Couple Lost In Danvers Corn Maze Calls Police For Rescue

DANVERS (CBS) – Navigating through a maze can be a tricky thing. Some folks in Danvers found that out Monday evening.

Police say they received a cell phone call around 7 p.m. from a family that had gotten lost in the corn maze at Connors Farm.

Closing time for the corn maze was 6 p.m. and the callers had a young child with them.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

The callers, who could not find their way out, and found themselves lost at dark, got in touch with police and asked for help.

WBZ-TV’s Jim Smith reports

“We thought this would be fun. Instead, it’s a nightmare,” the caller told the 911 dispatcher.

Police officers sent out a K-9 unit to help track down the family. The dispatcher asked the male caller several times to yell out “Hello, K-9” until crews were able to track them down.

Listen to the 911 Call

The ‘missing’ parties, who, according to the 911 call paid about $15 to walk the maze, were escorted to safety.

1. Dawnmarie says:

glad to see im not alone in sillyness..altho i woulda called the farm myself not

1. unknown says:

the farm was closed, they close at 6pm, the call was made to police at 7pm. they knew the farm closed at 6pm too. said it right on the 911 call…..if they were lost they were lost long before 6pm and could have called knowing they close at 6pm but they decided to wait 1 hour after closing….

1. Mark Grenoble says:

Why didn’t they just walk through the corn to the road 20 yards away? They had to be able to hear the traffic on it?

2. K2 says:

OMG!!! Tis is a prank right/ What moron calls 911 to get out of a corn maze? The husband needs to grow a set and he should have to turn in his man card immediately. They live in Everrett right? I’m calliing Social Services right now to help save their two kids from their idiot parents. I too hope that they get charged for the emergency services it took to get them out of the corn field…. i can’t believe it. You East Coast folks are so freakin funny.

2. Lorenzo Ziroli says:

lol flatlanders!!!!

3. Anthony says:

Dingbats. We’re lost, we’re in a corn maze. wwwaaaah, waaah, waaaah. Probably should thought twice about heading out into a corn maze with small children so close to closing time. What did they think was going to happen. hahahahahaha

4. Jeanne says:

Shouldn’t the farm management ensure that everyone gets out before closing time – especially since the sun sets so much earlier now.

1. Dawnmarie says:

thats what i was thinking as well..shouldnt they check n be sure all customers n visitors are gone before they leave

1. Lisa Valente says:

The farm staff didnt leave. Connors farm always stays open past its posted hours and they DO wait until everyone has left the maze which is why there were still employees at the farm at 7pm…1 hour after closing time.

5. Joe says:

The police did a fine job helping these people. The officer on the phone did well to keep them calm. I’m sure it was a stressfull situation for the couple and their baby. It was a mistake they found themselvs in and could happen to anyone. Glad all ended well.

1. petem says:

Hear hear! Thanks for your compassion. It’s sorely lacking nowadays. It seems like this as well as all the other comments areas I view are simply a dumping ground for everything awful and mean and rotten we can think of to say to someone else. I say if you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face don’t say it on-line. If you don’t have the stones to say it to me face-to-face are you being a coward in person or puffing yourself up on-line when you spew? one’s is true…maybe both…

1. gigi says:

Pete – you would call 911 before using common sense to walk through the stalks? really?? 911 is to be used for emergencies, period. These people are grown adults frustrated with a situation that they knowingly paid for; not an accident inside the maze, someone hurt, etc,, simply lost, which is actually what they paid for – to get lost, the thrill of the challange to get out, the exihiliration of anxiety, like paying for a roller coaster or something. They were not left stranded in shark infested waters like some divers recently, its CORN.

2. tsal says:

Petem – kodos to you as well. Yes, these people made a mistake and they had, from what I understand, a very young baby with them – a reason on its own to call 911. Did they do everything right? Do any of us do EVERYTHING right? You are absolutely correct that these blogs are dumping grounds for angry comments by people who somehow feel they would never make a mistake, would always do it better, and would never say any of that to your face. Good for you and I’m glad the family is safe and home.

3. C-tina says:

gigi…I laughed out loud at your last sentence, especiallay “it’s CORN” LOL. Although these people were dimwits, I’m sure they learned from their mistake..pack flashlights in the diaper bag….

4. petem says:

Thanks Tsal. I apprieciate your thoughtful, insightful cmmments, and although I don’t always agree (good god!), the important thing is the respectful discussion.
        I won’t dignify others here by replying to their hate filled postings.

5. gigi says:

C-Tina – thanks, just trying to keep it in perspective. They are adults (one over 40) that did overreact. I think that is what the bulk of us are saying; not dumping on them as some may think. shooda, wooda, coulda – I wonder if the parents are taking a second look back and thinking the same thing.

