Boston Named Worst-Dressed City In America

BOSTON (CBS) – A list on GQ magazine’s website has named Boston the worst-dressed city in America.

“Boston is like America’s Bad-Taste Storm Sewer,” wrote GQ correspondent John B. Thompson. “[A]ll the worst fashion ideas from across the country flow there, stagnate, and putrefy.”

The article, which names the 40 American cities with the most severe sartorial struggles, places much of the blame for the dishonor on Boston’s extensive population of college students in sweatshirts, leggings and Ugg boots, dressed to “fit in at the country’s largest frat party on Lansdowne behind Fenway.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports.

Thompson also criticizes Bostonians for going too far with preppy styles.

At the other end of the spectrum, he describes the average resident of Cambridge or Somerville as dressing “like the proprietor of his or her very own meth lab.”

Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Manhattan make the rest of the top five.  Rounding out the top ten are Philadelphia, Maui, Salt Lake City, Miami and St. Louis.

Martha’s Vineyard ranked at number 14 for “aggressively preppy” fashions.

More from Bernice Corpuz
Comments

1. big1968 says:

They had to do a study to figure this out? It is obvious every time one looks outside.

2. Kyle says:

Ridiculous! I’ve lived all over the nation and there is NO WAY Boston is the worst dressed city. As an avid reader of GQ I have to say there has been an anti-Boston sentiment for a very long time now. Perhaps this is just GQ’s pro NYC stance boiling over and taking aim at our fair city again.

1. Julie the Jarhead says:

I could never understand NYC’s inferiority complex in regards to Boston.

1. SRose says:

NYC doesn’t have an inferiority complex. Nice try though.

2. Edmond Hilbert Bombasticus says:

If you knew the author, you would happen to know that he is a New Yorker transplanted in Cambridge – attending Harvard.

1. harry says:

they look comfy!!who wants heels-suits to go around town,great for u Bostonians,u look great to us mainers too

3. Donny says:

Haters gonna hate.

4. roadbowler says:

PULL UP YOUR PANTS!!!!

5. AceMaster says:

Doesn’t surprise me one bit. Too many people walking around that have the brains but no common sense. Can solve complicated math equations but can’t get themselves dressed in the morning.

6. John Maloney says:

Slaters gonna slate

7. Misha Baikal says:

Yeah, great idea. Let’s judge a person by the way they dress because clothing really defines you as a person. Let’s buy a bunch of stuff made in children sweat shops. Fasion, shoes, expensive cars, bigger TV set – all small minded people worry about that. Who cares about who dresses in what. It’s intelligence, character, natural beauty. I wear all second hand clothing and proud of it. It looks good and I paid $3 dollars for my slightly used sneakers.

Then I had some money left over to donate to alternative energy foundation. If everyone of you small minds did that maybe we would live in a world that’s a little better and sweat shops would go out of business.

Libertarian here. Ron Paul 2012

1. Misha Baikal says:

and before someone jumps in to tell me taht Ron Paul is republican, I KNOW

8. alissa says:

Wow, there is a war going on, people are hungry, people are losing their jobs and homes, Casey Anthony got away with murdering her child and GQ and others are making hateful comments on how people dress? I wish that was the world’s only problem!

9. YAYA says:

So let me get this straight… Boston is the worst dressed city on here. But Jersey isnt atleast listed as number 10? have you seen Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious. I mean i like the shows but lets get real on what the eff they wear! RIDICULOUS.

10. jaygee says:

Fashion is what one wears oneself. What is unfashionable is what other people wear. Good taste is better than bad taste but bad taste is better than no taste at all.

11. Ellen says:

I don’t give a dame. Not giving up my Tees and Pajama jeans for no one.

12. Mark says:

Fashion is overrated, especially when your drinking form the Stanley Cup.

13. pat says:

Boston i guess we are the meanest ugliest dressed city in the world huh? Who the hell reads GQ

14. grace says:

I’m someone who loves fashion and loves shopping in NYC. I also love shopping on Melrose when I’m out in LA. So I have to say after living in CA and traveling to NYC numerous times, I’m not suprised by these findings. I find everyone here is very preppy and too ann taylorish….boring in my opinion. NY and CA take some chances with fashion. Trendy fashion In NY or LA will get you compliments, but around here some strange looks. A little too conservative for me. However, I live way out in the burbs and everyone around me wears pajama bottoms and t shirts, so jeans and a t shirt would be fashionable around here. Wow now Boston is the meanest and most unfashionable. Funny, but not far from the truth.