Brookline Group Wants To Take Pledge Of Allegiance Out Of Schools

By Christina Hager, WBZ-TV

BROOKLINE (CBS) – You’ve said it so many times, can recite it in your sleep.

“I pledge allegiance to the flag…”

Now one group in Brookline wants to take the Pledge Of Allegiance out of public schools.

“It’s bad for education. It’s bad for diversity and tolerance, and it’s bad for patriotism,” says Martin Rosenthal, who’s the co-chair of Brookline Pax.

The group was behind a recent change in Brookline’s policy last winter, which made the pledge optional and not required.

Now he wants to take it a step further, with an all-out ban.

“What do you say to a 6-year-old? We’re going to do a Pledge Of Allegiance to the flag of the United States and you don’t have to participate? What does a 6-year-old think?”

There’s no shortage of residents who’ll debate his point.

“I think it’s a piece of our American society and we should always have a piece of that in school,” says 7th grader Alex Stameris.

WBZ-TV’s Christina Hager reports

His mother agrees. “I think we should say it every day and we should be proud of it.”

Brookline town meeting members will vote on the issue in November.

If it passes, it won’t be binding, just a suggestion for the school board to consider.

School Committee Chair Rebecca Stone says it’s unlikely the board will revise the pledge policy again.

More from Christina Hager
Comments

1. chilitokid says:

Hey Martin Rosenthal, who’s the co-chair of Brookline Pax, I’ll gladly buy you a first class ticket anywhere you want to move outside the US….they don’t say the Pledge of Allegiance in a lot of 3rd world countries that they’ll chop your head off in!!
    In case you forgot

Pledge of Allegiance

I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

“I pledge allegiance” (I promise to be true)

“to the flag” (to the symbol of our country)

“of the United States of America” (each state that has joined to make our country)

“and to the Republic” (a republic is a country where the people choose others to make laws for them — the government is “of, by and for” the people)

“for which it stands,” (the flag means the country)

“one nation” (a single country)

“under God,” (the people believe in a supreme being)

“indivisible,” (the country cannot be split into parts)

“with Liberty and Justice” (with freedom and fairness)

“for all.” (for each person in the country…you and me!)

The pledge says you are promising to be true to the United States of America!

1. Harold Garey says:

Well done!! I’ll contribute to ship his and his family to any Muslim country, where they belong. Go visit the military cemeteries in foreign lands to see what we, U.S. citizens, have sacrificed for the country and our freedoms. A Korean War era vet.

2. emom says:

GOD BLESS, AMEN, I PLEDGE…………………….. YEAH

1. James Healy says:

I have a solution, tell these idiots to move to another country.

3. Sue Ells says:

Well said! Thank you! Brooline Pax, you should be ashamed of yourselves. What’s next??.. We stop singing our National Anthem during sporting events because we may offend people attending the games or viewing them on TV. I am proud to be an American!

4. Linda says:

Now is an even more important era for children to learn and recite the Pledge. With so many immigrants in America it should be a reguirement like it always used to be. Apparently we need to clean up and out our schools of all left-wingers-soon-to-become-wanna-be’s so our children can learn love and respect again.

5. David S says:

One of the most important liberties we want to celebrate in the pledge is the freedom to practice our own faith. For those of us who do not believe in a supreme being, the “under god” phrase is dishonest. I want a pledge I can believe in when I recite it. Remove the phrase but keep the pledge.

1. MoonBeamWatcher says:

PC is what caused the Ft. Hood massacre. Fighting that PC urge I can only suggest that you get a grip and soldier on behind the majority of Americans. What kind of “Faith” doesn’t believe in a “Supreme Being?” And oh yes, enjoy your April 1st holiday.

2. Nathalie says:

David S, It’s because of the men and women fighting overseas and here in the UNITED States of America for our liberties that you do have the freedom to practice your own faith whether it be christianity, judaism, voodoo or nothing at all…It isn’t saying a specific god. It’s saying we are “…one nation under god…” Our troops say these words with pride and they are not all of the same faith, but they say it together. We are a diverse country, yet we stand together against our common enemies no matter what god we believe in. If you don’t understand that, then that’s just sad.

6. Nathalie says:

Right there with you chilitokid!!! Rosenthal is out of his mind…I would like him to please explain to us how the pledge of allegiance is “It’s bad for education. It’s bad for diversity and tolerance, and it’s bad for patriotism,” He has no idea what he’s talking about.

My children learned to say the Pledge of Allegiance in kindergarten. They came home proud that they could, and to this day still say it with pride. Ship him, his family and their supporters off to Iraq or Afghanistan where they can tell our troops who have left their families, jobs and safe lives to fight for our country that it’s not patriotic. They still say it there every day!!!

2. walter says:

“UNBELIEVABLE” What is this country coming to… If you don’t want to pledge your allegiance to the AMERICAN FLAG you should go to a private school or possibly move to another country. As far as public schools they should recite it everyday. You should stand tall and proud every day when reciting this and be thankful for the flag and the country it represents. It just goes to show how politically correct this state and country are. This is getting out of control. I want my kids to take part everyday in this rite of passage and tradition that has been set in schools way before my time.

3. Dave says:

This is America people..If you can’t agreee with the pledge of Allegiance…LEAVE!!!

1. walter says:

Brookline thinks it is Cambridge..It’s not the peoples republic of Brookline

4. Don says:

Great timing during the week of the 10 yr commemoration of 9/11. Shame on you for taking a serious issue like bullying and twisting it to fit your warped agenda.

BTW, the principal wants to see you in his office for a U.S. history tutoring session. Or is submitting to the authority of the principal a form of bullying also?

5. Bruce says:

If you don’t want to pledge yourself to America; how about America takes away your federal money….you Jerks!!!!!

6. Jackson H says:

The Brookline Pax Group should move out of the country – you shameful bunch of fools!

7. mike sullivan says:

Hey you jerk I guess you forgot ww2&the holocaust.
    You are a true liberal /terrorist .
    How soon you jerks forget
    9/ 11

1. Greg says:

liberal/terrorist? really?

8. Nancy Ring says:

I thought Madeline Murray O’Hare and her family was dead!!!

1. count4eternity says:

Nancy,
      Madalyn, her son Jon and granddaughter Robin were kidnapped, tortured and murdered by the two atheist men whom Madalyn had hired directly from prison to manage her American Atheists organization in Austin, Tx.
      Madalyn’s son, William J. Murray — in whose name she sued to remove prayer from American public schools — became a born again Christian (I can personally testify) in the early 80’s. For over a decade he was an evangelist in the U.S. and led missionary trips to Nicaragua, Russia, etc. Now he is the head of the Religious Freedom Coalition in DC.
      (Take that, Satan!)
      blessings,
      count4eternity

9. Willow says:

I don’t even understand where the phrase, “politically correct,” came from. Aren’t we a free nation to express our thoughts and opinions without fear of punishment? I grew up reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and to honor and respect our flag, and to be proud of the county I was privileged to be born in. I truly don’t know what’s happened to this nation, and where it will finally end up, but it doesn’t look like things will get any better. If we have to be, “politically correct,” in what we do, say, or think, I wonder just how free we truly are. Taking away the Pledge just drives our nation further and further away from what our founding fathers envisioned for this great country. I agree with the other comments. If you don’t want any loyalty to this nation, then maybe you should find a new country to live in.

10. Linda Engelmann says:

Brookline is host to a lot of foreign families who are NOT Americans, but are here for a short time for a variety of reasons. Perhaps this is why the Brookline Pax group suggested that the Pledge of Allegiance be removed from morning activities. Perhaps a compromise should be considered: those who don’t want to pledge don’t have to.

I am sorry to see the mostly jingoistic, hate-filled remarks above. Those are certainly NOT in the American spirit.

1. Willow says:

Linda, they’ve already been given a choice to recite it or not. This is a total ban they are calling from. If people are in this country for a short while to study and take advantage of education and whatever other freedoms that are available to them, then they should be ready to accept the American way. Otherwise, go to school in your own country. That is not being hate-filled. I would expect to honor the customs of a foreign country if I was being educated abroad.

1. susan brooks says:

Willow,

I was a teacher in Brookline. Most kids who come to Bline from other countries DO PLEDGE TO THE FLAG. I recall having a student who said he was just a visitor and didn’t want to recite the pledge. I was fine with that and so were his classmates. There was no bullying or discomfort. It all passed uneventfully. This is a non-issue. The truth here is that PAX wants to deny those students who want to say it – (once a week!) the right to do that. This is a total tempest in a teapot by people (like Rosentahl) who apparently don’t have enough to think about.

2. lennyboy says:

I’d be HAPPY to compromise ! Start a fund to let htem ALL emigrate “elsewhere” ! I’d gladly contribute .
      Ciao

3. MoonBeamWatcher says:

I’ll give you “JINGOISTIC” wrap yourself in the TRUTH below!

Marty Rosenthal is a former ACLU ‘operative’ (do a google search for ACLU! Learn that the ACLU is antithetical to it’s suggested honorable meaning and promotes bad as good and wrong as right ) he was a leader of the Socialist Rent Control scheme and elected to the Brookline board of selectmen by his “Free Lunch” crowd. He now attacks most every American tradition from Christmas, prayer in school, security cameras via the ACLU associated group PAX.

11. Roy says:

Can’t band video games, but can ban the Pledge of Allegiance? Something is very wrong!

12. Willow says:

I should have added that this group should work so hard to keep drugs, gangs, and teenage pregnancy out of schools. Then they would be truly doing their fellow Americans a great deed.

13. Jim says:

Trying to ban the Pledge of Allegiance again, on the anniversary of 9/11? Where do these people come from? Better yet, why don’t they go back!

14. John says:

Only a liberal could make sense out of ” saying the pledge is bad for education and PATRIOTISM” How do people usually show their patriotism??? By displaying a flag of course.

15. response says:

I wonder if these people have a problem in taking federal/state funds to PAY for their childrens public education?

16. Legagnon says:

Instead of taking the Pledge of Allegiance out of Brookline, why don’t these people take themselves out of America.–problem solved

17. Steve says:

The pledge of Allegiance should be recited every morning,by all schools. If you live in this country you live by its rules. If not ,go back to where you came from. Brookline should be ashamed of itself for making it optional.
    Martin you are a jerk,no question.

18. blackbear1 says:

Why is this site saying that I am posting comments too quickly Slow down. This is the third time in the last 12 hours.

19. whatever says:

poliical correctness is bullying

20. Paul says:

Things started going downhill when our US Supreme Court voted to allow a painting of someone peeing on the American Flag…under our “freedom of speech”…instead of locking them up and throwing away the key.

21. Jess says:

Sigh…. Come on, Brookline Pax. Really? Please channel this misguided energy elsewhere, somewhere with purpose. Enough with the slacktivism.

22. emom says:

