Abington School Committee Chairman Regrets Magic Bra Trick

ABINGTON (CBS) – The chairman of the Abington School Committee is an amateur magician who likes to lighten up the start of meetings with some tricks.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports

But Russell Fitzgerald may have gone too far Tuesday night.

He pulled out several handkerchiefs, called Steven Shannon, Abington’s Teacher of the Year, to come forward, and then called on school committee member Ellen Killian.

Fitzgerald then performed a trick that made it look like he and Shannon pulled Killian’s bra off through her clothes.

Killian, who is also a teacher, won’t talk about it and appeared embarrassed when approached by a local newspaper.

Fitzgerald told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Wednesday he regrets “selecting the magic trick that I did.”

“Neither of them knew what the outcome of the trick would be and, obviously, I’ve apologized to Miss Killian for any embarrassment that I might have caused her.”

Peter Schafer, the superintendent of Abington schools, released this statement to WBZ-TV Wednesday:

“The performance of the magic trick was a surprise. I know Mr. Fitzgerald regrets performing the trick and he has apologized. My focus and attention is now on pressing school department business and agenda items.”

The incident appeared live on Abington’s public access cable channel.

It’s scheduled to be posted to their web site Thursday.

Comments

1. Phil says:

I do magic. I know the trick. It’s not in my repertoire.
    It’s funny if I make something bad happen to ME. But never to an audience member. Only something funny to them.
    I don’t work anymore just once in a while but I must say.
    A lot of entertainers lack “Taste”. I can’t believe some of the thing I’ve seen or heard myself.

2. response says:

There is an old saying my parents used to say…”there is a time and a place”
    School committee meetings are certainly not the place for something like this.
    If it can’t happen in the school system, it shouldn’t happen in a school committee open meeting.

3. shotime says:

Sure…, a nightclub may be a more appropriate venue for this particular trick, but in the end no harm was done!

4. emom says:

AHHHH WHAT WAS HE THINKING…. why do people resort to stupid palor tricks to gain the attention of folks.. AHHHH WHAT ARE THEY 5 YEARS OLD.. Gee time for the magician to take a bow and LEAVE.. just saying…

5. Mark Scanlon says:

He’ll be transfered to the budget committee to see if he can make budget line items disappear.

6. emom says:

OHHHH he will yuse disapearing ink then LOL

7. abington resident says:

He needs to go. Mysogeny has no place at a school committee meeting.