Student In Wheelchair Forced To Sit Alone At Lawrence School

By Ken MacLeod, WBZ-TV

LAWRENCE (CBS) – A 13-year-old Lawrence boy will be reunited with his classmates tomorrow.

It’s not that the youngster hasn’t been at school every day. He has.

But elevator problems have forced him to sit alone — day in and day out.

Khank Tran can help his wheelchair-bound son with some things, but felt frustrated and powerless to end the boy’s isolation at school.

WBZ-TV’s Ken MacLeod reports

“I didn’t know how long he was going to be suffering,” says the elder Tran.

Unable to walk since a freak spinal cord injury, Huy Tran has spent the last five weeks at the Wetherbee School in Lawrence doing his lessons alone in the first floor nurse’s office.

“I get really tired and bored,” says Huy. “I will usually take a nap on the desk.”

That’s because the 13-year-old has been blocked from using the school’s elevator to reach his normal classroom upstairs.

The state ordered 16 Lawrence elevators shut down back in late September — at schools, the library, and senior center — after discovering the city had failed to correct a laundry list of safety violations over the summer.

His dad says day after day of studying in solitary — piled on top of the mystery that still surrounds his paralysis — has made Huy depressed and even angry.

“That silently affected him a lot,” says his father.

Interim School Superintendent Mary Lou Bergeron told the Lawrence Eagle tribune that teachers have tried to make sure that Huy didn’t fall behind.

But the elevator repair and inspection process dragged on for weeks — while his dad called and emailed both school and city leaders asking ‘Why?’

“I got upset,” says Khank Tran. “Yes. I said ‘This has to stop!'”

But it wasn’t until late Thursday that state inspectors flashed the green light.

“I can smile now,” says the elder Tran with a grin.

“Yeah, I kind of got excited,” says his son with an even bigger one.

So when Huy rolls up the wheelchair ramp to school on Friday morning, he won’t have to stop at the nurse’s office.

It’ll be onto the elevator and up to class.

Huy isn’t the only Lawrence child separated from the class at school by the elevator snafu.

Eleven year old Sara Acosta-Terrero has been going through much the same thing over at Frost Middle School.

More from Ken MacLeod
Comments

1. Michael says:

It is too bad a lot of people totally”Write Me And Others Off” ,who have disabilities and special needs that we cannot control or help for who we are,or what we are.
    We should at least give them a chance,including me and others and let them be accepted,no matter who they are,or what we are.
    and what kind of a disability we have. If no one else cares about people with disabilities and if no one wants to accept them anymore,who will???Thanks.

1. Davedavis says:

Why is it we are all ready to slam “others who write me off”? Do you realize how many benefits, assistance, compassion is given to people with disabilities? How much of my tax dollar (which I could use to pay for my own disabilities) are used for various reasons to help the disabled? Quit crying victim, makes me sick. Yes it is sad what happened to this boy, but guess what, many students are required to live with the disruptions caused by other students,,

1. bubba says:

If there is justice in the world you will end up in a wheelchair.

2. William Burchfield says:

Bubba thinks hes righteous enough to cast the first stone. A truly just world would have him pushing your ass around in a wheelchair.

3. verheek says:

Boy your are a hard hearted old thing aren’t you? Just because you pay all that stuff doesn’t mean it reaches the person where they are at. Sheesh.

4. Mitch says:

I somewhat agree, they all felt soo bad but couldn’t help him up one story to get to class. That or the father should have let him stay home and sue the school for not being wheelchair accessable. Why did everyone go along with this stupididty, what was so important to be there if he wasn’t being taught.

2. DudeZXT says:

Ever heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act??? This state needs to be sued for not complying with Federal Law!

2. Jennifer Howes Pepe says:

I can’t believe the school would be so callous in this situation. At the very least they should have moved his class to the first floor until the elevator could be fixed. I used to work at a school with multiple buildings, but only one was handicapped accessible. When a student had a disability or an injury they school would move the class until the injury healed or schedule the class in an accessible area. I am glad the elevator has been fixed for Huy, but the school system needs to accommodate ALL students or they will have a very valid lawsuit on their hands.

