BOSTON (CBS) – While the ‘Occupy’ camps have been taken down in Philadelphia and Los Angeles, there are no immediate plans to kick out the protestors in Dewey Square.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Carl Stevens reports
But Mayor Tom Menino says he wants to have the tools to remove them, if necessary.
He told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Wednesday that the city is taking steps to counter a temporary restraining order obtained by the protestors earlier this month.
WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports
“We filed papers with the courts yesterday to give explanation of why we think that injunction should be removed. It goes before the judge on December 1st to ask for removal of the court order,” he said.
In court papers, which recognize “Occupy Boston” as a website and not a legal entity, the city says conditions of the tent city are a threat to public safety:
“The encampment is a tightly clustered tinderbox which poses a substantial, worsening risk of uncontrollable fire… The city says the threat at the park is real … fire , police and inspectors conclude it poses an imminent threat of danger to the occupiers and those around it.”
Menino says if there is a problem, he plans to remove the protestors.
“So far, we’ve had a good relationship with the Dewey Square folks and we haven’t had any major problems like other cities and I want to continue that relationship, but there will be a time and place that we want to use some of the documentation we have.”
Those at Occupy Boston, though, are standing firm. Some told WBZ-TV that even if they get evicted, they plan to return.
WBZ-TV’s Diana Perez reports.
Attorneys for both sides will hash it out before a judge at a hearing on Thursday.
Boston Police said it has cost them $750,000 for overtime for Occupy Boston, as of November 28th.