US Attorney Fights Evidence Disclosure In Sudbury Man’s Terror Case
BOSTON (AP) — U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. is asking a federal judge not to release certain evidence against a Massachusetts man accused in a terror plot, saying the disclosure of “top secret” materials could harm national security.
Tarek Mehanna of Sudbury is accused in an indictment of conspiring to kill American troops in Iraq in support of al-Qaida.
In court documents, Holder says evidence gathered through electronic surveillance and physical searches under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act should be reviewed by a judge privately and not turned over to the defense.
Holder says the materials contain “sensitive and classified information concerning United States intelligence sources and methods.”
Mehanna’s lawyers did not immediately return calls seeking comment Monday. They have said previously that prosecutors built their case on anti-American statements made by Mehanna.
(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)