1. ma67 says:

You stole my thunder as I thought the very same thing. Simple solution really by bringing the class to HIM. What’s the problem with this school.

2. Flower Child says:

I agree, this is simple and inexpensive

1. erasmus says:

pettifoggers, beadles and bureaucrats cannot comprehend simple fixes and common sense!

3. Barry Levy says:

Can’t help but think if this were a muslim student or a black studen the hue and cry would have had the elevator fixed in no time.

But heck, this child didn’t have activists screaming for equal treatment, and the loudest voices, not the right voices, seem to get the attention that they do, whether deserved or not.

4. Raye says:

Oh for heaven’s sake – doesn’t anybody know how to PICK UP A WHEELCHAIR and carry it up a flight of stairs?

1. Rebel Yell says:

Five weeks, and they can’t get him up the stairs? Give me a break. Maybe it’s time for his parents to do the right thing: pull him out and find him a real education either at home or at an institution that actually builds strong, educated individuals.

1. Susanna Gordon says:

Why didn’t his father keep him at home? That would have gotten atteition – the school would have lost its ADA money for this student,.plus, the would risk special state money earmarked for special needs children.

Schools like to misappropriate state money provided for special needs children so they can use it on more union friendly expenditures.

Actually, by today’s educational standards, he did not miss much in five weeks out of the classroom. Probably learned more.

2. USArmyCombatMedic says:

That’s what I was thinking. What kind of “friends” does this poor guy have? I would not leave a friend to sit by himself for weeks, even if that meant I and a buddy have to pick him up ourselves.

This was callous and disturbing. The amount of red tape blocking him isn’t what surprised me most (that’s the gov’t for you). I am shocked his so called friends would leave him.

1. Counselor42 says:

The problem is his friends may have wanted to do just that, but were told they couldn’t because of some scare that if they got hurt doing so, the school would be liable. Government gets in the way of many good ideas.

2. Reason111 says:

Because Medic….so many lawsuits today, no way can the school allow someone under 18 to lift more than a specified weight. Research up the blog here…how many saying ‘lawsuit’. It’s all about lawsuits.
        now that i live in an area that isn’t so lawsuit prone, it AMAZES me the amount of citizen compassion for each other. Thirty years in Vegas and didn’t realize there is a world out there that still looks out for each other without worrying about being ‘blamed’ if you try to be helpful and something fails.
        When I first moved here (carolinas) and there was a rare incident of breakins, my neighbor said, let’s go to the surrounding neighbors and ‘shake their handles’ to make sure all is OK. My FIRST (and insistent) response was: I’m NOT putting MY fingerprints on someone’s door handle.
        REALLY? Was that really me 3 years ago?
        so stop and think why the friends didn’t lift him up the stairs. I’d bet the offer was there and the school wouldn’t allow it.
        Keep the lawsuits coming. Making the world a great place to live, hey? (hope you hear the sarcasm)

3. UpStateNY says:

Liability, liability, etc.

When I was in high school, a girl was in a wheel chair. Strong boys carried her and her wheel chair from floor to floor of a three story building.

She graduated, college, married, kids, good job and lived happily ever after.

she should be about 74 now.

4. Sturat says:

The only sane comment in a sea of narcissism.

5. roger says:

My thoughts exactly. They carried people in wheel chairs down the trade center building stairs after the plane hit. But then they weren’t union teachers and or other left wing educators.

1. petem says:

really? you had to play that card? can’t one discussion remain about the subject? You stupid man, the ‘union teachers and left wing educators’ you so hate are about all that’s left of the middle class in this country. Perhaps it was not they who forbade the other kids from helping Khank, but a heartless administrator or a lawyer. Or maybe just maybe the nurse who has some experience felt the risk to Khank was too great in case he fell…
        Not every story has to end with the evil liberals being boiled in oil.
        get your head out of Faux News and you might find out there’s a world out here that doesn’t resemble what they tell you….

