Group Spots Fallen 79-Year-Old Hunter Wearing Orange Vest

NORTON (CBS) – A 79-year-old Hyde Park hunter may be alive today thanks to his orange hunting vest.

George Buchanan was found in a Norton conservation area Saturday in need of medical attention.

He was pheasant hunting alone, according to Norton firefighter and EMT Craig Blake.

“Good thing he had his orange jacket on, that’s the way that the other hunting party actually identified his location off into the trees,” said Blake.

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports.

Buchanan did not have a cell phone on him, but Blake said he may not have been able to use it anyway.

“He was able to communicate. He was not making complete sense. He didn’t really know where he was. A bit disoriented, wasn’t answering questions appropriately, so that’s when we were called,” said Blake.

It was the orange vest, which is required by law when there are large numbers of hunters in an area, that saved him.

Comments

1. d. costa says:

i found this man and helped him not the one who claims he did!!!omg i am saddend by this story !! the man how says how found him is not true, it was me, my husband and my husbands cousin! and the emt came along after! everyone left him there because they believed he was napping but my gut feeling said that something was wrong!!!! there was no mention that it was a woman hunter whom was me that found him and did not WALK AWAY!!! I hope that Goerge will remember me!!!

1. d.conefrey says:

The Paramedic that was there did not take credit away from you on screen or off. He has many saves under his belt and clearly stated he came upon people helping the man. Him being there was by chance however if this poor man needed more assistance he surely would have gotten it from the Paramedic, who by the way is not looking for glory he was simply there both on Saturday and Monday when the incident & the interview took place. He was a man training his puppy on both days and he does what he does because of who he is not what recognition he may get. He did tell the reporter that there were three people helping the man when he came upon scene two men and a woman, how the article was posted in the news is not under his control. I am sure that George & his family thank all of you……..

2. d.costa says:

I have to apologize here. I may have made my comment too fast. I should have calmly written my comment; instead I reacted with out thinking and just started typing away. By the video report it made me and others assumed otherwise, and instead I should have shared my side of the story.
      All I have been thinking about is George. I hope to one day see him again out there hunting along side of me. I am praying for him.
      I hope there are no hard feelings here at all.

2. d.shepardson says:

I know the people who REALLY SAVED this poor man. she was so concerned she asked the men that claimed to help him out and they told her he was just resting. she is very upset and saddend to hear the claim they are the ones who helped him. I hope you get the real story on this.

3. Jenn says:

No where in this article does it say who actually saw and saved him so what are you concerned about. You saved him, that should be enough.

4. Alison W says:

We know who called 911 to get George the help that he needed to get out of the woods. My husband never said that he called, what he said was that we did come upon him in the woods laying down which George did often. My husband has hunted with him for many years. We stood there for quite sometime while my husband talked to him prior to us walking away. When my husband and him were talking George was very aware of everything going on. I don’t think that this is a place to be saying who rescued him, we know who called as I said, we were in the parking lot talking to one of the guys once we came out of the woods. Right now we should be hoping and praying that George makes a quick recovery so that he can get back to the things that he enjoys.

5. Lori says:

What does it matter who saved who???!!! REALLY!!! Grow up!!! A man was very ill & was saved. I would think that would be ALL that matters.

1. d.costa says:

I agree with you. I reacted with out thinking.

6. d.costa says:

I hope there are no hard feelings here at all.

1. Alison W says:

There are no hard feelings.
      The only thing that matters is that George was able to get the help that he needed, and that it is the bottom line. =)

7. grammyp says:

I agree with those who have pointed out that it doesn’t matter who found him, who made the call, who stayed with him, etc. Each person who was involved contributed to George getting the help that he needed.
    BUT, I am very concerned about an elderly man who apparently has some sort of chronic medical condition which can cause a possibly fatal emergency frequently going out hunting alone. He was lucky this time. Maybe he won’t be so lucky next time.
    And I REALLY have to wonder what’s going on if he really does often lay down in the woods, as Alison W (whose husband hunts often with George) says he does. It’s one thing to be out in the woods with others and take a break, but if George’s overall health is such that he needs to lie down from time to time, he should NOT be out there alone!

8. dconefrey says:

Thank you for the correction/appology. Obviously I am personally connected to the Paramedic and I can attest to his dedication to his profession, I have been with him when he has stopped for accidents, offered assistance to someone in a store and stopped on the highway with our family in the car to put out a car fire after getting the occupants out. People like that never look for a thank you, they look to help and save when they can so maybe I took your comments too personally as well. I’m sure George is thankful that so many angles dressed in camo & neon orange were there to help him in a time of need.

1. d.costa says:

I again apologize for my over reacting in this situation. I should share the story that I actually posted on my face book page from that day instead of acting like I had done, reading that may change how people are seeing me now. I had no idea that the news would have gone there, never thought they would. Not that I would have wanted to be on TV, that isn’t what this was about at all. This world has not been easy on my life lately and when I experienced this on Saturday it uplifted my heart, hard to explain what I am trying to say here. But I so regret posting my comment. I acted immature and selfish. I am so thankful that the Paramedic was there too, it was a surprise to find out he was a paramedic after. I hope to see him again to apologize in person. my story also included the Paramedic. I hope that everyone can understand we all have weak moments that we don’t think before we speak and that was one of mine.

1. Alison W says:

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and as far as I am concerned there is a reason that we were all in the woods that day. I don’t know why but there is a reason. I know that as far as my husband, my son, my dad and myself are considered we will look at things differently now.
        The most important thing as I have said is that George got the help that he needed at the time that he needed it. Has anyone heard any news on how he is doing by any chance??

9. barrett howard says:

Your quality fly fishing vests are comfortable and designed with manny pockets,for fishing vests are available in quick dry mesh or a regular cotton blend for hot and cold days, for everyone on the water, we design fly fishing accessories that are anything but extras.

1. Scooby says:

An old man was found injured and all you can do is try to sell you wares? Shame!!!