Neighbor Complaints Force Monson Tornado Victims To Move Temporary Home

MONSON (CBS) – A family in Monson, who lost their entire house to a devastating tornado on June 1, is now having to deal with insulting complaints from neighbors.

Tina and Corey Partlow set up a temporary mobile home, paid for by insurance, on the property of Tina’s mother while they wait for their Bethany Road home to be rebuilt.

But, someone called the town to complain about this temporary solution. The Partlows say they had verbal permission from the town to set up the home while waiting for the paper permit.

“It’s unbelievable somebody could be so cold and callous after what everyone in town has gone through. We’re living in an eyesore, this whole town is devestated by the tornado,” said Tina Partlow.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports.

“It’s not bringing home values down, it’s a temporary fix and it will be gone,” said Corey Partlow.

Related: FEMA Encourages Victims To Apply For Aid

Their home is now being demolished on a street littered with piles of debris where houses once stood.

Regardless of the issue, the family has been told to move as soon as possible, and they are now in the process of scheduling the job. The Partlows say their lot is barely big enough to house the mobile home while still leaving room for new construction.

They also said they can’t deal with the emotion of living among the ruins.

“I don’t want my kids to wake up to the destruction every morning. It’s better for them to heal first,” said Corey Partlow.

They plan to rebuild their home on the same site.

The couple says they have no idea who called in the complaints, and Tina’s mother Karen McDonald says she has never had any problems with her neighbors.

But for now, they just want that person who complained to call authorities and tell them the home is not a problem where it is.

“The whole town’s been destroyed and you think they’d have some compassion,” said Corey Partlow. “You think they would realize the tornado victims who don’t have a house to go to.”

Tina Partlow was home at the time the tornado hit, seeking shelter in the basement.

“The sounds and then walking out and kicking our way out of the house through all the debris and seeing the landscape changed,” she says is something she will never forget.

Watching their home in ruins is the eyesore the Partlows can’t live with.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano contributed to this report.

More from Beth Germano
Comments

1. Jannet says:

They got a permit and were given permission to place it in the woods, right? Why should they have to move it?

1. Will says:

Shame on that individual.

2. Ron says:

They have to move because ONE IDIOT complained.

3. Mike says:

Do not move it. You have all the proper permits from the Town!

4. brat says:

Probably the same kinda people who would call the cops if a 6 year old set up a lemonade stand in their neighborhood, Seems to me that the tornado hit the wrong house. KARMA!

5. Cubby Shane Flynn says:

what jerks……It does not surprise me that this person who called is without compassion…that is what the world is turning into and it makes me sick

6. decol says:

I hope the people that complained about someone elses misfortune are proud of themselves! I hope someday you get the same treatment—see how you would like it.

7. Big Momma says:

small town..most likely the person who complained either works for the town or knows someone. Your typical old cranky Yankee

8. Joe says:

A word of advice to those that complained about a permitted and temporary solution for a family whose home was destroyed. I hope you read this and have a little trouble sleeping when you realize life has a funny way of coming full circle …………. KARMA IS A BIT#H!

9. Willow says:

How unfortunate that some people have no compassion for others. This person is blessed that they have a home standing, but can only find fault for someone devastated by the tornado. I agree with others here. If they have the proper permit, then there’s no reason to move it. The same person will probably complain anyway that the trailer is on their property too.

God bless thse folks, and I’m so sorry for their loss.

10. Jennifer says:

How awful. Move your trailer back where it will do you the most good.
    Don’t be bullied by someone who clearly has issues and not very bright, afterall the cops know who called in the complaint, the phone number is now in thier log.
    ;)

11. Al says:

The cops aren’t very bright in this case. They should have explained to the complainer, that this is a temporay and permitted situation.
    Then they should have gone to their house and arrested them for stupidity.