6. Jon Schill says:

and this went on for five weeks? back in the 50s – when i was in fifth grade in iowa – we had a classmate with ms and was wheel chair bound. our classroom was on the second floor. five of us carried him up the stairs every day and never gave it a second thought.

5. Jim Freeman says:

This is what is so frigging WRONG with America today. Nobody could help him up the stairs? He puts his arms around two friends and a third carries his wheelchair.

Got help us, this is what we get when we expect the government to do everything for us, a nation of stupid sheep.

1. davedavis says:

Amen to that, darn, even his family could have gone to school to help lift him upstairs. My mom helped me get up the stairs when I couldn’t do it on my own,, no government, no mandatory school official, just FAMILY HELPING FAMILY.

1. Grown up says:

Do you home work before making a assumption. HIs family has tried very hard to help him out. Re-read all news starting from ET to understand the whole situation. And be more positive to others if you like others to be positive to you.

Also for your other blog, Huy’s dad denied state benefit and sent a letter thanking his social worker after less than a year when he found a job just barely enough to support his family, and continuing to pay all taxes up until today. Let look back at your self and compare.
        How does it feel? Again, be grown up, do your home work before enter the game my friend.

2. JByrd42 says:

Totally agree. What happened to trying to help ourselves or others? Have we lost our minds?

3. PFN says:

I was thinking the same thing, but knowing how gov’t schools are, there are probably too many laws they could have been breaking or insurance regulations that wouldn’t cover them if he got dropped.
      That is the “sue them for anything” society we live in, unfortunately.

4. Roger says:

They tried but the school wouldn’t allow it, too much liablity. Just because you read an artical doesn’t mean you know the FULL story. Some American’s think the issue with America is people who rush to judgement. Before you start blaming 300 million others……………..think please.

1. Frank says:

Roger, the problem is sheeple. Who would have stopped a couple of his friends from carrying him up the stairs? Don’t ask. Do. If it’s so important, you don’t let someone build a box around you.

5. Frank says:

Exactly. It’s not that hard to get someone up and down stairs. If it had been so important, they would have carried him.

6. McPete says:

Education,government and unions=Always a bad combination.

7. Sire Lansing says:

The Elevator probably doesn’t meet the ADA code for Americans with disabilities.
    How Ironic that would be if the only reason he can’t use the elevator he used before was because of Teddy Kennedy’s plan to make public places more accessible.

8. jack nichols says:

Here is a story designed to pull at the heart strings and gather support for the physically challenged. This story is nothing more than hype and and drawing attention to this special interest. Why wasn’t he carried to his classroom by his friends, teachers, family, or custodial staff until the elevator was fixed? This reminds me of the story about a group of idiots that was trapped on an escalator for hours when the power went off, why didn’t they just walk down? Yes we need to have compassion for the physically challenged but leaving a child alone is wrong. Many other considerations could have been made. In this case I blame the teachers, administration, family, and friends for allowing this to happen. Machines break, people need to improvise to help their fellow man. This story displays the thoughtless careless behavior people around this boy not a broken machine. I classify all of his so-called friends, family and teachers idiots.

1. kdawwg_10 says:

Hey Jack Nichols,
      I’m pretty sure that only an idiot would believe a story about someone being trapped on an escalator or hours. Someone should take away your computer! Dip Sh!t!

1. Jack Nichols' shadow says:

No! It really is true! I saw it on the internets. You can too. Use your “mouse” to “click” this link:

2. Mitch Herbert RIP says:

“I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator temporarily out order sign, only an escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

9. Andrea says:

This made national news?

1. Who stole my onion? says:

I dunno. Let’s think about it. The news website is from Boston. I think it is safe to assume that a lot of the people saying, “Carry the kid and his chair up the stairs” are probably from sensible fly-over states. Below are Hank Hill and Kahn, proudly representing Arlen, TX. But I see no Left Coast nutjobs. So, no. This is apparently not national news. Just semi-national news.

1. Who stole my onion? says:

Correction: Jack weighed in from the Left Coast: “Sue the school and the city.”
        Yes. This did in fact make national news.

