State Says Devin Frenette Is In A Safe Place

HAMPSTEAD, N.H. (CBS) – A New Hampshire state agency is now getting involved in the case of a 9-year-old boy who keeps running away from home.

Devin Frenette ran off for the second time in a week on Tuesday and was located in a tree hours later. Last week, hundreds of searchers spent hours looking for the child, who was ultimately discovered hiding under a bed in a neighbor’s home.

Devin spent Tuesday night in protective custody.

“What I had one of my detectives do was contact the judge by phone, and the judge ordered that we hold him for 24 hours ’til he could be brought back before a hearing (Wednesday),” said Hampstead Police Lt. John Frazier.

Devin did not come home with his parents following a court hearing Wednesday.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports

It’s unclear where Devin is, but DCYF Director Maggie Bishop says he’s in a safe place.

Details of the hearing are confidential, but generally, Bishop says the court decides when a child in protective custody can come home.

Devin is developmentally delayed both mentally and physically.

Comments

1. tsal says:

This breaks my heart. I look at that little boys face and his smile and think how terrified he could be not understanding what is going on and why he isn’t at home with his mom and dad.

2. emom says:

Having a developmentally delayed child is a huge responsibility.. So many things can happen. As parents of children with no disabilities we worry about their safety & well being when they are out of our sight. You take them to a daycare, you look into the safety of them,, (well most of us would), No matter if its state, local or private. when they enter school you address issues to be aware of even if they are disabled, mental or physical,, The need to know these things, to assure their safety. Having a child with disabilities I have addressed many things to be sure he would be taken care of while in school and daycare, I am grateful I never had an issue. But seeing this story we have to wonder why it has happen so much . Is this child trying to tell us something is he starving for attention and is looking in his world around him to seek more of it. I see a sheltered child, looking out a window seeing a world he knows nothing of, He is home schooled , Now there is nothing against that BUT at some level social interaction should be introduced into a child’s life.
    Home much social interaction does this child have with other children, Family is one thing, but children his age, well that is what the need. I am glad I took my child to public school and daycare it was best. I do hope they come to a conclusion on how to deal with this child, he needs a lot more supervision than he is getting. A child like this should not be aloud to go out side by themselves, especially after this many events.

1. Lori says:

Emom, I agree with you on some things but not this. I too have 2 disabled children. Luckily for me my children are not TOO seriously disabled. I can trust them to play outside and not worry about them running away. I have a question for you. Have you been to this families home? Do you know everything these parents do for their child? Do you know if they have tried to have their son in public school before but he ran away even there?(I don’t know if they did or not, I’m just saying it is a possibility). Maybe they did try public school & it didn’t work out for one reason or another. I do agree Social interaction is much needed. Do you know if they bring him to the park or extracurricular sports? Maybe they belong to a church & the boy gets his social interaction there. Yes, a child like that should not go outside alone. The way you said it though made it sounds as if the parents ALLOWED him to go outside alone which is NOT the case. This boy snuck out.

1. petem says:

Lori,
        I too have 2 kids with varing issues, 1 one much more so than the other. You reflected my feelings to a tee. I tried last night to post but somehow it didn’t make it.
        I know that the child here may be exploring or unaware of the concern and danger he’s raising, but the last thing these folks need is a bunch of arm-chair quarterbacks second guessing what they’ve done. We can hope that the social service agencies in NH are up to the challenge…

2. tsal says:

Lori you also reflected my feelings to a T. The comments from people who have absolutely no idea what the situation is are beyond belief. I see comments in the blogs every day where groups and politicians are judged – but not a little boy. I just wish people would stop and think.

3. gramps says:

The weather is changing, unless the parents get on the stick & ‘pronto….

Next time the ‘lad’ will be found in the fetal position…. ‘frozen’ to death’!

gramps…..PS….

petem, you state: “We can hope that the social service agencies in NH are up to the challenge…”

Why do you dump the problem to the Govt.?…..

