Earthquake Felt Across New England

BOSTON (CBS) – A 5.8 magnitude earthquake occurred just before 2 p.m. Tuesday, centered near Richmond, Virginia.

It was felt all the way up the East Coast including New England.

“I live in Hampton, NH and just felt the earthquake around 15 minutes ago. Our top floor is the fourth and my bed, dresser mirror and laps were shaking. Just wanted to let you know it was felt further than Boston,” Pamela Van Oss said in an email to WBZ-TV.

Several buildings in downtown Boston were evacuated as a precaution.

WBZ-TV’s Diana Perez reports from the Weston Observatory:

There are no reports of any serious injuries or damage.

Governor Deval Patrick on today’s earthquake in Virginia:

“The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency has been working throughout the afternoon with local cities and towns and law enforcement across the Commonwealth to verify any confirmed reports of damage. At this stage, it would appear that the Commonwealth has been spared any serious consequences from the Virginia earthquake. We will continue our efforts to ensure that our cities and towns are safe and do not require additional assistance from the state. As always, I would like to thank MEMA and our first responders across the state for their quick response.”

Here is a statement from State Police spokesman David Procopio:

“The Massachusetts State Police Communications Section has fielded several dozen calls from members of the public in the wake of the earthquake that hit the eastern seaboard about a half hour ago. We have received NO reports of injuries or significant structural damage from any of the emergency callers. Our dispatchers are advising callers about the earthquake, which was centered in Virginia, and checking to ensure they are not injured. We will update further if we receive reports of any injuries or structural damage.

Numerous employees in State Police General Headquarters in Framingham felt the tremors. Some employees felt more comfortable exiting the building and did so, but there was no official evacuation.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Doug Cope reports

The rumbling was also felt at Logan Airport.

“In the city we have staff out there, structural engineers, other people are checking this airport from one end to the other, ” Logan Airport spokesman Phil Orlandella told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

“Right now the airport itself is open and operational, but we’re being affected by three or four other airports that have either shut down or evacuated their terminals.”

Logan never closed because of the quake, but other east coast airports like Reagan National in Washington and JFK Airport in New York did shut down. As a result, nine international flights were diverted to Boston.

In 1755 a 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit Cape Ann and in 2010, a 5.0 earthquake hit Ottawa Canada and was felt in the region. On average, an earthquake is felt in Boston every three to five years.

WBZ Chief Meteorologist Todd Gutner has more on the quake

CBS Radio News reporter Peter Maer told WBZ he felt the tremors on Martha’s Vineyard, where President Obama was playing golf at the time of the earthquake.

Here are some of the reactions sent to CBS Boston on Twitter moments after the tremors:

Share your reactions in the comments section below.

Comments

1. ewahle says:

thought it was the freight train…but alas just an earth quake

2. Mary Magee says:

I felt it in Keene NH

3. GS says:

We felt it way up here in southern Maine!

4. Eric Michael Larson says:

My mom felt it at work. Went outside then went back in and then the alarm went off……. Way to stay ontop of things

5. MJ says:

My whole office in Boston shook, my desk, my chair, everything! It was mild enough that at first I thought I was imagining it, but it was real, and scary.

6. Mark says:

My daughter and I felt it on the Cape

7. Billy says:

I felt it in Shrewsbury!!

8. Nick says:

Federal Hill felt the earthquake as well.

9. Mike says:

Felt it here in my office in Hudson, MA. It wasn’t a shaking but a side to side motion….like nothing I’ve felt before.

10. BC says:

Felt it at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Southie!! The entire building shook and swayed for a few minutes. Really scary!!

11. rosepetill says:

Felt it in Concord, MA too – our whole building shook and everyone’s desks were swaying. I thought it was just me at first too until everyone was talking about it.

12. chris f says:

I felt it on cape cod as well

13. Angie says:

Felt it in Watertown! Thought it was construction but it was def the earthquake!

1. La Lestah says:

I thought it was construction vehicles!!

14. Scarfo says:

I work at MIT and the office I was in started to shake and the shades were swaying back and forth

15. Jack Burton says:

Charlestown was ROOOOOOOOOOOLLIN

1. Tiffany says:

The building I work in at the Schraffts complex was moving, They made us evacuate the building. Scary.

16. Laurie Szopa says:

I was sitting at my computer in my home in Lowell when I felt the whole house shake! I was looking around because the wind wasn’t blowing very hard and I couldn’t understand why. I kept still to make sure it wasn’t just me feeling dizzy, but it made me little queasy. There is a netting hanging in my daughter’s playroom next to where I was sitting and the fringe on the bottom of it was swaying. The house swayed back and forth for several seconds! I ran downstairs to ask my mother if she felt it and she didn’t know what I was talking about. We turned on the TV and saw that it was an earthquake!

17. Lo Pan says:

Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.”

18. Kathy Donovan says:

I t was felt on the 10th floor at BIDMC

19. Fran Raboy says:

We felt it at Mass Eye and Ear — our chairs moved

20. ESS says:

I work on the 5th floor at Fort Channel area of
    Boston. First it was my chair and then my desk. I looked out the window and everything was swaying.

21. pete says:

It was felt here at Fort Devens.

22. cape escape says:

We felt it on the Cape (Dennis) as well. Tables shaking, chandelier swinging. Very strange and disorienting

23. Paul C. says:

230 Congress Street in Boston shook. I called my parents & a friend in Arlington, but none of them felt it.

24. Marie Guerriero says:

We felt it in Salem MA

25. Maryann Girard says:

Felt it as Umass Memorial Health Care – maryann

26. benhurry1 says:

Sitting at my desk in the Financial District (PO Sq.) and the office began to gently sway, subtle rocking motion. Weird sensation as you almost think it’s you getting vertigo…….does make you concerned as Boston towers are not built to withstand a strong tremor, rigid construction.

27. Nancy Kapisky says:

Didn’t feel it but ‘saw’ it. I was sitting on my bed and noticed the long prisms on my crystal vase winging like crazy. There was no breeze o anything to cause it. My sister said he plants were shaking downstairs, too. We live in Marstons Mills on Cape Cod.

28. graywolf72 says:

We felt the entire house here in Leicester, Ma move forward and backward in a north/south orientation. This was the first time that we ever felt the house actually move during a distant earthquake. In the past during earthquakes, items hanging from the walls or ceilings would sway a bit, but THIS time the WHOLE house moved for about 15 seconds.

29. Jean says:

Felt it in the financial district in a high rise building. The entire floor was shaking back and forth. Thought it was either an earthquake or an explosion in the basement of the building!

30. Amy says:

I was sitting on the couch and it rocked back and forth here in Framingham

31. Bill says:

Felt it in the Fort Point Channel area on Congress street. The building swayed for about 10 to 15 second.

32. La Lestah says:

Felt it in Belmont. I thought a convoy of construction vehicles were going down my street!!! My son informed me of the quake 20 minutes later!

33. Missy says:

Having lunch at Boston Public Gardens and felt it for about 20 seconds. I thought I was getting hear stroke from sitting in the sun until I saw the water in my water bottle vibrating. Thats my second earthquake, the first was the one in Canada about a year ago, I was isitting n the Gardens that time too!

34. Jolene Mason says:

We’re on the fourth floor of Savers Bank in Southbridge, MA and we it felt like the building was swaying. It was an odd feeling. The blinds in the windows and the leaves on the plants were moving back and forth. It only lasted for about 15-20 seconds.

35. Tammy says:

ok people really? we have had aftershocks before. this is not earth shattering events. instead of freaking out over nothing more than what you would feel if a train went by, we should be hoping those in VA are ok

1. justsayin says:

Duche, er Tammy. We’re not freaking out….it’s an odd, rare sensation in this part of the world and we’re all just sharing the experience. I already commented to someone here at work that it might seem foreign to us and we’re fortunate no big deal….but we can only imagine what those in Japan, Haiti, China, experience, massive and widespread destruction….take a Midol and remain calm.

36. Corby says:

I felt it on Memorial Drive in the car at a stop light. The car was swaying like it was windy, but there was no wind. Weird feeling.

37. Mary says:

I live in Sterling and it was felt loud and clear here. Windows were shaking, house was swaying and pictues were swaying on the walls. Hope this isnt a sign of things to come.

38. bljo says:

Tammy – keep your bitterness to yourself, since you are so used to these kind of events.

39. Rick says:

Was on the deck here in Plymouth and it started shaking for about 15 seconds, quite an amazing feeling!!

40. Amy says:

We live in Winchendon,Mass.My father felt his chair start shaking in the living room and at the same time my mother was laying down and felt her bed shaking.I was outside in the back yard but didnt notice anything.