2. USArmyCombatMedic says:

I’m from CA. This story made the Drudge Report, thereby making it national news I suppose. By the way, not everyone in CA is a left coast nutjob. Most of us.. I will give you that. But not all.

10. jack says:

Sue the school and the city.

1. mewp says:

What I wonder is that they had no classrooms on the first floor? this is stupid. I might have taken them 5 minutes to figureout something but 5 weeks?

1. USArmyCombatMedic says:

I hope you realize, “I might have taken them 5 minutes…” makes no sense whatsoever. Same goes for “What I wonder is that they had no classrooms on the first floor?”. Also, “figureout” should actually be “figure out”. That’s what the squiggly red line under it was trying to tell you.

11. DrRob says:

“Everyday I wish for the elevator to be fixed,” laments Huy. “So I can go upstairs and see my friends again.” Was there a problem having the friends come down.. Someone is grooping for a story when somebody could have been using a little common sense. They could have put him on a strecher and carried in up and down. I am sure there is building code that says don’t use an elevator in an emergency. What were the plans for that?

12. Deena says:

How idiotic. There are so many ways around this problem. Bring his class downstairs, carry him up, put in a stair lift like people have at home, assign him to another achool temporarily, home instruction, make his elevator a priority, etc.

I’m also dismayed that his parents were so accepting of this situation. So many have been conditioned to ignore their individual dignity and rights and just accept what those in charge tell them.

13. Barry Soetoro says:

Ahhhhh, gov’t efficiency at its finest.

14. Mack Daddy G-Austin,TX says:

This is one reason my son was pulled out of middle school is homeschooled. He has a mild mobility disability which affects walking. The school was multifloored. Yes, he had an elevator key and used it as the stairs were daunting, if not impossible. However, having to explain over and over again a medical condition to idiots who did not see any “visible” reason my son cannot walk like other children was tedious. I feel for this child who should have been afforded a school at home or online option at least, rather than having to sit in virtual imprisonment at the nurses office (unless the nurse was hot-just kidding).

15. H. Hill says:

So are you Chineese or Japaneese?

1. Kahn M. says:

I’m Loatian Stupid, it’s a landlock country in Souteast Asia!

1. Mikey says:

……………………………………………….So are you Chineese or Japaneese?

2. Grown up says:

So who you are? Is that profiling people important to you?

1. Another Grown Up says:

Inside joke, buddy. It’s from “King of the Hill.”

Actually, in my humble opinion, humor is much needed in a venue like this. What better place is there to observe humans behaving like humans than in a comment thread? Everybody sits down in front of a keyboard and all of a sudden it’s like a license to be jerks to everyone whom we perceive might even slightly disagree with us. Notice I said, “perceive.”

It’s good to lighten up

2. davedavis says:

Hey grown up,, what did his father do? send emails and make calls?

16. AnJo1 says:

Just can’t wait until government is in complete control of our health care!

17. bob says:

This is the Principal’s and Local Board of Educations fault. It is not because of lack of money–if the Principal had put this on a high priority list, local businesses and individual may would have donated enough money to repair the elevators, but like a lot of people, the Principal, it is assumed, did not ask for help other from the local School Board–common since is lacking even if it only benefits one school child amoung many. How about a situation where the teachers lounge door gets jammed so bad that it can’t be opened–I bet it would be fixed in a matter of hours regardless of cost.

18. jona says:

HE will still get better grades than the rest of the school.

19. LVTAXMAN says:

For those that say “Why don’t they carry him up the stairs,” consider that it is a spinal cord injury. Carrying him may cause more harm and God forbid the liability suit if he was dropped. I liked the stair lift and temporary transfer ideas though.

But – what idiotic public employee decided that schools with disabled students should be prioritized and expedited?

How many inspectors and maintenance staff sitting on their cans or doing minimal work all day long could have had those two particular elevators restored within the second day of school – SINCE THEY REFUSED TO DO IT DURING THE SUMMER WHEN REPAIRS WERE SCHEDULED.

No union employee will be disciplined for this and the guys that finally did their job 5 months late are probably getting kudos.

