BOSTON (CBS) – It is the frustrating reality of being a consumer, and some say its getting worse.
It turns out most of us aren’t very happy with customer service at stores across the country.
According to a survey by Consumer Reports, 65 percent are “tremendously annoyed” by rude salespeople, while 64 percent said they have left a store due to poor service.
Some of the biggest gripes for consumers include:
- Not talking to an actual human on the phone
- The many steps needed to get to talk to a person on the phone
- Rude or pushy sales people
So, what’s a unhappy consumer to do?
WBZ-TV’s Kate Merrill reports.
Consumer Reports recommends that customers:
- Find a real live person to complain to
- Keep a record of when you called and who you spoke to
- Take the record to the supervisors and be persistent and loud
- Use social media outlets like Twitter
On the flip side, Consumer Reports advises customers to avoid being a complainer. Make sure you give praise when you get a good outcome.
Consumer Reports also identified the best and worst companies when it comes to customer service.
Walmart and Sam’s Club were among the worst in eight catagories, including appliances, electronics, cell phones and supermarkets.
Meanwhile, Apple won praise for their retail service for cell phones, computer tech support and electronics.