New Report Casts Doubt On Big Dig Sinkhole
BOSTON (AP) — A new report is casting doubt on whether there’s a “sinkhole” under the Big Dig after all.
State officials had expressed concerns this summer that a sinkhole might have opened under the massive concrete box that forms the outer casing of the Interstate 90 Connector Tunnel.
But a report by the Federal Highway Administration released Wednesday says investigators couldn’t determine whether a void exists.
WBZ-TV’s Jim Smith reports
And State Highway Administrator Frank DePaola said none of the boring taken so far has indicated a gap in the soil.
The soil had to be frozen during construction and as it has gradually thawed, it’s settled more than engineers had anticipated. But the tunnels are designed to withstand some settling, and the officials said the tunnels remain safe.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.