1. LVTAXMAN says:

Meant to say “But – what idiotic public employee decided that schools with disabled students should not be prioritized and expedited?”

2. Janelle says:

If he were that fragile, he would be bed-ridden. He does get cleaned and gets picked up to get in and out of bed and into his and out of his chair either by his parents or by state workers. There’s no excuse for at least adults not to carry him up the stairs if he was that bothered with not being in his class for 5 weeks. As far as liability concerns, that’s easy. Have his family sign a waiver.

3. USArmyCombatMedic says:

Hmmm… I think I have to disagree. Nobody is saying (hopefully) to carry him up the stairs fireman-style. If it were up to me, I would lock his wheels in place, and grab one. Another buddy could grab the other. He could still sit in his chair. Would it be tiring for me? Absolutely. But that’s what friends do.

As far as lawsuits are concerned (in the event he’s dropped), you have a point.

And I agree with the rest of your comment.

20. Janelle says:

I agree that this whole situation is absolutely absurd. My cousin is in a wheelchair and he’s a grown man, weighing over 180 lbs. We’ve never had a situation where he could not participate in an activity on an upper level floor in a building without elevators because we simply carry him up the stairs. Hello? How hard would it be for a couple of his friends or his family members to carry him up the stairs and a third person to carry his wheelchair up? How victimized have we learned to become? Seriously.

21. Fred says:

In a saner time, the football team- big strapping guys- would have offered to carry the wheelchair and the guy up and down stairs. But now they probably aren;t even allowed to do anything like this because of legal liabilities. The ADA requirements are ridiculous too. Look at all the empty spaces for handicapped around places of business. Gio to an airport and see a bank of phones all set at a height for wheelchairs or small people. Luckily cell phones have made them less needed!
    There should be no need for elevators in a school.

22. greg says:

What did we do before there was elevators? we carried people on our backs or on stretchers. This reminds me of the escalator that breaks down and the people stranded on the stairs start shouting for help. Good Grief people its time to start doing things for yourself and stop relying on the big O dumbo and his policies.

1. grown up says:

Yes. The alternative plan, going back to old fashion, was about to be done during the 3rd week, but then the family was told to hold off because the elevator was about to get fixed shortly. Also, his dad had to work his ass from the time your ass still in the warm blanket until late at night struggling to support his family with all of the nowaday living expenses including his medical needs.
      The news that you get is just a short sumary of the whole story.
      Sigh!! another whole punch of school drop outs couldn’t finish the homework before joining the game. Lord has mercy for all of you

1. USArmyCombatMedic says:

You keep mentioning “fact” that you allegedly found elsewhere. For the rest of us to take you seriously, please cite your sources…

23. John Sheridan says:

Since this was at the beginning of the year, why didn’t they transfer him to another school? At the very least, he should have been given the option to stay at home and have teachers come by to home school him until it is fixed.

1. davedavis says:

i worked for a school district, each child is entitled to an education in the least restrictive environment (the law). Sounds fair, good, however some take it to extreme, like requiring the folks in a small rural town to go bankrupt air conditioning a school for one kid who had problems.. We do good things, others take it to the extreme.

1. Andrew P. says:

Is your name really Dave Davis… No offense, just wondering.

24. icecycle66 says:

Hooray government!

25. davedavis says:

bubba (*in response to my comment.)

If there is justice in the world you will end up in a wheelchair.

November 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm
    and if there is any real justice in the world I’ll be able to kick you in the A hole with my fake foot,,TIME FOR FAMILY, COMMUNITY, CHURCH, NOT GOVERNMENT FEDERAL STATE OR CITY TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT

26. John Brunner says:

Two adults couldn’t carry this poor kid up the stairs every morning? Sure they could, except this is a public school we’re talking about and you’re going to be hard pressed to find a real man or woman on the staff at a public school. Yep, there are a few good apples in the school system, but as a rule the employees are generally just as lazy and worthless as you think they are.

These stories are kind of like ants – if you see one in your house, you can damn well bet there are a thousand more that you just aren’t aware of yet.

27. Rachel says:

This is such a strange story. Was there NO WAY to get this kid upstairs or to bring the class to him on the ground floor? I find this to be ludicrous.