6. tsal says:

You are welcome Petem – and even when we don’t agree your views give me different perspectives. I think sticking to Keller is a safer bet. His posters seem to have far more respect for each other. See you there!

2. paul says:

Could happen to anyone – which is why the farm owner said no one has ever got lost before. Idiots.

3. paul says:

6. WBZ Needs An Editor says:

The lack of quality editing on WBZ stories is appalling. The headline says a PERSON was lost… yet the story makes reference to callers and a family… both plural.

1. JennyK says:

I agree that WBZ needs an editor as their quality has gone down hill in recent years. However, in this case, you are incorrect. The headline says “Person Lost in Corn Maze Calls Police” It was a person, singular that called police – the family didn’t call the police. To be fair, they may have changed the headline after your comment, which they have been known to do after comments are made about their poor editing ability.

7. maze master says:

I work at a separate maze in central mass and the maze masters have maps and are required to walk around and check the entire maze before closing. We also specify the maze is NOT for small children…

8. jaygee says:

If the old saying about the acorn not falling far from the tree, then I will wager that in another 20 years, the kid will also get lost…probably on Boston Common.

9. jice says:

I have been to this maze many times and the staff are nothing but the best. There are maps and lights near the entrance. These people over reacted. They should have called the farm. There is a number on the map and people were still there. It sounds like they didn’t even take a map. This corn maze has many night walks and i have never heard of any trouble. If your lost in a corn maze, just walk through the corn towards the way you came in and no reason to bring young children that late in the day. This is by no means Conners Farms fault. Its a great place to visit, with many things to do.

10. blackbear1 says:

jice, I also have been to this wonderful maze numerous times with my grandchildren, as I live nearby. Connors farm is a great operation. There are signs, maps,etc.
    petem, you don’t have the market cornered warm fuzzies, so cool it with the lectures.

1. tsal says:

I don’t think anyone should find the max owners at fault either – it was an accident -you know – the ones we all have on occasion. I find Petem to be one of the most consistently fair posters on these blogs. As is the case with the people who were lost or the owners who should know if anyone is left in the maze when it closes, we all stray from perfect at times but the exceptions should not be the focus – IMHO.

2. petem says:

did you consider for a second yourself in the place of the parents? I just can’t fathom the lack concern or even common decency people express when their identity is hidden.
      What if this was your son or daughter and grandchild? Would you berate them for their stupidity? What about the rest of you?
      Maybe you all have perfect lives where nothing bad ever happens and you always make the right choice…some of us aren’t that lucky.

1. s says:

actually, I have gotten lost in a maze for a couple of hours, that was 3 acres, two children approx 8 years of age, no cell service, and the only guide was new, and didn’t know the way, …. and yes I make fun of myself every-time I hear a corn maze story, You have to be able to laugh at yourself.

11. Robert says:

Personally, they should be sent the bill for wasting resources. If they were that scared, they could have plowed through the fielld. I hate to see what they do if working on a crossword puzzle.

12. I don’t understand why they didn’t just walk through the corn at that point to get out of the maze and then return to their car. The aerial view clearly shows a path around the outside of the entire maze and it’s not like the maze was made of bricks…it’s corn. You can walk through it. I was at this maze a few years ago in the dark and I could have easily cut through the corn and gotten out if I needed to. And I agree that you shouldn’t go to a corn maze right before closing, especially with small children.

1. Jessica says:

I just went to a corn maze, you can’t walk through it, especially with a 3 wk old baby. They were lost and it is getting freezing out at night. It was a good family time gone wrong. You people act as if you’ve never been in a tough situation and have been frightened before. Get a grip

13. gigi says:

Hello 9-1-1?? I am lost in the frozen food section – please hurry I am starting to loose feeling in my fingers!!

Its corn stalks-not a concrete wall. After a while of being lost (and BEFORE the sun goes down) you walk through them to freedom. If the company isnt going to send people looking for lost and frustrated patrons then they have to suck up the cost of repairing the corn stalks. Common sense is lost in today’s society and we are all doomed…

14. drewster says:

Why didnt they just pick a direction and WALK THROUGH THE CORN? Its corn, not a brick wall. A straight line in any direction would have brought them all outside of the maze if they were that scared.

1. Ed dracut says:

Believe it or not one of the hardest things to do is to walk in a straight line with out a visiual refrence. When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we tried walking in a straight line in the woods and without knowing a few tricks it’s very hard. That is why most people who get lost walk in circles. You need a refrence. It could be a hill a star or the noise from a highway or a heading on a compass. But being at night and not knowing the tricks they could have walked all night. Or as in my other post did the right hand trick. With out any of that it is very difficult. Try it some time. You will be surprised.

1. Amber says:

Well considering that corn is planted in straight rows as you can tell from the picture I would think that they would have a visual.Just pick a row and walk it will lead you to the edge of the maze eventually!

