His Name Is Professor Michael Avery…Suffolk U. Law

A Blog By Gary LaPierre

Sorry I just couldn’t resist it.   My friend and colleague Jon Keller does a commentary and blog on the words of another lefty loony Law Professor and apparently it touched off quite a reaction….which is still going on, and I just couldn’t control my urge to join the fray.  The crux of the story is a member of the staff at Suffolk University was urging  donations for care packages to send to the men and women of the armed forces deployed in Afghanistan, including some for a Suffolk Law student who’s on duty there.

It seems a professor at Suffolk didn’t like the idea, suggested it was not a thing to do at an academic institution…i.e. to show support “for those who go overseas to kill human beings.”   It’s pretty clear this academic lefty who resents anything law enforcement, particularly the military (interesting coming from a Law professor) went on to denounce the fact that Suffolk University also displays the American Flag in the university atrium.    He said the flag on display is “not politically neutral.”   Huh?

Well Jon titled his piece “Education doesn’t always make you smart” and concluded in his piece….”for heaven’s sake (professor) have the decency to confine your snide foolishness to the faculty lounge where it belongs.”

There was and is lots of reaction to the excellent Jon Keller commentary, but I noticed one thing terribly obvious by its absence….Jon never named the professor involved.     Well if you missed it at the top of this page…..here it is again at the bottom of this page.   He is Michael Avery, a Law Professor at Suffolk University…educated, among other places Yale and University of Moscow, U.S.S.R. and he’s a former attorney for the Civil Liberties Union.    Now I ain’t got a whole lot of book learnin’, surely not as much as Michael Avery, but now don’t that just say it all?

Comments

1. robert Thomas says:

All I would like is an email address for Michael Avery.

1. Joseph says:

Thank You! I know I’ll be sure to use it.

2. Gary LaPierre says:

Sorry…don’t have it…but just Google Michael Avery and you’ll learn all you need to know about him.

3. J.M. says:

Did anyone else notice that Mr. Avery published a book this year? I propose that this offensive statement was a political act on his part to incite interest in him and to double as free marketing for his book. What is ‘shameful’ Mr. Avery is your shamelessness in self-promotion.

Sincerely,
    A radically liberal, fellow Boston academic who supports our fine women and men in the military, while not necessarily supporting the decisions that land them in war zones.

4. Jiriaya Of hidden leaf says:

you have this so wrong it kills me
    1) two separate student groups were asking for donations
    2) he sent email an academic listserv
    3) he go snitched out
    4) ????????
    5) profit

5. James McMindes says:

“I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings.”

So says Suffolk Law School professor Michael Avery. He reduces two very complex armed conflicts (that deal with terrorism, ethnic and religious fascism, Bathist dictators, wars on women and education, ethnic cleansing, nerve gassing of civilians, etc., etc.) into such a simplistic, asinine sentiment as “…gone overseas to kill other human beings.”

He then decides to use the badly misused cliché that wars are fought, not by free moral men and women of conscience, but by poverty-stricken victims, “…a draft and people with few resources to resist were involuntarily sent to battle.” Not realizing that America has been burdened with a unenviable role in the world he states “The United States may well be the most war prone country in the history of civilization….We have 700 overseas military bases. What other country has any?” Maybe he should ask the Australians that are stationed in East Timor and Fiji. But why let facts get in the way of making a senseless argument.

He ends with “That sympathy is not particularly rational in today’s world, however.” Not rational, what in God’s name is not rational with this? If someone dares have a thought or sympathy that Michael Avery does not agree with it is somehow not rational? What may be the shameful thing here is that an intellectual lightweight such as Michael Avery is teaching at a US law school.

6. Tom says:

Michael Avery had a right to express himself because of the efforts of the soldiers that he criticized. I also have the right to express myself and my disdain for Michael Avery and the University by withholding my contributions.
    The Dean of the School of Law, Camille Nelson, also has a right to weigh in but has not done so. Doesn’t surprise me. Her email address is cnelson@suffolk.edu.

7. petem says:

Gary,
    I guess I’m the first to catch it…you said “Now I ain’t got a whole lot of book learnin’, surely not as much as Michael Avery, but now don’t that just say it all?”
    That says it all doesn’t it? You don’t apparently, and worse you perpetuate the tactic the right has perfected; rather than discuss the cause kill the messenger. All this ridiculous lefty this and looney that. Have you taken a peek at the right line up for ’12 lately? You should be worried…waste less time on the lefty’s and urge your sides geniuses to try to find someone with an IQ over 75 or next year will be embarrassing for y’all…

1. fireman mark says:

Go to Russia with the Professor.You Liberal-Socialist aholes don’t belong in the USA. Liberals are blood-sucking,mindless morons who don’t believe in self sufficiency.You would rather the much hate “government” take care of you.News flash genius: “we the people” are the government.This Avery idiot is another self-important blowhole who I would love to see dropped into the middle of Syria or Iran.Let’s see how his education and wits handle THAT!

8. CanyonWren says:

This story is a kneejerk response to a rumor. Congratulations, you have branded yourself as an idiot.

9. Al Dorman says:

professor Michael Avery is a great man.

10. stupidrequirement says:

So you’re an idiot and Avery should censor himself? Great journalism!