1. Holycowgirl says:

I agree, Rachel. This is viral insanity. Didn’t occur to any of the SCHOOL STUDENTS or TEACHERS that they could carry the kid up stairs? And what’s with his idiot family who think it’s okay for him to sit for five weeks in solitary. This is child abuse, school abuse, and intelligence abuse big time. To call any of them stupid is an insult to stupid people world wide.

28. jim lennon says:

sounds like BS to me

29. Jack Taber says:

To leave a kid who is wheelchair bound in a nurse’s office for 5 weeks shows how stupid our society has become. Twenty years ago a couple of male teachers would have picked the student up and carried him upstairs and back down at the end of the day until the elevator was fixed. I am sure this was deemed an insurance risk by the school district or some other stupid reason…. and besides then they could not have been able to write this story about the the evil budget cuts that prevented the district from not being able to afford the repairs. This would have never happened in our town in 2011 or 20 years ago.

30. Jay says:

I wouldlike to remind you all that ROMNEY was governor in this cesspool of a state.

1. Jack says:

Jay that is why all true conservatives do not support Romney!

31. mannyjoe says:

@Jack Taber

Bloody hell, why didn’t his mates carry him and then his chair, instead decide to leave a chap stranded for 5 weeks

32. grown up says:

To Rod,
    So I guess you have had a very bad and low life, hence the low and stupid blog.
    What is your root anyway? somewhere in europe maybe? How a bout if your children, in the case you are lucky enough to have one, to be done as you suggested? Feeling satisfied?
    Come on, we are adults, just act and talk like an adult unless you are a cracking head, then you would be an exception.

33. Vince C. says:

Sounds like the elevators were not even broke. They just didn’t have the paperwork for them.

34. Telecaster Jones says:

The article makes it sound like he was literally trapped in a room alone because the elevator was shut down after he got to that level of the building, like Charlie stuck on the MTA (old folk song reference, for you young whippersnappers). Somehow I doubt he was truly trapped alone in a room for five weeks. If my hunch is right, this story is one of the most egregious examples of journalistic malpractice I’ve read in a long time. Mr. MacLeod owes us an explanation.

35. J.V. says:

And who says that school is a place to learn from “smart” people (i.e. “teachers)?

1. Plato-American says:

Teachers aren’t responsible to fix the elevator. Hell, teachers aren’t responsible to figure out how to get instruction to the kid. That is the responsibility of the administration and parents. Now, if they would like assistance to cut through the fog…

36. Stanley11 says:

“Why couldn’t people carry him upstairs?”

I will answer that with a question. What will happen when the student or teacher that helps him, throws out his back or gets injured? Lawyers will chase that ambulance right to the front door under the big awning…..

37. Flower Child says:

A class room is a class room, why didn’t they just move his class down stairs so that he could be with them? This would have been cheaper than an elevator.

38. Cleary says:

And people wonder why some of us are very skeptical about Government at any level to do right by us. I’m not saying there are villains in this story. But the system is broken, and there is no competition that puts incentives on Government to get their butts in gear. I’d much rather take my chances with Big Business, who at least I can sue for breach of contract for something like this. But Government insulates itself – not just from good solutions, but from lawsuits that would result from poor or non-existent solutions.

39. RVT1K says:

Just carry him and his chair up the da*n stairs and get on with it.

40. Jason says:

Why didn’t they just send a person down a hoist or lower a body strap down to the boy and pull him up. Isn’t that elevator just like all others, by that I mean don’t they have an open door on the roof of the elevator, makes no sense to me.

41. M M D'COTA says:

Why didn’t they rent a chair lift? A little problem solving would have done wonders.

1. Chicago Nick says:

Or how about the “Human Student Lift” ???!!! What idiots huh? Although there’s probably some school, district, state or federal law preventing the ‘lifting of the disabled’ for one reason or another too I would bet.. But STILL!!

