Local

Elderly Woman Burned In Hyannis Fire Dies

View Comments
About 100 people were evacuated from the Hyannis House apartments. (Photo courtesy: David G. Curran/SatelliteNewsService.com)

About 100 people were evacuated from the Hyannis House apartments. (Photo courtesy: David G. Curran/SatelliteNewsService.com)

BARNSTABLE, Mass. (AP) — An 84-year-old woman severely burned in a blaze at her Hyannis apartment building, that may have started when Halloween decorations caught fire, has died.

A spokeswoman at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston says Helen Levesque died Wednesday.

Authorities say Levesque suffered burns over 80 percent of her body in the blaze late Monday night that sent five other people to the hospital.

Fourteen units at Hyannis House Apartments were damaged.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says a preliminary investigation shows that the fire was accidental, probably started in Halloween decorations, including bales of hay and electrical lights, displayed on the deck outside Levesque’s third-floor apartment.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,705 other followers