NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Unemployed Dorchester Man Wins $32 Million In Mega Millions Lottery

View Comments
Candido Oliveira of Dorchester

Candido Oliveira of Dorchester

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

BOSTON (CBS) – The person who bought a winning $32 million Mega Millions lottery ticket in Dorchester last week has come forward.

Forty-year-old Candido Oliveira of Dorchester went to Massachusetts Lottery Headquarters in Braintree Tuesday morning to claim his prize.

Oliveira, who is unemployed, had the option of receiving the full $32 million jackpot in annual payments over 26 years or he could take a one-time lump sum payment of $22.9 million.

WBZ-TV’s Jim Smith reports

WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Doug Cope reports.


He chose the lump sum, which came to $15.5 million after taxes.

Oliveira said he has no immediate plans for the money, but might buy a car and do something special for his family.

He told reporters he plays the lottery on a regular basis, but he buys one ticket at a time, including his winning purchase last week.

He bought the ticket at the Tedeschi’s on Neponset Avenue and was the only one with the winning numbers in Friday night’s national Mega Millions drawing.

The store owner gets a $50,000 commission for selling the winning ticket.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus