Fire At Quincy Apartment Complex Sparked By Grill

By Alana Gomez, WBZ-TV

QUINCY (CBS) – A major fire that began Saturday night heavily damaged an apartment complex on Falls Boulevard in Quincy, leaving dozens of residents homeless.

The fire started in the Faxon Park Apartment Complex on Falls Boulevard around 9:30 pm.

Quincy fire officials said that the fire started on a second floor balcony because someone was grilling.

Resident Jeffrey Spratt said he lives across the hall from where the fire started and said he heard his neighbor frantically calling 911.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports.

“When I saw her come out she was saying there was a fire on the balcony and there was a barbecue,” said Spratt.

An ordinance in the town bans the use of barbecues on balconies.

Jared Coffin lives on the third floor above where the fire started. He lost a ferret, but was able to save another ferret and his dog.

“This way she has a chance of having a great life now and that means a lot,” said Coffin about his dog Ramona, who was a rescue dog.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports.

Firefighters say the 24-unit building will likely be torn down with the next couple of days.

quincygrill Fire At Quincy Apartment Complex Sparked By Grill

This grill was seen after the fire burned out at the Quincy apartments.

At least 12 people were being assisted by the Red Cross while the rest of the residents found shelter with relatives, friends or neighbors.

“This neighborhood is such a great place to stay. Everybody’s so friendly and so nice and so giving,” Trang Pratt told WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe.

Everyone escaped safely. One firefighter sustained minor injuries because of a fall.

  • John Snow

    Your radio says patio (should be safe to grill). This article states porch (definetly unsafe). Please clarify.

  • alan

    Why no video, channel 4? Should have had spectacular footage! CBS and WBZ are slipping very badly!

  • Dr

    I hope they file charges against the dummy that cared more about her tasty food than safety and following rules that are there for an obvious reason

  • Ellen

    You don’t grill when you live in apartments. It’s stupid to say the least. Now if you live in a single family home with a backyard that’s different, but not if you live in a condo or apartment buildings so closely linked together with no backyard to speak of. I would think any one with any common sense would realize that one.

  • Sasquatch

    2ND floor dummy Snow…not many ground level patios on second floor. You say porch others may say piazza some say veranda..perhaps deck.. Dip turd grilling against the law, should be responsible for everyone’s personal losses.

  • Joan Hogan

    I Certainly Hope Serious Charges are filed against her. This Woman’s Actions
    Could Have killed Many People. IT IS ABSOLUTELY 100 % Illegal to Barbecque
    On A back Porch Or Patio. She Should be charged Criminally, As Well as, Sued

  • Kris Haight

    I often tell people when I see them having BBQ’s on a second floor porch that its actually illegal to do so (It is). Yet I just get dirty looks like I don’t know what I’m talking about. This is why its illegal folks…

    • john

      dont you know??? there are MANY people in this world that feel that laws,ordinances, rules,regulations dont apply to them. i say the building owner sues the socks off the ‘griller’

  • BarbaraZU


    Just saying hi to the forum.


    ]luther film

  • emom

    AH dont folks nread their rule books for condo units, apartments or multy family dwellings… Did they walk away from the grill…. thats a gas flame, what did they poor half a bottle of lighter fluid on it. Really lack of judgement With whom ever caused it…. Feel bad for all that lost so much,,,,

  • jaygee

    Having seen the video of this inferno, the individual who caused it should be given at least 1 year in jail for starters.

  • Every day I learn about something new that is BANNED in Massachusetts.

    […] […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live