The only thing they can do is remove the child because if they continue to trust the ‘PARENTS’, ‘Mother Nature’ will make the final decision within in the next 45
        days!

3. petem says:

gramps, seriously? what would you do? If the parents need help, guidance etc… they shouldn’t look to the state? If they are in trouble, and NONE of us know if they are/aren’t, it is appropriate that the state at least weigh in. Otherwise I guess we all just ‘gotta hope they find some bootstraps and pull themselves up, cause for cripes sake we wouldn’t want HELP our fellow man.
    By the way if you noticed the title of the article the state is mentioned. That is usually good place to start to figure out the context of the article…

1. tsal says:

petem – you’ve wisely said in the past that there are some on the blogs you just don’t give the time of day to. You’ve just found number one on your list – as you may have already figured out from other comments. I realize I may receive a caustic remark in return but wanted you to know that your comment was from the heart and with the knowledge so few have but somehow feel they can still impart.

1. petem says:

Thanks tsal! It’s a subject that brings out the activist in me. I appreciate folks who ‘get it’ as you clearly do.

4. gramps says:

The Police should’ve gone to the courts after he was found last week!….As my posts subliminally suggest, I’d have pulled the child then….

Action/investagation is what was needed after going missing for the 3/4th time & now missing for 30hrs….. Not TV interviews & thanking god…The Police dodged a bullet…..

Social Services & Bureaucrats love to talk, talk takes time, I don’t know how much time Devin has to spare, while SS gives ‘Mom & Dad’ a dope slap!

I know I wouldn’t want to be the one to decide to give him back to the parents any time soon….Maybe next spring….

Devin’s ‘life’ trumps, ‘someones ‘feelings’!

gramps

5. Willow says:

Do you think the media is helping to create some of the controversy over this child or what? As others have said, unless you live in their house, or have walked in their shoes, I don’t think there is room for judgement here. All children are different, even those with developmental challenges. Why anyone would think it best for the child to be removed from his parents is beyond me. I think we need to be praying for this child and his parents, not criticizing them.

1. gramps says:

Willow, you’d be one of the1st ‘weeping’ if they return Devin to the home & he ends up like ‘Annie’!

gramps

6. emom says:

I agree, I have no idea of how this boys environment is ,, HOWEVER , if he snuck out once , its a problem, twice cause for concern, 3 & 4 times, well its a very serious issues and problem, I can understand that taking care of a child with disabilities is extremely troubling, But I have to wonder after all these times what has the family done to curb his adventures ways. I am concerned for his well being,and well since winter is closer to us and in NH its getting colder faster his safety needs to be addressed. I only suggest and wonder if this child has had interaction with the world that maybe he is looking for something.. For some of these disabled children we can not always know what some are thinking..
    I am troubled by this since having a disabled child that could not communicate well how would such a child let you know who they were , where they lived if they were sick or hurt , Sure a look in the eyes can tell you they might be scared, But for some its not as easy, The child is 9, he is adventurous and well at this point 4 times taking off , something needs to be done. On one of the reports he was allowed to go out in the yard to play, and then he walked away,,, that’s outside unsupervised, and he had already walked away prior, I would not let him out of my sight,, maybe that’s me But I would do what ever it took to protect him from dangerous issues, if I didn’t, I am sure I would be judged as a parent that was not paying attention.. I am not trying to be mean, but 4 times that is serious and dangerous, a major cause for concern for the well being of this child.. maybe the parents need help,,, something maybe no one has even thought of,

1. Lori says:

You say…”One of the reports says he was allowed to go outside to play.”
      You do not mention if he was allowed to go out alone or with a parent or other suitable person.

7. gramps says:

Someone appears to be living ‘rent free’ in someone’s head…

“redheads”..Sheech…..

gramps

8. emom says:

lori the report said she let him out to play, in the back yard, and no she nor anyone else was with him so the possibility of him wandering off was great… unless she had a gate lock which she never said, that he just walked off. something seems odd there. HE JUST WALKED OFF. 4 times . How does that happen after the 2nd time,,,