And I’m crippled myself from MS at 47 now for 10 years and I woulda done something myself too, so I don’t know. At some point the kid has to do something TOO,

To think these people have children’s lives in their hands more than the parents and people wonder why they’re all at Zugotti or whatever it is whining for more handouts and free rides before they’ve even entered the freaking work force !!!! God help us all :(

42. thussaiththewalrus says:

There is entirely too much liability to expect “someone” to carry him upstairs (and then downstairs) 25 times. It is also disruptive for a teacher to have to teach in a “mock up” space for 5 weeks. It is also disruptive for the students to have to “make do” for 5 weeks. The education process would be compromised for the entire classroom for a length of time.

The fault lies with the administration for not going into crisis mode IMMEDIATELY (because the “victim” was a “respectful” Asian, they were not taken seriously). In fact, they were ignored.

IF I had been the teacher ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ I would have asked for a fellow student to volunteer to “join him” downstairs, so that he was not studying alone. They could have rotated so that a number of students could have “gotten a chance” to sit with their classmate and it would not have disrupted any one person too many times.

1. Steve says:

You know… its also DISRUPTIVE and EXPENSIVE for a small mom-n-pop restaurant to have to put in a ramp for disabled customers.

would you be against forcing businesses to do that as well?
      or is it just “people” that you dont want to disrupt but you are happy to disrupt “business”?

43. Globular Cluster says:

Big deal. I spent the entire 6th grade alone in the teacher’s coat room. The school would not allow me to sit with my classmates. Why? I was unpopular and already knew the material. This big baby needs to man up.

1. Grown up says:

Cluster (head??)
      This baby has nothing to do with the media. It depends on how smart and determined your parents are in order to get you popular on unpopular. Is jelousy in your bible? I wish I could see more grown up as the majority in this page.
      Sigh!! I’m giving up now. I didn’t imagine this much of school drop out such like you hanging in this blogging page. Wish God would help enlightening your and your fellas’s minds and souls.

44. Deskboy says:

Did anyone think to move the class to the first freaking floor?!!!! I had not finished the first sentence before I thought if this.

45. Steve says:

You know, if this school were run privately, I wonder how long it would be in business if shenanigans like this were allowed.

But, alas, it’s publicly funded from the magical pool off neverending fungs… so whoever let this atrocity go on will live another day to let it happen again.

Big goveernmanet is GREAT!

1. Steve says:

wow… sorry for the hack job on spelling… brutal.

46. JP says:

Yet all we ever see on TV is a bunch of bright-eyed cheery teens helping each other….so where were they! Why didn’t a couple of guys from the football team volunteer to carry him upstairs EVERYDAY – well like the cheery, bright-eyed teens on TV do?

(In my high school years 1979 – 1982 we would have carried this kid up and down the stairs, and made sure everyone else pitched in to get him to where he needed to be)

1. Steve says:

Brilliant!

But, that would only have been if it were a reality show and the nationwide cameras were catching them “in reality” (sarcasms, sarcasms).

Only then would they have been who they really are. As it turns out, there were no magical, goodwill inducing cameras there so they behaved as their non-real self and scooted up the stairs.

I cant stand teens these days… gonna have my own two here soon.

He said he really wanted to see his friends again… maybe he should reconsider that.

47. Marc says:

Why is this news?

There was a broken elevator….

If there were no consequences to being disabled we wouldn’t have the term disabled.

48. Don says:

When you combine arrogance with stupidity you will find many bureaucrats

49. SirGareth says:

How can the elevators be fixed, that would reduce union benefits; they’re all, repeat after me: Doing it for the Children.

50. Chicago Nick says:

Freakin unreal, this is equivalent to the rubber rooms they send these malcontents into for years to collect full boat salaries while the rest of us were we caught doing half that crud they get away with would have to change careers and towns probably too!!

Whoever came up with this idea and those who went along with it should never be allowed around or to teach even online any children anything whatsoever. “Its all for the children” my azzzzz. I’d lay my life they’re all Obama voters

51. Elman says:

Time to homeschool your children and take them out of the public messpools. Just saying

52. David says:

This is a perfect illustration of why this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Why couldn’t someone CARRY the kid up the stairs if he wants to get to his class? That’s a rhetorical question, of course. The answer is that we’re a litigation-mad society that has lost all sight of working together for common goals.

53. John says:

Have we lost our minds? How lame is this? Have two men pick up the wheelchair with him in it and carry it up the stairs!

Seriously, that’s one lazy school administration. If a private business did this for a single day they’d be sued and slammed with government penalties.

54. William R. Barker says:

Is every single adult and every single child at the school stupid?

CARRY the kid up and down the frigg’n stairs!

1. joe says:

Yes – they are stupid apparently. This is a pathetic story of whiners who wait for the government to come save them.

55. johnH says:

Simple Fix-Do like my lawyer cousin did to the City of Roanoke on their broken accessible door. He first told the correct person, waited a couple of days and then told the Commonwealth’s Attorney that he would file suit against the city, using the American Disability Act as a basis, if the door was not repaired within 24 hours. The door was repaired with the 24 hours. The same could have bee done on these elevators.

56. PUBLIUS says:

Say, I have a great idea! Let’s let the government do our healthcare! Yeah!
    This story really inspires your faith in the government. Hoorah to the gubmint!

57. Bawlamer Merlin says:

If his family had given LARGE donations to politicians, this would never have happened.

58. Chris D says:

Don’t they have a Fire Dept in that city. Iwas a firfighter for twenty years. This was a 10 minute job tops!!!

59. Adusseus says:

there is this rare thing called carrying where some humans use the arms and legs to relocate an object from one place to another–sometimes laterally, sometimes vertically. i wonder if this maneuver was ever attempted in this case?

60. Artfldgr says:

So? i am in a 47 inch x 57 inch office segregated for my disability, isolated from all coworkers. the room is 78-85 degrees (exacerbating the health problem), and have been there temporarily for nearly a half year… oh… 15 years i can retire from a senior applications developer (current 30 years experience ranging from mainframes to micros, from wall street to manufacturing, and am in medical now).

just 15 more years of that isolation and segregation and i can retire…

61. Bottomfeeder says:

Taxpayers’ Corollary: Any problem occurring under the auspices of a bureaucrat which does not affect him or her directly will not be solved or cleared up until it does.

62. DrBobNM says:

unbelievable. I don’t understand why the teacher or some designate could come and visit him from time to time. Regulations and bureaucracy are the source of pain for people than most realize. Were the elevators unsafe? Probably not, yet the regs had to be followed even if it hurt this young man.

63. timh says:

unbelieveable!this state has all these greedy pols pulling in 6 fig pensions but they cant fix a school elevator for a handicapped kid?if this was a privately owned building and this happened the mcad would crucify the buildings owner.where are they in all this?

64. sociapath says:

Maybe nobody felt like carrying him up and down the stairs

65. Roman Melnyk says:

I didn’t read all the posts, but was it ever mentioned how he used the bathroom, bathed, eat, sleep?

66. Stan W says:

I wonder how much money the school got per day for “caring for and educating” this unfortunate young man? I bet they didn’t call the feds or the state and tell them to postpone those payments until the elevator got fixed, even though it sounds like they didn’t have to go out of their way to find him a place to park his wheelchair in the nurses office.

67. kjhkjhkj says:

OH NO he’s ALONE For 5 hours at a time. Well heavens to betsy, I am alone 10 12 hour stretches working at my desk, This isolation is good for him, prepares him for the real world.

68. JoeKidd says:

Tell the school how you REALLY feel:
    Wetherbee Elementary School
    75 Newton Street Lawrence, MA 01843-1322
    Call (978) 557-2900 and leave a message.

69. Josey says:

Another fking stupid headline that misleads the reader about the story.

70. Thought Recon says:

This MUST have happened in the most war torn parts of afghanistan right? Were there any men in the area to team up and carry him down? I confess that I didn’t read the entire story because I feared I would find this happened in this country and would be ashamed.

71. Darrel says:

Fire the school district maintainance staff, superintendent, and principal and hire competant peole.

72. yonex badminton says:

I agree with you, but please look at yonex badminton rackets.