41. Michelle says:

Felt it in Marlborough, MA. 3rd floor. Still queasy.

42. helen b says:

Felt it here too in Warren,ma. felt like somone was stomping there feet in the house.

43. tammy says:

Wasn’t being bitter, I just think we should be more concerned with the real victims of this event

1. justsayin says:

and those “victims” are where?…..read the friggin’ reports, no major damage reported, so far….beatch

44. FireGuyFrank says:

Good news in from the Nation’s Capital, Washington, D.C.: no politicians were disturbed from their sleep.

1. Italo says:

You mean there are actually politicians in Washington, D.C., right now? ;) lol

45. Lisa Martin says:

Felt in Lawrence Massachusetts too!

46. SpecialK says:

The president was golfing at the time?! What else is new haha?

Anyway hope the people in VA are alright

47. Matt says:

We are visiting Washington D.C. and were at Arlington National Cemetary when it struck. The ground definitely rolled and the trees shook. The changing of the guard continued on schedule. Some damage to the area. Washington Monument closed indefinitley. Traffic is grid locked and people are waiting hours for busses to go home. Kind of crazy.

48. P. Johnson says:

Yeah, I felt it. My tv started shaking and my couch too. I grew up next to a freight train line so I figured it was just a train going by too fast in East Cambridge. Go figure.

49. Chuck Scharmann says:

I was napping in my chair in Springfield MA. Something woke me and I could see my chair vibrating. I thought I was still asleep but when I looked at my key hook I noticed all the keys were shaking, and I mean shaking. I stood up and almost lost my balance. I went outside to see what was going on, and saw nothing. By the time I got back inside it was over. I couldn’t connect to anyone by phone for about 15 minutes. The number would dial and then just hang, then hang up.

50. jeremy says:

I was watching a clip on the possible heavy stroms comming though on my laptop at home in Rowley ma and i started to feel like I was was rocking in the chair then looked at the self attached to the desk and in was sawying. I though it was winds comming from the storms! the dogs were running around looking and everything!

51. Jim Haines says:

Yes, I felt it. I thought someone was being me slowly shaking my chair. My desk was also vibrating, but the woman who sits next to me felt nothing. The light fixtures were also swaying a little bit. I work at the Design Center at the Marine Industrial Park and it sits on pure land fill. Yeah, we felt it alright!

52. MEO says:

3 of us felt it in our Subaru on route 33 in Chicopee MA; we were stopped at a light and it was as if someone was on both sides of the car rocking us slightly side to side. I thought the car was stuttering but the side to side movement was bizarre. We had no car trouble before or after; it happened again very briefly then stopped and we moved on without issue.

53. Ricardo says:

I was in Lowell MASS and i felt the quake in the building that i live.
    I was in bed and had a sensation that the building was shalking then i look to the mirror and was shaking side to side.
    I thought was the wind but then later i was aware that was the quake

54. Hope says:

Ah, yeah, NO I didn’t feel anything. Didn’t know about it until I got home a 6. I was in Westford, MA. Power of suggestion that people felt it so strongly.

55. tiffany says:

Close to Raleigh North Carolina–my car was at a light–strange feeling–this area felt it strongly.

56. john says:

missed it…whale watching in stellwagan..maybe whales were frightened since we hardly saw any.

57. Gail says:

Was on top floor (5th) of Dr’s office today in Chestnut Hill near Boston, sitting in waiting room, chairs began to rock side-to-side, thought someone was bumping the chairs around but nobody in that row but me… looked up to see the woman sitting across the room from me watching the tall magazine rack swaying a bit… we both looked at each other, shrugged shoulders and went back to our reading…I just thought some work was getting done on the roof – then heard office staff calling out it was an earthquake. Very weird…

58. Comic says:

We are safe in Southwest Florida. No earthquakes or even hurricanes our way.

Massachusetts? Tornadoes, earthquakes and hurricanes…oh my! ;-)

59. House of commons in england says:

The overall game of football is regarded the most popular sports activity in the world yet handful of may understand that it’s one of many oldest games at the same time.Jak kupic Dom w Anglii

60. Nabila Boudjemaa says:

America industry for illustration is really a extremely volatile industry in today’s times. In reality, our niche development is pretty minimal. Eventhough it is possible that we get increased monetary …Kredyt na Mieszkanie w Anglii