12. Lori says:

To all the families devasted by the tornados a few weeks ago… You have my thoughts & prayers for a quick cleanup and a super quick reply from your insurance companies. And to the neighbor who complained… didn’t you ever watch Mr. Rogers neighborhood? Be KIND to your neighbor. I guess you never learned the definition of the words kind and neighbor in vocabulary class.

13. jean says:

There has to be more to the story than what is in this article. How can one neighbor’s complaint force them to move the house if they have all the necessary permits???

1. Rick Simon Sr says:

I absolutely agree

14. MASS RESIDENT SAD says:

i HOPE NOONE EVERY FINDS OUT WHO COMPLAINED FOR WHAT GOES AROUND COME BACK TO YOU KARMA A REAL MOTHER F…..

I HOPE THEY GET WHATT COMING TO THEM.
    DO NOT MOVE LET THEM GO ON VACATION AND LEAVE THERE HOUSE
    WOW

15. sean says:

I agree with Brat, the tornado hit the wrong house

16. me says:

I find fault with the town. If the permits were acquired for a temporary solution, the response to the complaint should have been “Thanks for the call, the permits are in order, I trust you will drop the matter now.”

Instead they actually brought it to the poor family and told them they have to move. What asshats.

1. Michelle says:

good point!

17. emom says:

WOW UNBELIEVEABLE, a self centered , self righteous , arrogant impassionate, cold hearted, empty husk of a subhuman………………. REALLY I wonder if that person who complained had either no damage or hardly no damage… COMPASSION, more like a person that bullies a lot of folks… Think about it. There is probably someone in that neighborhood that always complains, Bet It won’t be hard to tell WHO IT IS, Lets hope this person has not taught KIDS the same LACK OF RESPECT, Lack of moral code, Lets hope it’s a single cranky old fool, That is so lonely and miserable that all he or she has to do all day is WHINE & COMPLAIN……..OH YEAH KARMA is so waiting for that person…..

18. I_hate_the_south says:

Here’s an idea- move to where there aren’t any tornados. That solves the problem of having to live in a trailer in the first damn place.

1. petem says:

Do you have any idea what you’re talking about? This tornado happened in Massachusetts. we have maybe one tornado a year.
      Maybe you should move a place you could get an edumacation.

1. Online Posting is a waste of time says:

What an idiotic statement that is. I guess this person doesn’t realize that tornadoes happen all over the country. This is the same type of person that would complain about a homeless family having a trailer to live in because they didn’t like how it looked. There screen name says it all. The first two words are I hate. Yes you do and it shows in the hateful words you used.

2. somepeopleyoujustcan'treach says:

F ing Tool.

19. Michelle says:

WOW what an idiot. They complained because the trailer was an eyesore, really???? What the heck to they think the tornado damage is, new decorations???? Some people just amaze me with their cold callousness and stupidity. I hope the complainer reads this post.

20. jc says:

what ever happened to love thy neighbors as thyself? shame on them…

21. Glenn says:

Sounds to me if they are being forced to move the temporary house on the counts that one person complained. That one person must be someone important in that town to have that kinda pull.

I mean if they have a permit they should not have to move it. Shame on the idiot who complained – But what comes around goes around, that person who complained will find out someday in there life when they are in need.

22. ginnyB says:

ugg… how stupid can some people be….. bet it would be different if the shoe was on the other foot….. some people have little else to do i guess…. would have been nice if the people that complained offered to help instead….

23. RONWIE says:

Why not publicize the name of the complainant? These people do not deserve anonymity.

24. blackbear1 says:

The name of the complainent should be in the public Police Log, which they are mandated to have available for the public to view, I agree w/Jean, what is the rest of the story. There has to be more. Al, the town is dumb, not the Police. You obviously don’t like Cops.

1. tsal says:

blackbear I agree with what you said and Al obviously doesn’t like cops but I’m not sure names of complainants are put in the public records.

Also, in most towns there has to be a town hearing on any structure that violates code. I do not know if this trailer violates code and if there is anything in writing. However, if code is broken and one neighbor does complain that may be all it takes to have the trailer removed.

