when the scuffle broke out after the game had concluded and the referee had left. I know I acted responsibly to break up an altercation between two young boys in order to prevent potential injury to both. My actions were in no way inappropriate and I would take the same actions today if confronted with a similar situation in the future.”

WBZ’s Mark Katic contributed to this report.

You can follow Mark on Twitter at @MarkKWBZ.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,984 other followers