Elderly Man Killed In Deck Collapse At Melrose Home

MELROSE (CBS) – A man in his 70’s was killed after the deck at his home collapsed on him Wednesday afternoon in Melrose.

George Carroll, who owns the home on Bow Street, was repairing the deck with his son when it started to sag and then suddenly fell to the ground.

He ended up trapped underneath the deck.

The fire department used airbags to lift it off of him. He was rushed to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, where he was pronounced dead in the emergency room.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports

Carroll’s wife, Janet, was also taken to the hospital for treatment because she was overcome with emotion.

Their son was not hurt and was able to drive himself to the hospital.

Neighbors said the couple has lived at the home for a long time.

  • B's Fan

    So sad :( my prayers go out to this poor family for their horrible loss!

  • Janette G.

    God bless, sending many prayers, the good die young :(

  • tinymms

    Such a tragic story. Its a crude reminder of the importance of safety when trying to tackle a potentially dangerous job. So sorry for this family’s loss.

  • B

    Its tragic yes… But Completely avoidable. This is why you need permits to build a deck… Its a pain in the rear but at least an inspector would have seen the issue… I can see the issue on the tiny shot.
    I feel bad for the guy if some contractor built the deck for him they should be held liable.

    • twal

      @ B – Regulation doesn’t prevent decay and rot…It’s idiotic to say that a permit would have prevented this accident.It was more likely caused by not properly bracing the deck when they were working on it,something no inspector or taking of your money would have prevented.

  • Glimmertwin

    twal, you may be right about lack of permits not being the issue. Our deck is over 25 years old – no decay or rot. So maybe regulation does prevent such things from happening – if it was built properly it shouldn’t be decaying and rotting. We purchased our home with a deck for which the previous owners had no permit. It was extremely unsafe and fortunately, we made the proper corrections. But that’s where permits come in – not just for your safety, but for the next owner’s safety, and in case of poor electrical work and a house burning down, the safety of your neighbors.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live