Severe T-Storm Warning: Norfolk, Suffolk & Middlesex Counties Until 9PM | Interactive Radar

Home Heating Oil Assistance Cuts Could Affect Millions

BOSTON (CBS) – You’ve probably already ordered that first tank of oil for the winter and learned the hard way how much more expensive it will be to stay warm this season.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic reports.

It’s being made more difficult for New England’s poorest residents as heating costs rise and their assistance is being cut.

Congress is considering a billion-dollar cut from the Low Income Energy Assistance program.

Mary Power, 92, doesn’t know anything about that. She only knows her state heating assistance is being cut by $400 and she can’t afford the kerosene needed to keep her West Roxbury trailer warm. How will she get through the winter?

“I don’t know. I have no idea. I guess that I just have to wrap up in blankets and stay under the covers,” Power told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

Overall, nine million homes, mostly in the Northeast, rely on that assistance program.

Mark Wolfe of National Energy Assistance says Congress is targeting the wrong group to cut costs:

“When these prices spike, families just have no other resources,” Wolfe said.

Some advocates of the poor hope this is a key issue as Republicans come to chilly New Hampshire for the first-in-the-nation primary in January.

1. John Burke says:

I would like to help Mary Power with her heating bills this winter.

1. Susan Kooperstein says:

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your generosity. She really does need help.

Kathy Tobin from our fuel assistance program will be in touch with you right away to explain how you can help Mary. I

Best wishes,

Susan Kooperstein
      Vice President for External Affairs

1. kathy says:

Hi John.
        Thanks very much for your concern for Mary. She indeed needs help with her heating situation.
        If you would like to assist Mary, you can donate to the ” ABCD EMERGENCY FUEL FUND” and we will arrange a delivery of oil for her . If you prefer to donate directly to Mary, you can forward to me and we will send to Mary.
        Thanks again for your kindness.

2. kathy says:

Kathy Tobin
      ABCD Energy Programs Director
      178 Tremont Street
      Boston, Ma.02111

1. Victoria says:

I think it wonderful that so many people have stepped forward to help Mary.!!!
        Is she now taken care of and do you know of others?

2. Richard says:

Kathy, I would also like to donate oil directly to Mary… What is the best way to set up a delivery for her? Is there an oil company I can call directly and set up the delivery…. Thank you Richard