Fire Tears Through Mattapan Home, 8 Residents Evacuate
MATTAPAN (CBS) – A two-alarm fire damaged a two-family home in Mattappan on Tuesday.
The porches at the back of 210 Harvard Street were completely charred after the fire, and that’s where firefighters believe the blaze started at around 5:30 p.m.
Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said eight people living in the two-unit building evacuated safely. He also said the fire was so intense that it melted some of the vinyl siding of the building next door.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Bernice Corpuz reports.
The damage to the building is estimated at $200,000.
Firefighters recovered two propane tanks from the back porches, but it’s unclear if the items contributed to the cause of the blaze.