Remorseful Robber Returns Stolen Items To Frightened Woman

By Lauren Leamanczyk, WBZ-TV's New Hampshire Bureau Chief

PLAISTOW, N.H. (CBS) – A purse snatching robber in New Hampshire is begging forgiveness, but neither police nor the victim are buying his apology.

A woman named Berny was shopping at her local grocery store last week when her purse was stolen.  She said the purse was sitting in her cart while she turned her back.  Before she knew it, it was gone.

She couldn’t believe it when a seemingly remorseful robber showed up on her doorstep a few days later and returned her things.

“I couldn’t say anything. Literally just stood there,” she told WBZ-TV.

WBZ-TV’s Lauren Leamanczyk reports

Surveillance video captured the suspect.  You can see him shoving Berny’s things in his pocket and rushing out.  The robber made off with Berny’s wallet, GPS and $90 bucks.

He brought them all back, including an extra $10 and a letter.

The letter is addressed to “the lady I victimized.”  The robber begs forgiveness and says the purse snatching was out of character and claims he’ll never do it again.  It’s signed, “Stupid”

Berny has a good heart.  She wanted to forgive and forget and thought about asking police to go easy on the robber.

“I said gee if the police ask me if he should be prosecuted, I thought maybe I’ll suggest community service…then boom. The next day I found out it happened again.”

Police say this robber is a pro who has done it before and is only sorry he got caught.  He didn’t return the items until his picture was in the local paper.

“It’s very calculated the way how he performed this crime,” said Lt. William Baldwin of the Plaistow Police Department.  “I believe he’s done this many times before.”

Berny was scared at first, but now she just wants someone caught.

“I definitely want him to be caught because he has to answer for what he did.”

Read: The apology letter (.pdf)

Investigators say he was also seen in a neighboring town by an off-duty police officer, but got away.

They were able to update their description of him:

• White male with fair skin
  • 5’10 and heavy set
  • Blue eyes
  • Late 20’s – mid 30’s
  • Light brown, short hair with light brown close cropped beard and mustache
  • Name brand baseball caps (Nike/Patriots)
  • Dark colored, older cargo shorts w/large pockets
  • Dark colored name brand T-shirts (Nike)
  • Converse high top, light gray sneakers (like new) or sandals
  • He drives a newer red car, “like a station wagon but not one.”

Anyone with information should call the Plaistow Police Department at 603-382-1200.

Comments

1. Sullyinma says:

If only the clowns in Washington, DC were as remorseful as this thief is. The US would be a better place.

2. Liz says:

If the guy gave her more money and a new cord… do we really need to make such a big deal about it? I realize it was a crime, and I don’t blame the woman for being upset or scared. However, so many crimes happening every moment of the day… do we really need to chase down the one that’s remorseful without being caught? Maybe the guy is down on his luck (like he alludes to) and made a dumb decision in a moment of weakness. It’s a tough world out there; at least he had a conscience which is more than I can say for most “criminals.”

3. Meme says:

This guy is to be commended. His conscience got the better of him. Give him a break…he did the right thing. I certainly would not be afraid of him again.

In fact, I would say “thank you” to him for returning the woman’s belongings.

4. Nicholas Ouimet says:

Nice to see that a robber thought about his actions, and then did the right thing!

5. P says:

Leave him alone,sounds like a decent guy in a bad spot where noone was hurt.

6. Shawn Dufresne says:

The woman seems paranoid. Move on. If the guy shows up again then worry. If the guy gets caught I think he should be given a light sentence.

7. Mitchell Peterson says:

Let him go, if he does it again 2 counts, i mdone lots of stupid things in my life, i turned out a good guy

8. Joe says:

I have to agree with the other comments. I’ve gone thru some tough times in my life and have thought about doing something stupid (never to harm anyone physically) just once to get myself out of a hole. However, I never had the cohones to do it and my conscience always got the better of me. This guy did it and when his conscience refused to let him sleep he did the right thing.

Does it make it right? NO. If he’s caught then he needs to go before a judge but I hope the judge will see he has already convicted himself and any further action more than community service or probation will be a waste of time and money. This is a rare and good example of when true rehabilitation is the right option.

9. D Caf says:

A man with a working conscience who made amends to his victim on his own! Refreshing.

10. tsal says:

The story makes you smile. We are seeing the worst of times – at least for the majority of us – and even when desperate we see the best of what a person can be.

11. Willow says:

The article says that the guy returned the lady’s things only after his picture was put in the paper because they caught him on surveillance. I’m not sure that he is such a nice guy after all.

12. Kelo says:

It sounds as if the man was caught the very next day, robbing AGAIN.

Quote from the victim, “I thought maybe I’ll suggest community service…then boom. The next day I found out it happened again.”

The story isn’t very clear, but that’s my take on it.

13. Cheryl says:

See the ladies comment below! He only brought her things back because his face is on the front page of the newspaper! I myself was robbed at a Market Basket, and it wasn’t pleasant, although worse than what this guy did, and I still have nightmares about it, only wish they had cameras in their parking lot, they may have caught him. So, NO, I don’t feel sorry for this robber and if he’s caught they should throw the book at him! I know times are tough, but there are better ways to feed your family other than stealing from some elderly woman!
    Ladies Quote: