Woburn Officer Shot During Robbery In Good Condition

WOBURN (CBS) – A police officer was shot several times and wounded during a robbery at a Woburn jewelry store Tuesday morning.

It happened outside Musto Jewelers at 186 Cambridge Road around 11 a.m.

Officer Robert Denapoli suffered multiple gunshot wounds in both legs and an arm and sustained serious injuries, according to Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone. Denapoli was later listed in good condition at Lahey Clinic.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports from the scene.

Denapoli, according to the District Attorney’s office, is 51 years old and a 16-year veteran of the Woburn Police Department.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports from the scene.

A suspect was also shot and is in custody. Police did not identify that suspect, but hope to hold an arraignment as soon as Wednesday. There is an extensive search underway for at least three other suspects, including one woman, who managed to get away.

State and local police used helicopters and specially trained dogs in the manhunt.

State Police said they were hoping to release a detailed description of the gunman at some point. DA Leone did not give any information about any of the suspects during a late afternoon news conference.

THE NEIGHBORHOOD

Woburn residents were told to stay inside and keep their doors locked while officers searched for the suspects.

Ralph Bavaro works nearby at an auto dealership and saw the shooting.

View: Photos Of The Scene And Search

“The suspect was coming at the cruiser shooting at the police officer. The police officer was behind the driver’s door, crouched down shooting back at the suspect,” he told WBZ-TV.

“(The) suspect literally ran right on top of the hood of the police cruiser and unloaded approximately I’d say, about five or six shots right into the police officer, who, of course, hit the ground. And then he ran off across the street.”

WBZ-TV’s Ken MacLeod reports from a neighborhood near the crime scene.

Another witness, Elizabeth Hastings, who owns the Great Mandarin Restaurant next to Musto Jewelers, was opening for the day when she heard the gunshots.

“I saw a police cruiser with this man in front of the police cruiser just standing there with a gun and the police officer was lying on the ground and it was pretty obvious that he had shot him and I just started screaming because I just got so nervous,” she told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

“I was thinking ‘Let’s make sure all of the doors are locked’ because I didn’t know what the man was going to do, if he was going to come back into the building. I didn’t even know he had robbed the jewelers here.”

This is the second time a Woburn police officer has been shot in the last year.

Authorities say Domenic Cinelli killed Woburn police officer Jack Maguire during a robbery at a Kohl’s department store in Woburn on Dec. 26, 2010. Cinelli was also killed in that shooting.

Comments

1. njuguna muigai says:

It high time the goverment provide police with bulletproof wear since robbers have armed themselves and they are ready to shoot their way to accompolish their evil mission.

2. Mark says:

How much ya’ wanna bet the perps were former guests of the commonwealth?

3. Mark says:

I say hang em’high and save the taxpayers loads of $. They also won’t spawn more of the same; thereby saving us even more.

4. 1stackmack says:

i was working at the landscaping company on burlington st.i new something happend cause the amount of noise fron the cruisers and around 11 am a helicopter started searching and still is at 5 pm.also are these crooks desprite to rob a store on a second floor,across from a dunkin donuts, and nowhere near a highway. i hope the cop is fine..

5. macmum says:

I had a Haverhill cruiser come up on my bumper with lights and sirens going on 495 south around 11:30 and wondered what that was all about ~ especially since my husband told me 15 minutes later that he had a Newton cop do the same to him around that same time on 128 north. It’s all hands on deck for this. I hope they catch these bums! Instead of stealing from your neighbors and in effect, jacking up the cost for everyone…and instead of shooting someone’s husband, father, brother, friend…how about you schmuks get a job flipping burgers or sweeping up? anything would be less pathetic than what you’re doing now! I hope the officer has a full recovery and his “brothers” get these people off the streets!

6. Cinque says:

Sounds to me like it wa Pancho Villa and amigos who pulled off this wild, wild west scenario. I bet they don’t even have a valid driver’s license or insurance, if you know what I mean.

7. Cinque says:

Sounds to me like it was Pancho Villa and amigos who pulled off this wild, wild west scenario. I bet they don’t even have a valid driver’s license or insurance, if you know what I mean.

8. levotb says:

10 to 1 they are all illegal aliens. If so, this was a completely preventable crime–that is, if Soetoro-Obama/DHS would shut down the Southern Border and would have had the needed ICE raids in the interior of the country over the last 2.5 years.