I am a born and raised American, WHO recited the pledge of allegiance daily in school, WHATS THE BIG DEAL. You don’t like it then by all means go to a school in which there is no pledge allegiance, where THE AMERICAN WAY is not an influence on your child, where what AMERICAN was founded on can not alter you child, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, a NATION held together by courage & god, You don’t like THE ONE NATION UNDER GOD, its OUR NATION and OUR GOD, A god I am proud to know, hold dear to my heart , BELIVE IN, A nation in which MY FREEDOM is at stake, because people like you can not handle DIVERSITY, and want to abolish the very MEANING of what MY COUNTRY IS. WHO DARE YOU , want to rip the very FABRIC down from our poles, and toss it aside, as if it is a scourge to you . SHAME on you for trying to CHANGE the very CORE of our existence since you are unable to simply just look away and let us have what we have, We allow you to have your BRAND of BELIEFS, and we do not try to take it away from you,, But that will now change,,,,,,
    I do not want you to walk up to me and pedal your BELIEFS, Keep your OPINIONS to yourself, If you do not like what I do SHUT UP , WALK AWAY AND GO ON WITH YOUR MERRY LIFE , Do not PEDAL YOUR BELIEFS to me, I am not interested in it.
    Also if you do not Like what we do here,,, WHATS HOLDING YOU HERE, there is no fence up, no locks , no chains, we are a FREE nation , that can come and go , All we ask is such a little amount from you , and now you want to RIP THE VERY CORE of what this country stands for. If that’s the case, Why not go and create your OWN NATION, find a ISLAND some where and start it up as a non GOD BELIEF WORLD.. That will appease the gods on all levels,, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO DIVERSITY, So many jobs enforce it yet as a nation we have to drop it to allow someone to be happy,,, I think its finally back fired,,,, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW,, SEE WHAT YOU CAUSED.. LEAVE MY GOD, NATION AND THE RED WHITE & BLUE ALONE, IT’S OUR RIGHT TO RECITE IT NO ONE IS FORCING YOU STEP OUT TILL ITS DONE, DO NOT TAKE WHAT WE HOLD DEAR TO OUR HEARTS AWAY. AND WE WILL NOT DO THAT TO YOU… AMEN. AND GOD BLESS,

1. JayMatthewsOfNC says:

That is the BEST comment I’ve seen so far.

23. banjo says:

Liberalism is a mental disorder. It does not get any more clear than that. The real tragedy here is that the town is taking this matter seriously. Only in MA.

1. laurier says:

“Liberalism is a mental disorder”. I consider myself “liberal” on many issues, but do not agree with eliminating the Pledge of Allegiance. Liberalism is about fairness and compassion for others; it is NOT synonymous with being unpatriotic!

1. Theresa Hamilton says:

Liberalism is not about fairness and compassion for others; it is synonymous with being unpatriotic! You would cut off the legs of a person in order to carry them around so that you could pat yourself on the back saying “look at me, I am a wonderful caring person” When in reality you are the one that crippled them..

24. lennyboy says:

Discraceful ! Your little cherub will be well-served by quiclky learning that it’s NOT all about you . As with most of this population, my grandparents were PROUD to come, learn culture and language . While they were proud of their Italian heritage , this became HOME .No , I’m not hateful or jingoistic…..I realize , that, despite flaws, this is the best place to be , PERIOD. You’re all free to leave,correct? BTW, WWII vets must be rolling over in their graves with this one .

25. Please says:

These people should be hanging their heads in shame that they even brought this up, especially around the anniversary of 9/11. They should be forced to walk through Ground Zero and have eggs thrown at them. Then they can pack their bags and go live in another country. Narrow-minded ignorant fools.

26. sONIA lEON says:

Hey Mr. Pax man, Do you know how many American soldiors died during WW!! to save a parasite like you?

27. Sonia Leon says:

Hey Mr. Pax man, Do you know how many American soldiers died during WW!! to save a parasite like you?

28. emom says:

My father was born and raised in CANADA,, as a young boy he came with his family to this country to live, Went thru the process, had a green card and became a UNTED STATES OF AMERICAN CITIZEN, Held his hand over his HEART recited the PLEDGE OF ALLEGENCE, AGRREED to what this country stands for and HELD the good OL GLORY, the RED , WHITE & BLUE to his heart , encouraged his family to respect it as it WAVED ITS STARS & STRIPES HIGH ABOVE US, giving us a reason for HOPE, and till his death still HELD this to his heart, My father was so proud to BE AN AMERICAN , THAT HE NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE WOULD EVER TEAR IT DOWN,,,,, I am so amazed at the lack of respect for what so many hold to be dear to them… and we have to bow down to someone all because they do not believe,, WHY……………….. AGAIN WHY ,, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHAT WE OFFER TO YOU , DO NOT LIKE WHAT THIS COUNTRY STANDS FOR, BY ALL MEANS, WE ARE NOT HOLDING YOU HOSTAGE YOU CAN LEAVE AND CREATE YOUR OWN NATION OF WHAT EVER NOTIONS YOU BELIEVE IN… TAKE THOSE THAT ALSO BELIEVE IN IT AND HAVE A GREAT AND WONDEFUL LIFE,,, JUST LEAVE MY LIFE AND BELIEFS ALONE AND LET THOSE THAT RESPECT IT AND WANT TO RECITE IT ALONE TO DO JUST THAT,
    RECITE THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGENCE TO THE FLAG ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, GOD BLESS AMERICA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. Steve says:

I agree with you completely and your dad is and will be a “true American” for every.

29. Perks210 says:

Maybe they don’t need to leave the country – maybe just move to San Francisco? I certainly hope the crazies in this PAX group do not turn Brookline into the San Fran of the east coast. Sad

30. Harold Downing says:

Wow!! I cannot believe the selfishness and narrow mindeness of the PAX group and Linda Engelmann on the subject of the Pledge of allegiance. Don’t they read the newspapers or watch T.V. to see the sacrifices our young men and women are making for their freedom. If you disagree with their position you are labeled as “hateful”. When the boat leaves for “Utopia” Linda make sure you and your kind are on it.

1. Linda Engelmann says:

I am not saying that to disagree with the proposed ban is hateful. The extreme language of some of the commentators is. If you were working/studying in a foreign country, would you want your kids pledging allegiance to that country? However, I agree that a complete ban doesn’t make sense, and that surely Brookline Pax has other, better, more important issues they could deal with. Plus, it’s very bad timing to suggest this now at the 9/11 anniversary.

1. MoonBeamWatcher says:

Out of the mouths of babes . . . from a 10 year old Devotion student, “all the kids join in saying the pledge – some of the foreign students don’t but they don’t do so good in English to begin with!” Maybe PAX can work on changing the name of Devotion . . . sorta religious sounding doncha think?

31. MEME says:

SHAME ON ROSENTHAL!! SHAME ON BROOKLINE FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THIS OUTRAGEOUS ACT.

32. Jim Anderson says:

Must be another “Somalia” like nation there. This is original. I wonder what they teach their children, how to pack a bomb? I would not want their kids in MY school. Perhaps they should be invited to leave the USA. I would now seriously consider the safety of my child in that school system and the safety of the community. Perhaps the ATF and ICE should pay them a visit and see if they pack heat and make bombs…

33. Jim says:

Google: Brookline Pax Group. You can send Marty and his unAmericans a message. Pass it to your fiends and have them send Lib Nasty Marty a message.

34. MoonBeamWatcher says:

35. hmmaffeo says:

all who do not want to salute flag should move to another country

36. CellarWater says:

I certainly hope Rosenthal was not born in the United States of America. Please return to the hell hole you slithered out of.

37. Margie says:

Rosenthal, you and your little so called PAX Gp. are so pathetic. Please do us Real
    Americans a favor and move to another country !!! Saluting the flag is an important symbol of our country and showing the pride and respect we have for the U.S. of America. Children should understand the meaning behind saluting the flag and take pride in it as we, real Americans do. It’s part of the histort of our country. I am proud to be an American .You and your pax group of which you need to change your name because you don’t in any way stand for Peace or the American way! It sounds more like the communist way.Shame on you and to the town of Brookline for even listening to your whining. This country is based on ….In God we Trust. You need lots of prayers. Bon voyage…..

38. Mary says:

Love the way you use the “bullying” word to alarm folks into thinking that those who don’t choose to say the Pledge of Allegiance should have more rights than those who do choose to say the Pledge. What’s up with you? Get over it… There are lots of folks who like to say the Pledge and it’s a freedom of speech right protected by the Constitution – read it! If you or your kids don’t want to participate you can wait quietly until they’re finished. I wait quietly many times when things are going on that I don’t necessarily support, but know others have the right to say or do. That’s what we’re all about here in the USA.

39. J.N. ENGEL says:

MOVE TO LYBIA,IRAN,OR SYRIA ITS YOUR CHOICE BUT ITS WHERE YOU BELONG!! LETS SEE HOW YOU ARE TREATED & RESPECTED THERE wHY ARE OUR KIDS FIGHTING & DYING IN AFGHANISTAN?? WHY DID THEY DIE IN WW2? YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS A “BULLY” GOD BLESS THIS COUNTRY WHICH PROTECTS US, YOUR FAMILY & YOUR MISERABLE SELF & THOSE LIKE YOU. i AM OUTRAGED!!

40. Woody says:

No pledge? NO FED FUNDING!!!

41. Jim says:

Amen. The sooner, the better, we get these Non-Americans out of the USA. The bills in various state legislatures are being fough by the Catholic Church, no less. We need an awakening to renew the USA as it was invented. The people fighting the legislation are also ciminals as they are equally guilty of “after the fact” of helping an illegal immigrant hide. These illegals, regardless of where they come from, are criminals and shoul be treated as such. I wonder how many are being hidden by Mr. Rosenthal, perhaps from the Gaza strip?

42. J. D. Griffith says:

Such hate, no respect for other view points, mean attitudes, no deep thinking I have read in almost all of these comments. I am sad for such words of viciousness.
    These comments remind me of the days the Germans used to sing their national anthem and pledge to their flag. The Germans have respect for their country now, but they no longer sing and pledge to their flag.

1. Paul says:

Stop being sad….move to Germany

2. Jim says:

Mr Griffith: You are a typical person with zero respect for a nation and others. You SHOULD be reminded of that. How do you know so much? When I was in Germany in 1962 (Berlin) they very much loved their country and did do such. I suspect you (and your fiends) attitude is about “I am better than you and you should worship us and pledge to us because WE are special” . I have news for you, you put your pants on one leg at a time, the same as all of us. You and your fiends show disrespect for the MAJORITY of the people whom care less about your religion, who you are or where you come from. We are One nation under God, get used to it or go live in Palestine. What makes you and your friends so special that you refuse to respect the rest of the nation? Every faith served in the military when I was in there and every one of them pledged to the flag. You and your friends are simply hypocrits and I suspect my friends in Sharon do not support you as you are an insult to their faith.

43. Warren says:

I say this kind of thing that is going on in this Country is very wrong we should be having the Pledge of Allegince in our schools and for those that don’t like this I say they should leave this country and don’t come back.

44. David S says:

I am an atheist, and I always felt excluded and offended when I was told to recite the pledge in school. I am patriotic but I want to recite a pledge that does not contradict my core values. I advocate removing the “under god” phrase that was added to the pledge, so that reciting the pledge can be an inclusive and unifying experience — not the exclusionary and disheartening one that I always had as a child.

1. Derek says:

Also i did not mean that as a personel attack II just seen that you brought up being an Athesist

2. Jim says:

David, old buddy, you can personally recite the pledge and simply not say :Under God” or you could simply stay seated. In my old school, we had several whom did not stand. There was no issue, it was a personal thing. Our fellow students also brough Jewish Bibles when necessary and we had NO issues, of course the libs would not like that today…

1. David S says:

Jim, Thank you for your suggestions. Of course, many children deal with this situation in the ways you suggest. But do they feel good about their country, while they remain seated — excluded from a daily ritual affirming our patriotism? Personally, I’d like the pledge to reinforce our love for our country with all of the children — not just some.

3. MoonBeamWatcher says:

David S. Karl Marx would swoon over this post, but I suggest –
      So, now you wish to transfer your exclusionary and disheartening values instilled in you by your parents on “We the people” the once SILENT MAJORITY, silent no more.

45. Derek says:

Someone please explain to me how “Pledging Ones Allegiance To The Flag” is ba dofr patriotism

46. Derek says:

Why can Liberals and Atheists bully the majority into not being able to say the pledge of allegiance, believe in god, or show our love for this country we call home

47. taxedout says:

Typical of this town…Carbon copy of Cambridge. Nothing else out there to do than think of idiot ideas like this. Isn’ t this the town who didn’t want camera’s in high crime area’s, cause it would violate thier rights. A week later a women gets raped by an illegal and the truck is caught on the camera… Also we have to turn down the weed wackers and blowers, guess it would impeed the Deep Thiking that goes on in this town. mare than likely another sancuary city..

48. bostonian02116 says:

Are you also going to ban yarmulkes and any other religious junk Mr. Rosenthal?

49. MoonBeamWatcher says:

bostonian 02116, you are so very, very correct! PAX, (the ACLU associate group) started with it’s nose in the tent with once a week pledge on a volunteer basis, now with that victory ACLU/PAX wants total exclusion of OUR PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. Trust me, at the Driscoll when the teacher asked for a show hands . . . ‘who will be absent for the Jewish holidays?’ and she said, ‘CHRISTOPHER, put your hand down’, I wondered how she knew!

50. Jeffers Dodge says:

Michael Dukakis was ridiculed for saying so at the time. But he was absolutely right. Federal, State and Local laws requiring students to say the Pledge of Allegiance are all equally unconstitutional. And freedom isn’t really free if it comes with immense peer pressure. And if the teacher says “You can leave the room if you want to”, then the student will feel immense pressure to stay and salute the flag. It’s a naked and heavy-handed attempt to embarass students who don’t want to say the pledge. The Pledge of allegiance has no place in public schools. I’m in favor of patriotism. But only if it’s voluntary. Brookline Pax is absolutely right to challenge this towns attempt at coerced patriotism.

51. MoonBeamWatcher says:

Read the article cement head. THE Pledge of Allegiance is voluntary!
    The ACLU subdivision PAX lead lead by “former” ACLU operative Rosenberg wants to make it FORBIDDEN, kinda like prayers that are now only said before tests and to oneself!

52. Lee Ona says:

You live in this Country and take advantage of the freedom it shares and the Pledge makes your skin crawl. All I can say to you is buy a ticket and get out. Who are you to tell us what to do and take our rights away from us. People like you make me ill and I try real hard not to hate but you are making that very hard.

53. Jim says:

The libs have forgotten that when they take the side of every minority and make the majority suffer, they are digging a hole they cannot crawl out of, eventually. It is the duty of the majority to listen and not destroy any minority but the majority rules, not the minority. The ACLU is the champion of lost causes. It has singularly created more hatred of minorities than it has removed. One has to look inward and consider that there are two sides to this issue: If you do not wish to pledge, simply do not, no one will stomp you. That worked since 1776, why change the rules now? Appeasement of the Brookline majority haters are just that: Big boys with kids toys whom cannot get their way, except by crying fowl. Get a life. It is time to become one nation and can this hypocrisy. Remember, the Democrat party is the party of lawyers whereas the others are businessmen.

54. J. D. Griffith says:

Paul: The meaning of Paul is from Paulus, which meant “small” or “humble” in Latin. You may be small, but you are not humble. I remain sad in search of humanity in many of these comments. I worked for the Dept. of Defense for the United States of America for 26 years in Germany. Although I have great respect for their new German Constitution after WW2, and their need to no longer “salute” to a flag or “sing” their national anthem, I deeply understand their reason agreed upon by the people.

1. Jim says:

JD, you are a good man. I was also in Germany. I may go back… We must remember that those whom brought this and similar action probably were never in Germany or in the USA service, military or Gov. They have never seen the horror we have seen. One can believe in whatever they wish here, or nothing. If one wants to worship a rock, that is their business, not mine. If they want to worship nothing, that is also their business. It is when they want to silence the majority, for their personal agenda, then it is an issue. Thanks… .

1. MoonBeamWatcher says:

AMEN!

Thank you Jim! You described the ACLU and it’s clone PAX to a “T”

“It is when they want to silence the majority, for their personal agenda, then it is an issue.”