Miller Upset With ‘Gutless’ Lucic, Hearing Scheduled

BOSTON (AP/CBS) – Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller is not a fan of Milan Lucic, calling the Bruins forward “gutless.”

Miller’s emotions boiled over after Saturday’s 6-2 loss to Boston, as he took exception to a hit from Lucic. Miller came out of his crease to play a loose puck, with Lucic racing in for a breakaway opportunity. The two collided, with Miller falling over. His helmet fell off as he hit the ice, and Lucic was given a minor for charging.

Kalman: B’s Proving To Be Team To Beat In Northeast

“(Lucic has) 50 pounds on me and he runs me like that? It’s unbelievable,” Miller said after the game. “Everyone in (Boston) sees him as a big tough solid player. I respected him for how hard he played. That was gutless. Gutless.”

“Well I blocked a shot, and it’s a race for a puck, and I mean I just put my head down and tried to get to it first,” said Lucic of the play. “Next thing I looked up he was out of his net and it was a collision. Obviously going into a situation like that I’m going to brace myself, and I was going full speed so it was pretty hard for me to put on the brakes.”

On Sunday, it was revealed Miller suffered a concussion from the hit and is out indefinatley.

Lucic has a hearing scheduled with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan on Monday at 1 pm to determine if the B’s forward will be suspended for the hit, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

98.5 The Sports Hub is the only place to hear every game of the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins 2011-12 NHL season with Dave Goucher and Bob Beers.

Comments

1. Matt says:

What’s gutless is you trying to slash him after he hit you when you came out of your crease. Want to stay safe, stay in the crease!

1. Paul Barsalou says:

this is hockey you big baby,be a man and grow a pair

2. blackbear1 says:

What a baby. Stay in the net where you belong. That was a nice slash on the way down.

3. AMG says:

Nice job Lucic..when he’s out of the crease he is fair game..Miller is a tough guy swinging his stick at defenseless forward in front of the net..If you give it out get ready to receive it Miller

4. Jim Ramsey says:

I’ll tell you what is gutless…..no retaliation by Buffalo at all…..reminded me of the old Bruins……..questionable hit but hey IT’s HOCKEY !

5. fireman mark says:

If Miller had a concussion why did he stay in the game? He lookd ok to me during his post-game whining saying Lucic was gutless.Miller:you were way out of the net thereby becoming eligible to be hit. Also,if you watch the replay in slow motion you will notice that Lucic turned his skates inward and straightened himself out in an effort to slow the impact.His intent may have been to check the goalie but there was no intent to injure.