Dad Confronts Player At Center Of Alleged Andover Basketball Hazing

By Karen Anderson, WBZ-TV

EASTON (CBS) – While police and school administrators investigate, Jim Arnold, whose son was the Andover Basketball captain three years ago, decided to go right to the source to get his questions answered.

The investigation focusing on the Andover High basketball team now has the Attorney General’s attention. But Arnold told WBZ-TV he had questions he wanted to ask.

“One of the first things I did, was meet face-to-face with the young man at the center of the controversy,” Arnold told WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson. “I asked him point blank, ‘when you were a freshman, when you were a sophomore, were you subjected to any of this?’ He said point blank, ‘No, I was not. Nothing of this nature happened.’”

WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson reports

Arnold says the kids and coaches are all cooperating with police investigating the disturbing hazing incident at the Hoop Mountain Basketball Camp.

“I don’t think anybody is denying anything, and it’s really come down to what penalties are going to be metered out.”

Arnold and several other sources have detailed the disturbing allegations. They say several Andover high school basketball players were together at the Hoop Mountain Basketball Camp at Stonehill College in July, and the incident started with sexual hazing.

Arnold’s son was a senior captain of the team three years ago, and he says he wants to make it clear that this was not a ritual or tradition, but a one time terrible mistake. “Apparently things just went wrong in a few minutes. I don’t think it’s a pattern or there is something wrong with the system or the town. The kid made a mistake and in a sense we’re all responsible,” he said.

According to sources, 8 players were at the camp in Easton in July, when the sexual hazing began.

They say the seniors made one of the freshman eat a cookie covered in bodily fluid while the others watched.

“The issue is there were freshman, sophomore, juniors and seniors present and that was the problem, there was a power dynamic,” Arnold said.

The captain’s family had no comment on Tuesday, but Arnold said, “I know for a fact he is upset, he is upset about his future and the future of the program, and the town the team he represents he has let them down, and he hopes to make amends… I don’t think anything was set up or established, no one went in with this plan, this master plan, to diabolically beat down younger players, I just think a power play went wrong and it went badly wrong. ”

Arnold noted,“It’s a good program, it’s a good town, the kids aren’t evil incarnate. They understand there will be penalties involved.”

Comments

1. billy b says:

a mistake??

who splooges on a cookie and makes someone eat it by mistake?

“oh I was saving that cookie for someone else ,don’t eat that that one kid.”

this is so sick and demented that kid who did this needs to be in a mental institution for 20 days observation.

1. Edward Ellis says:

You Sir, are an imbecile. I pity your wife.

2. Jason Sogard says:

“Power Play” gone wrong? Who is this guy to judge, what about the kid made to eat it? Something tells me he would call it something different. And the other thing, nobody is accusing this guy or his kid, why the hell he is getting involved and questioning kids? He doesn’t have all the facts, so how does he know it was a “few minutes” gone wrong? This guy is off base, in my opinion.

3. Joe says:

A kid jerked off on an oreo and made another kid eat the oreo. Sorry, there really is no “gentle and PC way” to put it. I think its safe to say that most reading this have participated in the activity leading up to said bodily fluids being released. No??

This jerkoff father (no pun intended) says it “went wrong in a few minutes”. Well, how do you prepare the bodily fluids without thinking of what you are doing? Normally you would be thinking of a beautiful girl but not this time. This time they had to be thinking of what the outcome of their “actions” would be.

Now I’ve played ball and been around a locker room and I can’t actually picture being able to put the “frosting on the cake” in that situation. It wouldn’t be an enjoyable experience thinking of some sexy super model. It would be prohibiting the outcome thinking of what was about to happen and I would probably get some “stage fright”. Not sure how much more indiscreet I can be describing my point which is that during the “process” they damn well knew what they were doing and had every opportunity to stop it.

So dad, stop trying to save your son and your towns “legacy”, its already ruined. You are just a typical blind protective parent in todays society trying to protect your kids “legacy” and your own life long jock dream that never happened.

