Reporting Steve Burton
Red Sox CentralShop for Red Sox Gear
Buy Red Sox Tickets
BOSTON (CBS) – Free agent David Ortiz said Tuesday he hopes to re-sign with the Red Sox.
“Hopefully things go down the way we expect, and I continue being a Red Sox,” Ortiz said.
The soon-to-be 36-year-old Ortiz had a fine season last year, hitting .309 with 29 home runs and 96 RBIs.
He’s been with the team nine years and hopes to return for a few more.
“(Both sides are) talking. We’ll see what happens later now,” said Ortiz, who later reiterated he would like to finish his career in Boston.
The other high-profile Red Sox free agent, closer Jonathan Papelbon, bolted for the Phillies in the early days of free agency, signing a 4-year, $50 million deal.
“(Papelbon) loves this organization and everything, but sometimes when it comes down to business, you gotta do what you gotta do,” said Ortiz. “And since the Phillies, they move pretty fast on him, seems like they wanted him, so that’s how it is in this game.”
GM Ben Cherington has said that re-signing Ortiz was a priority.