State Trooper Hit By Wrong-Way Suspected Drunk Driver In Dorchester

BOSTON (CBS) – A Weymouth woman was arrested early Saturday morning. Police say she was drunk and driving the wrong way on Morrissey Boulevard when she hit a State Police cruiser.

Massachusetts State Police Trooper Brian Quigley was on routine patrol in a semi-marked cruiser when officers say 28-year-old Cara Dellarbarba was going the wrong way in the northbound lane and slammed into his cruiser. Trooper Quigley had activated his lights in an attempt to stop Dellarbarba before the crash.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

Troopers say Dellabarba then drove over the divider island and tried to escape, but due to extensive damage to the vehicle’s transmission, was forced to stop.

She is charged with drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

Trooper Quigley was treated at Boston Medical Center for a “lower body injury” and returned to work before the end of his shift.

Quigley is the 45th trooper to be hit by a car in the line of duty since the start of 2010.

Comments

1. 1608 says:

Doug the car was hit, not the trooper.

Glad she|he will be okay.

2. Jennifer says:

What do you mean the 45th Trooper to be hit? I thought the State Trooper’s vehicle was hit. “He’s the 45th trooper to be hit by a car in the line of duty since the start of 2010”, sounds like he was hit. Am I wrong?
    I’m not trolling here.
    I just want a better standard of conveying information from my news source!

1. BLACKBEAR1 says:

JENNIFER, YES YOU ARE WRONG AND YOU ARE TROLLING. I DO NOT THINK YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF A “STANDARD OF CONVEYING INFORMATION”. WHAT A QUESTION!! WHAT IS IT YOU DO NOT OR CAN NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS SITUATION?? YOU ARE EITHER AN INCREDIBLE HAIR SPLITTER OR YOU JUST WISH TO UNDERMINE THE POLICE.

3. DummyHaters says:

1608 and Jennifer, both of you are your smart a$$ ignorant comments, you both seriously need to get that technical? Either way, the trooper still got hit, I’m sure his leg was injured because of this drunk idiot, if that was the case would you say something like, “Troopers car was hit and in turn his car steering wheel injured him?” Grow up fools.

4. gtw says:

@DummyHaters……… I couldn’t have said it better. The first paragraph says it all, “…..when she hit a State Police Cruiser.”

5. taxedout says:

Another year going by without Cracking Down harder on drunk drivers. I guess everyone on the hill when they are there is worried about either going to court to testify on one of thier buddies, or worried about themselves going… Do- Nothings!!!!

6. John says:

our lowlife liberal Courts refuse to put drunks behind bars in this State because defending drunk drivers is one of the most lucrative jobs for attorneys in MA. I think every person under the influence involved in a crash that causes bodliy injury, but especially death, should automatically spend 30 days in jail.

7. Mike says:

I’m Very happy that tropper Quigley wasn’t seriously injured …..and the part of the story that really got my attention was that he was treated and finished his shift. There are some workers…..not just cops.. who would have milked an injury for the rest of their lives. OH MY BACK! OH MY ACHING BACK! I CAN NEVER WORK AGAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

8. emom says:

This has become a serious epidemic. 45 troopers have been hit in some way.. I do not understand people,, What’s the THRILL in drinking and then ultimately getting behind the wheel and driving,, What’s the message here, that I am an adult and CAN HANDLE MY BOOZE, what you are doing is setting a standard with our underage drinkers that its perfectly ok to drink, cause its NO BIG FREAKIN DEAL.
    How many more stories are we going to hear about young drivers drinking and driving.. This one 28 and obviously does not know the first thing about handling her booze,,, If she did she would not have hit and TRIED TO RUN.. Or used a brain cell and had someone drive her home.. Take her license away and throw her in JAIL for a FEW years… SEND A MESSAGE TO ALL AGES.. I wonder How many other times has she been stopped for DRUNK DRIVING, How often did she DRINK AS A TEEN, While in school, at a party in the woods or at someone’s home while the parents where away .. I hope they find out her OTHER violations,, it would be yet another case of , DRUNK BELIEVING THEY CAN HANDLE THEIR BOOZE AND MULTY TASK AND DRIVE…. AND BE ABSOLUTLY STUPID.. Stupid darn drunken moron

9. Ron says:

If the people we elect to the legislature didn’t have second jobs defending drunk drivers we might have some tougher driving laws.

10. John T says:

Trooper Quigley suffered a serious leg injury last year apprehending a criminal that warranted extensive surgery and during this accident, he re-injured that leg.
    It is a testament to him that he had the testicular fortitude to return from the ER and finish his shift despite the injury and the pain, which I can only imagine he is feeling today on that leg.
    Great job Brian!!!
    Hope you are OK.

11. isaac craig says:

The main things in this whole situation is that both parties walk or limp away with their lives- they both live to fight another day and thats to me is more important than what can first the chichen or the egg? just thank God that they both lives was spared. God be the glory!