Keller @ Large: Perry Sends Romney His Love

BOSTON (CBS) – Texas Governor Rick Perry blew a kiss to Mitt Romney after the two traded barbs on their jobs record.

“Send him my love,” Perry told reporters.

The kiss was more like a taunting challenge by Perry for the title of best job creator.

Romney says, “To create jobs it helps to have had a job, I had a job for 25 years in the private sector.”

WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller Is At Large

According to researchers at Northeastern University, Massachusetts was the only state in the nation to post no gain in the number of employed residents during the Romney years, when the state ranked at or near the bottom in measurements of labor market health.

No wonder Romney wants his private sector jobs record considered along with his term as Governor.

But in fairness to Romney, he inherited a mess, and faced partisan resistance to many of his initiatives.

The Texas economy is in relatively good shape. But Perry’s Texas benefited from an oil price boom that hurt other states, and has thrived on the sort of federal spending that candidate Perry now denounces.

Perry and Romney will share the stage at a Republican debate after Labor Day.

More from Jon Keller

1. Mark says:

There is not a winner in the bunch. The GOP is full of whack jobs. Obama doesn’t know waht to do or how to do it. What choice do we have here. Not one of them is worth a grain of sand. Once again we will have to choose the lesser of 2 evils. Not sure who that is yet!

1. tsal says:

It’s not someone who will continue to ensure that the wealthy (be it individual or corporation) gets all of the breaks and puts the rest of America in the poor house. You are right that the choice is not good.

2. tsal says:

I think Perry has also blown a kiss to many in his state. He has chosen to load his budget with IOUs and hidden shortfalls that will come due in many cases after the election. He balanced the budget by not allowing for increased school enrollment and cutting $4 billion from public education spending. It is estimated that there will be more than 160,000 new students in the TX schools in the next 2 years. The poverty rate in Texas is rising and will continue to rise. Perry’s budget covers medicare through the spring of 2013 and is $4,8 billion short. Only a few examples of just how successfully he’s managed to pull the wool over the eyes of some.

Yep – he’s not only throwing a kiss to Romney, he’s giving the rest of America a gesture too but it may not be as nice as a kiss.

3. mikey says:

Perry strikes me as the third coming of G.W. Jiminy Cricket!

1. BostonIrish says:

I’d take him over Obama any day of the week!

1. mikey says:

I’d take Jiminy Cricket over Obama. I’d take Romney over Perry.

4. BostonIrish says:

Mikey, I’m trying to like Romney, but he’s too plastic. He says exactly what I expect him to say. He comes off as so scripted.

5. mikey says:

Irish, I think Romney trys too hard to be something he’s not, the average Joe. Obviously talented business wise. I’ll vote for whoever becomes the Republican nominee.

This country is so broke yet 2.2 million recently blown for a couple of buses so Obama can go a “smoke and mirrors ” tour. I’m totally disgusted. Just a couple million more wasted. Pathetic.