Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

Your Dog Could Be A Liability For Homeowners Insurance

BOSTON (CBS) – Did you know your dog could be a big insurance liability?

If you want to buy a house or update your homeowners insurance, you need to make sure your dog doesn’t kill the deal.

Most insurance carriers have a list of breeds they will not cover.

Among them are pit bulls, Rottweilers, Chows, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Dobermans, Alaskan Malamutes, Great Danes, Boxers, bulldogs and Akitas.

“It’s irresponsible owners that give these dogs a bad (reputation),” Laura Hines, the owner of PEThingz! in Littleton, told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

Hines said it’s a bad policy, because some people are forced to lie or give up their dogs.

Marie Babineau owns a four-year-old American Bulldog named Diesel. She said she and her husband couldn’t get homeowners insurance because their dog is on the so-called blacklist.

Fortunately, they found a quasi-state plan, called the FAIR Plan (Fair Access to Insurance Requirements), which did cover them.

Massachusetts insurance commissioner Joe Murphy said it’s probably the best option for a lot of dog owners.

“We have an entity known as the Mass. Property Insurance Underwriting Association and they’ll cover those risks that can’t get coverage in the voluntary market,” he told WBZ.

“(It’s) just the same as a policy in the voluntary market and their rates are actually quite competitive.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Karen Twomey reports

Murphy said they don’t tell insurance carriers how to measure liability.  They just make sure it’s applied correctly and consistently.

Comments

1. JBTop says:

Mass Property is HORRIBLE!!! We had just moved into our house- we were still unpacking, the man ( who we could not understand) said they would not cover us because of the moving boxes still in the house!!!

2. Willow says:

I was speaking to my vet about this very thing recently, and what I found interesting is that there are more people bitten by the family dog, for example, Retrievers and Labradors, and the little ankle biters, then by any other dogs. I think it’s unfair to blacklist specific dogs because of bad owners who make these dogs mean. Animals are not born mean, they’re taught to be that way by abuse and neglect. Come on, give the shelters a break and allow people to keep their pets.

3. BILL says:

I have two Akitas and two kids and they all get a long I spent a long time with the dog to get them to knowgood and bad and my ins comp stell make me pay a lot of money after i show that they went to dog school

4. Sage says:

Just list your dog as a mixed breed.

5. Jenelle says:

Just bought my first house, AMICA said they would cover my Staffordshire bull terrier, they just wanted to meet him, which was fine because he is an outstandingly well behaved dog. Two weeks after closing, I haven’t even moved in yet, they sent me an email…’oops! We won’t cover that breed!’ So frustrating, I have 7 days to find insurance, and I’m NOT giving him away!

6. Dudley says:

Sage,

If you lie to an insurance company about the dog, the insured suffers a bite loss, and the insurance company later determines the dog was a pure breed, the insurance company will be within their rights to deny the claim based on errors and omissions. It’s no different than an insured lying about an under-aged driver living in a household, who proceeds to smash the insured’s car into a tree. The company does not have to pay the claim in this situation either.

There will ALWAYS be a company out there willing to write a certain risk. In NYS, there are “doggie liability” policies one can secure on a monoline basis (alongside their HO insurance) that will cover this exposure.

7. MClaudia Fernandes de Araujo says:

While using economy the form it can be in, a lot of families have experienced, or even are still facing financial struggles. Health insurance can simply start to tumble have less a person’s list of …Ubezpieczenia Anglia UK