WINTHROP (CBS) – A fire destroyed one home and heavily damaged another in Winthrop overnight.
It started behind a house on Prospect Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Monday and quickly spread to the home next door.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Karen Twomey reports
“The volume of fire we had upon arrival was just unbelievable.” Winthrop Fire Chief Paul Flanagan told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.
There were a total of six people in both homes.
No one was hurt.
“We are investigating the possibility there may have been a couple of propane tanks involved in this fire,” Flanagan said.
The cause is not considered suspicious.
“We heard a bang, my son got up, screamed that the house next door was on fire. But when I looked in the back yard I saw the glow and I knew,” resident Kathleen Duffy said.
“We all got out. My husband went in and got their grandson and got them out. But it went up in flames immediately.”
WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports
“It’s not fun. There’s a lot of damage in there,” Duffy’s husband John told WBZ-TV.
“(My neighbors) they lost everything, including two cats. About an hour into it a firefighter brought our cat out alive and my 14-year-old daughter was so happy.”
The intense heat from the fire also melted the siding of a home across the street.