State Retirement Board Suspends Sal Dimasi’s Pension

BOSTON (CBS) – The State Retirement Board suspended the pension of former House Speaker Sal DiMasi Thursday.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports

DiMasi had been collecting about $5,000 per month from the state.

He was sentenced to eight years in prison last week for accepting kickbacks.

The board will hold a forfeiture hearing later to determine whether DiMasi should lose his pension for life.

He has been ordered to report to prison on November 16.

Comments

1. Willow says:

I hope DiMasi never gets his pension back again. And, what is with this reporting to prison on a certain date all about? He’s been convicted and sentenced, so why is he still out on the street with a report to jail date? Why do other convicted criminals get to go directly to jail, and not this criminal? I totally dislike our judicial system with a set of rules for the rich and another for the poor. That needs to change!!

2. John B says:

GET HIS PENSION BACK?? ARE YOU KIDDING, HE COMMITTED THIS CRIME ON THE JOB. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. HE SHOULD ALSO PAY BACK THE PENSION MONEY THAT HE HAS RECEIVED AND THAT THE PENSION BOARD TRIED TO STOP A COUPLE YEARS AGO.

3. emom says:

Ok why is there even any debate over whether or not he should receive his pension… Lets put it this way,,, Personally I feel if you do a crime and they are able to determine how many years you have committed this crime, well during those years you should loose your pension.. I would think he would loose his entire pension, but if he was a good worker with no blemishes on his record then receive the pension for that time period,, HOWEVER, if the KICKBACKS are higher , Which I feel are, then NO revoke his entire pension on the premises that he had received above and beyond what he would have received thru kickbacks,. Why should we still , In this case, reward politicians of any kind , especially when there is other money involved.. To me it looks more like they were PADDING their little golden nest egg to cheat others. How fair is it when we give into those that hurt others and steal and accept crooked deals, We punish small time bad guys for more than they should and give benefits, perks and early release to those with hard core crimes even murder. The justice system is in reverse, going backwards , I do hope they stick to what they say on this case and not give in by giving him his pension, He took kickbacks I wonder How much was it, I believe it would have been far larger than $5k a month, more like a week, No perks for a thief, swindler, crook, he is to get NOTHING .. For that matter he should pay the state for his stay in the prison, Not the folks of the commonwealth.. Its should never be OUR burden to SUPPORT him since he TOOK from us.

4. EFW says:

I think the article in the Editorial page of the Globe – Tues. 9/13/11 by Joanna Weiss says it all. The Title was “The Luxury Goods Club.” Mr. DiMasi wanted to live the life style he could not afford. He then chose to take the low road and cheat and steal from the people of the Commonweath. He does not deserve to be rewarded by,in fact, collecting any pension, in my opinion.

5. townie says:

Great news – however, he should have lost his pension immeidately after being convicted. He also should be incarcerated NOW – not in November. Remember Sal, do the crime – also have to do the time!! BYE-BYE!!

6. ed says:

WHY NOV 16th? Now like any other criminal!!!! No more pensios for you,sleeze.

7. JohnC says:

This hardly ever happens, but I have mixed emotions about this pension issue. Mr. DiMaisi did pay into the pension system; at the very least he is entitled to what he paid in. Then put the bas__rd in jail.

8. Michellebjtx says:

Hi there everyone I simply wanted to bring in me personally. When you have questions please feel free to inquire. I’m sorry regarding my own bad language