Liquor Store Puts Hybrid Parking Closer To Door Than Handicapped Spots

MANCHESTER, N.H. (CBS) – One effort to “go green” in New Hampshire has run into trouble with the disabled at a new state liquor store.

Handicapped accessible spots are now farther from the door than spots for hybrid cars.

To some customers, this parking scheme is an inconvenience. To lawmakers it’s an outrage.

James Fox, a disability advocate says it may even be illegal.

WBZ-TV’s Lauren Leamanczyk reports

“It violates the ADA, almost assuredly, and just on a basic common sense level, it doesn’t make any sense.”

Fox is a disability advocate who had to pass by several cars to get to the front door.

The liquor commissioner would not agree to an interview about the controversy. Instead, he issued this statement.

“Our goal is to design stores that are welcoming to all, as well as stores that promote energy conservation and save on operating costs. We are confident that the final parking plan…can achieve both of these important objectives.”

He’s asked the governor’s commission on disabilities to give an opinion on the parking scheme. People with disabilities are already forming theirs.

The building is designed to meet federal green incentives. Hybrid parking is one of those incentives. But, the commission says today’s parking scheme is only temporary and it can be re-visited.

Comments

1. al4624 says:

R u kidding me?! hybrids have their own parking spots now….wow this world is lazy….god forbid u have to walk another 5 feet!!! give me a break!!

2. Susan M says:

What about my minivan that holds 7 people? That is much more “green” per person. But no “special” parking for me? Nor should there be special parking for ANYone other than those with physical disabilities. That is just nuts! I would refuse to spend my money at that liquor store.

3. gigi says:

I highly doubt the incentive to park a few feet closer will be enough motivation for those looking to purchase a “green” vehicle. Those with physical disabilities need to be closer to the entrance because it is difficult for them to make the distance not because they drive a particular car. Who thinks of these stupid ideas?

4. KF4766 says:

This is as annoying as the spots reserved for pregnant women and “mothers with infants” parking that I see everywhere. C’mon people! Walking is good for you!

5. Ron says:

We will probably never know the name of the GENIUS whose idea this was.

But I’ll bet he works for the State of NH

6. Rob D says:

First of all, I would like to say I did not know HYBRIDS got their own designated spots, that’s just kinda….wow. BUT, Let me throw this out there.

At the local dollar store, right in front of the doors is a sidewalk. A little bit past the doors is a few handicapped spots, but right in front of the doors are non-handicapped. The reason? The ramp is with the handicapped spots, while there is a curb in front of the store itself.

So essentially, the handicapped spots followed the ramp. Did this happen here, too, and nobody though about looking at that?

OH HEY LOOK AT THAT RIGHT IN THE VIDEO the ramp is with the handicapped spots.

That explains why the spots are where they are. Now, should they be rearranged? I always thought so, but, there may be some sort of building code that had to be followed. Who knows.