If you disagree then next time I have sex with my wife I will provide an oreo with frosting on it for you. If you eat it then maybe I will take you seriously. Until then, just stop being a jerkoff!

4. Joe says:

A kid jerk-ed off on an oreo and made another kid eat the oreo. Sorry, there really is no “gentle and PC way” to put it. I think its safe to say that most reading this have participated in the activity leading up to said bodily fluids being released. No??

This jerk off father (no pun intended) says it “went wrong in a few minutes”. Well, how do you prepare the bodily fluids without thinking of what you are doing? Normally you would be thinking of a beautiful girl but not this time. This time they had to be thinking of what the outcome of their “actions” would be.

Now I’ve played ball and been around a locker room and I can’t actually picture being able to put the “frosting on the cake” in that situation. It wouldn’t be an enjoyable experience thinking of some super model. It would be prohibiting the outcome thinking of what was about to happen and I would probably get some “stage fright”. Not sure how much more indiscreet I can be describing my point which is that during the “process” they dam well knew what they were doing and had every opportunity to stop it.

If you disagree then next time I have “relations” with my wife I will be sure to provide an oreo with plenty of frosting on it for you. If you eat it, then maybe I will take you seriously. Until then, just stop being a jerk off!

5. Joe B says:

1) Why and how did this guy get the opportunity to talk to the “young man at the center of the controversy”, then be allowed to blab to the News. I would think the lawyers of hte “young man” would not allow this.
    2) Why in the world would I believe the words of the “young man at the center of the controversy”, when that person is a an extremely sick individual who is very capable of lying through his teeth.

This entire article seems odd and incredibly poor reporting. This man is somehow trying to protect that mentally disturbed “young man at the center of the controversy”.

6. joey c says:

all of you are very ignorant. None of you know the facts of the story…… Don’t talk about something that you have no idea about. you all are pathetic.

1. irishsmile says:

Are you including yourself in that indictment? Name calling is very immature.

7. Mike R. says:

Much ado about nothing. It’s just boys being boys.

No one forced him to participate, no one forced him to go to the camp, no one would have forced him to eat it. The kid who ate the biscuit has some serious issues with peer pressure though. A stronger, better person would have walked away.

1. Tom Menino says:

Nice. So Andover athletics endorses child rape? Happens all the time at AHS? Good to know. Thanks for letting the world know that rampanat sexual abuse is just par for the course.

Every time one of you Andover parents speaks out and tries to justify this, you expose to the rest of the world why your kids are capable of doing this. The acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.

8. snookie says:

How typical, more of Andovers’ dirty little secrets. The town is filled with arrogant, parents and kids. Maybe some day a kid in Andover will grow a back bone a stand up for a class mate instead of watching from a far. Bullying was born in Andover, What a sick town couldn’t wait to move out and get my kids out of there. Town leaders, teachers parents and messed up maladjusted rich kids.

1. Lisa T. says:

You were probably just too unintelligent and low class to stay and afford it without living with your parents. Tell it like it is. In 10 years in the Andover school system did I or my 3 siblings ever endure or hear about bullying.

9. Jeanne says:

Nothing wrong with spooging on an oreo if it’s consensual n te oreo is of age.
    Likewise, it seems like completely unfair discrimination people cannot legally marry oreos

1. Frank says:

We have a winnah! ROFL

10. jjt says:

Ahhh, don’t pick on the perfect kids in the perfect community…let’s just sweep it under the rug, hire some expensive attornies and make it go away…phonies!

11. irishsmile says:

I haven’t a clue regarding who is right or wrong. However, it is problematic for an unrelated adult to insert themselves into interrogating a witness in a matter under investigation. Better to let the investigators deal with this or be prepared to be accused of intimidating a juvenile witness.

12. andovahALUM says:

i’m from this town and played basketball at this high school (female). the politics around the basketball program, especially the boys, is INSANE. the “power play” issue is an understatement and that goes for players and coaches. this doesn’t shock me and i wouldn’t be surprised if Coach Fazio knew about it the whole time. the kid could have thrown the cookie in the upperclassman’s face, but then he would have been cut from the team by the coaches. sad