15. Ed dracut says:

If you are ever in a maze and get lost put your right hand on the wall and walk never taking your hand off the wall. It may be a long walk but you will come out.

1. Graphiczar says:

As you said, it may take a long time to get out (depending on where you are in the maze when you decide you’re lost), but this methodical approach always works.

16. Dee Stone says:

“Honey, let’s have some family fun. Strap the 3 week old infant on your back and le’ts go explore a corn field.” I wish this kid a lot of luck for a long and healthy life. He will need it..

1. Jessica says:

OHHH PLEASE! You must be so perfect. NEWSFLASH! Families are ALLOWED to have fun..The fresh air is absolutely wonderful for a newborn and it was a beautiful day! They couldn’t have predicted that they’d get so lost they wouldn’t be able to find their way out.. Seriously! It’s not everyday you see that on the news, no one ever does into a corn maze thinking that they wont find their way out

17. bj says:

Please charge these morons for the emergency services they wasted. Did I hear it correctly that it was a family of 4? Child protective services should be involved immediately.

18. David says:

What the hell were they thinking?

“Hmm… I’m lost in a corn maze!

Should I walk straight through the corn and trample a few stalks, or tie up a 911 operator and possibly contribute to the death of another human being?

I think I’ll waste 911’s time because I’m a flaming idiot! What a great idea!”

19. Patty says:

Marini’s corn maze is lost proof!

20. Robert Tilden says:

OMG…Polish tourists were in Danver?????LOL…

21. Jamie says:

A 3 week old baby has lots of needs and should not have been put in any situation where the potential for danger exists (ie….getting lost). I guess it’s one of those things you don’t think about until after the fact.

22. miahmdparash says:

It’s a nice article it will help my research.

23. Mind Blown says:

I love all you posters, you just turned my frown upside down with your humor. I agree with all of you haters, heh heh. People should just stop procreating. Humans are a scourge on this planet. Just the diapers alone are clogging landfills like crazy. Who really think that a screaming sh!t machine is cute anyway?

24. dealsaver says:

HELLOOOO CANINE HELLOOOOOOO CANINE. This is the best article I’ve read in weeks.

If they could see the lights to the farm –why didn’t they walk towards the light?

25. Man Police says:

First off it is Corn not a brick wall just walk through it till you are out then walk around the outside of the maze until you reach your car. Second this guy needs to turn in his man card ASAP!! What a tool!!!

26. A says:

Random trivia.

Any maze can be navigated by placing your right hand on the wall to your right and start walking.

Do not remove your hand from said wall and eventually, you will exit the maze

May not be the quickest way out but if lost, it works :)

1. JPN says:

Although that will work if you do it from the beginning of the maze, there’s no guarantee if you initiate that method from within the maze that it will work. You could put your hand on a wall segment that does not connect with the outside walls and you would end up walking in circles around that segment.

27. Michael Marini says:

Get Lost at Marini Farm Safety Precautions – Ipswich MA

28. emom says:

Ok love corn mazes,, actually me and my kid did one this weekend ,,, all I can say is …… WHAT A BLAST WE HAD,,,, sure you get turned around, but as an earlier poster stated,, GET YOUR BARRINGS STRAIGHT. There are two sets of bridges, you can go up and look around get your visual direction there… I dont under stand some people,, Some just should never try it.. But really CORN IS NOT PRISON WALLS.,, walk thru it it does bend ,,,, after all they do cut it down.., now,,,,, I WANT TO GO THRU A MAZE AT NIGHT ……A NIGHT FRIGHT CORN MAZE SOUNDS SO COOL…..

29. John Nestor says:

Bet they were Democrats. It takes a village to figure out how to get out of a corn maze

30. Margie says:

I am laughing so hard reading/hearing this. My car was “lost” at Knotts Berry Farm once and I had to have security drive me around until we found it so it might be possible that I would get lost in a corn maze but I would never have thought to call 911. I would have fought my way to freedom through the corn stalks or rolled on the ground laughing at the predicament I was in and spent the night with my kids.

Wonder why the wife called, seems like the husband would have called 911. He was no spring chicken. I could maybe understand the 911 call if the couple had been in their early 20’s.

31. Joseph Barton Comstock says:

Why not just walk through the corn rows? It’s not that hard to figure out how to get out of the corn if you are really that desperate.

32. Anonymous says:

I think it’s ridiculous that anyone said anything negative about this situation. Its not your life and you didn’t have to put up with any of this. You chose to read the article and listen to the video…if you didn’t like what you saw or heard, you should have kept it to yourself. Negativity is the breeding ground for failure. Keep up the hateful attitudes and you will fail at your own life. While you’re hating on everyone else, you’re letting your own life crumble while those people you think are so “stupid” are winning at life.