I don’t know what kind of pathetic individual would do such a thing, however.

25. Jim says:

The town and the police are jerks. This never should have gone this far it’s obviously a case of the tail wagging the dog. I would begin to look at what politician or public employee (cop) lives in the neighborhood first. Control Freak Rule.

26. Becky says:

I live a few towns away and an area of my town was devastaed by the tornado. I am just shocked and amazed how so many people want to come out and help, help these people who’s insurance companies only give $500 for tree removal, help and try to pick these people up from their lives that have been turned upside down, to nasty vile people who just want to spread misery. These towns were looted- a station wagon with Tennesee license plates was pulled over with 16 TV’s in Brimfield. There are poeple trying to sign up for assistance with fake addresses to try and get some of the donations. This person who complained should be ashamed of themselves. I know for myself, each time I drive up in the affected areas to volunteer for brush removal, I am stunned all over again. Where there once was trees, driveways and houses.. there are now just Broken trees with house numbers spray painted on them to identify where a house once stood. I would want my children to not wake up to that each day either! This person has to be one of the most selfish individuals known to mankind!

27. Joel Taft says:

In all honesty it takes away from the wreckage and devastation you know? I mean heaven forbid you start to rebuild so soon. The nerve of some people to make progress so quickly. I know I enjoy my rubble right where it is. There just isn’t enough plaster and pink panther insulation blowing around my front yard these days…. For shame I say for shame…

1. Joel Taft says:

If you think about it the neighbors who complained were just jealous that the trailer was nicer than their house. Talk about Tornado Devistation Envy!

28. Phred says:

If they have the proper permits then they should stay put, right where they are. Let some whiny a** jerk complain all he wants and forget about it. Eventually they’ll find out who it was and when they do I hope they post it right here so justice can be done.

29. Lori says:

I lived in a trailer for a short time as a child after my home burned down. The stero type of trailers is of trash but that is not always the case. I’m sure this family had a nice home before the tornado. Perhaps the complaner was jealous that their home wasn’t ruined and they won’t be getting insurance money to build a better home. Stop trying to keep up with the jonses and stop trying to put dow families who (who through the misfortune of mother nature) CAN keep up.

30. Rick says:

I cannot believe that the town would ask them to move the temp. housing trailer.
    Do they not know what happened to their town? One would think they would “ALL” be pulling together to get the town back together. makes one wonder what the hell are people thinking these day.

31. kathy says:

Sounds like his/her/their only purpose in life to justify their existence is to complain because it’s the only thing they’re any good at.

32. walt says:

this person is an ahole .they should drive aruond and look what has happened. they need to get a lifeand get there head out of there a.
    lets all be happy that alot more people did not die.

33. tank says:

good luck with the house

34. Pete says:

To the individuals who filed the complaint……be man enough to step forward from under the shadows and explain your position. If not, you are totally spineless!

35. Ilene says:

If the people who complained about this poor family who lost their home among the other wreckage thing their temporary home is an eyesore, how about the complainers take them into their homes??? I was in Monson over the weekend and saw a poor man sifting through the rubble of what used to be his home. Why would anyone with any feelings complain about such a thing???????

36. Linda Pinder says:

This is just wrong. This family has a permit in process, and that complaining individual should back off. I sincerely hope someone in authority at Monson’s town hall tells these heartless individuals that they should go to see the tornado’s path to see what a real eyesore looks like. If people knew who the complainer was, he/she would be the most reviled person in the state!! The kids need their grandparents, the victim needs her mom and dad to help them get through this. BACK OFF, COMPLAINER!

37. Gail says:

How about someone with access to the public police log look up this individual’s name and post it? That would be an eye[-opener. I’d bet that same person is well-known to the town as being a busybody and a general pain in the a*s!

38. Theresa M. Houghton says:

Here is a FB page that supports this family, PLEASE join: